The Lesson I Learned Today

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Sadeyes, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Having had an unpleasant exchange with someone, I realized that what he brought to the table was genuine, no matter how much or little I liked reminded me of this story, and it was so lovely to have learned it today:

The Prime Minister of the Tang Dynasty was a national hero for his success as both a statesman and military leader. But despite his fame, power, and wealth, he considered himself a humble and devout Buddhist. Often he visited his favorite Zen master to study under him, and they seemed to get along very well. The fact that he was prime minister apparently had no effect on their relationship, which seemed to be simply one of a revered master and respectful student.

One day, during his usual visit, the Prime Minister asked the master, "Your Reverence, what is egotism according to Buddhism?" The master's face turned red, and in a very condescending and insulting tone of voice, he shot back, "What kind of stupid question is that!?"

This unexpected response so shocked the Prime Minister that he became sullen and angry. The Zen master then smiled and said, "THIS, Your Excellency, is egotism."

All the best, J
  2. nok1888

nok1888 Well-Known Member

Good story, good lesson
  3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this story.
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well done :)
  5. Dhanjot

Dhanjot Well-Known Member

Hey Sad Eyes, I was just thinking about you before I saw this. Glad to see you posting something such as this :)
  6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Yesterday, I was so worried about certain unpleasant things, and then something wonderful happened. I forgot how temporary everything is...great lesson to have learned:

It Will Pass

A student went to his meditation teacher and said, "My meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"
    "It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.

A week later, the student came back to his teacher. "My meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so alive! It's just wonderful!'

"It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  7. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I've read a similar story, with a king who received a ring from a buddhist that had "this too shall pass" written on it, and he was told to read it whenever he felt depressed. He was also depressed at one time, and happy at another time. I got that story from A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, which is an excellent book, and the message of "this too shall pass" has stuck with me, and is quite helpful.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  8. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Today, I felt very down...several friends in the hospital, one had a stroke, the other is dying of ALS...I felt sorry for myself because I have a lot of problems walking and my life has been serverely chanaged...the ghosts of suicide past were heard for the first time in many life is very hard...I remembered this story and felt I could breathe a little again:

True Friends

A long time ago in China there were two friends, one who played the harp skilfully and one who listen skillfully.

When the one played or sang about a mountain, the other would say: "I can see the mountain before us."

When the one played about water, the listener would exclaim: "Here is the running stream!"

But the listener fell sick and died. The first friend cut the strings of his harp and never played again. Since that time the cutting of harp strings has always been a sign of intimate friendship.

I remembered how blessed I was to have such good friends and that all things, both good and bad, are changes and we must change to accomodate...big hugs, J