The lights are on...... there's nobody home

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Leiaha, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

I just wondered if this happens to anyone else? and, what is it? What is happening?

Sometimes I lose time and can remember nothing at all. The longest it has lasted for is 2 days about 4 months ago. I went to bed on the Tuesday night and woke up thinking it was Wednesday but no, it was friday! according to my family i had gone through my normal routine on the 2 missing days although I hardly spoke and when I did it was nonsensical mostly.

Sometimes this only lasts a few hours, sometimes a morning or a day. Its very scary as i do odd things sometimes. Once during one of these 'absences' I was cutting the hedges in the garden at 4 am. Another time I took an Od. I remember nothing at all.

Does anyone know what this is? Or, does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Lea x
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Had you been drinking heavily or mixing medication? I know that when I'm depressed and not doing anything but sitting in bed and crying I lose track of time - my short term memory goes to shit, but I don't do things while out of it. Hmm.... that's interesting.

When it happens are you getting rest, Lea? It could be an extreme case of insomnia.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  3. Leiaha

Leiaha Well-Known Member

I don't drink and only take prescribed medication. no, everything was normal each time til it happened, nothing out of the ordinary. I think I'm just a mess tbh. A one off, unique, waste of space :dunno:
  4. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

Firstly your not a waste of space hun.secondly i have absences at times but i put it down to the ECT i had 20yrs ago which i strongly believe affected my short term memory,although i have never been able to prove this.Depression can cause absences because of lack of concentration,have you see your gp,there maybe a physical problem it might be worth checking out.It must be really scary for you,sorry i cant be more helpful,take care.
  5. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

6. Troubled2008

Troubled2008 Well-Known Member

You need to see your doctor. You might be allergic to your medication or something. If not, they can help you figure out what it is. This is isn't something that you should let amateurs help you with.
  7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I dissociate a lot, never for that long, but usually for longer and longer periods of time.
  8. Overruled

Overruled Active Member

I've never been out for that long before; my friends and family have seen my do similar things though. They'll ask me something and I'm just not there, and then later they tell me I just sat there for a quarter of an hour completely ignoring everything.

I also just blank out while people are talking, or I'm watching something, or reading a book. My concentration just goes and I end up out in another room or 3 pages ahead, with no idea as to what happened.

I think it's because I have poor concentration and that my mind is filled with crazy crap that sometime takes over. No real explanation though, sorry.

At least we're not alone :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.