The Little Things

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Godsdrummer, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Hey everyone.

Like many of us here, I am not without my depression or problems, etc.

I havent been very supportive of you guys lately, it's been kind of hard for me to do so. Dealing with my own issues and so on.

But I do as always, want to help out in anyway I can.

So, as I was having my morning cigarette, while waiting for my car to warm up this morning, I started to think about this.

I find what helps me, at least on some level, to try and feel, at least a little better, is to focus on the little things. The things we take for granted.

For example; Birds rule the world during the early mornings.

Before everyone is up and at em', the birds have been up for a while, doing whatever it is they do. lol

I like to watch the birds, it's cool to see them in flight. We have some Canadian geese by my work, and watching them take off or coming back in for a landing, is very cool.

Also it is spring time. I try to pay attention to the things like leaves on the trees, the new flowers that have come up. The smell of freshly cut grass.

Regardless of the time of year, I always look up when a plane flies overhead. I still marvel at the technology we possess that allows us to put a thing weighing tons, into the air and actually fly it.

I love going down to the river and looking at the various boats or barges that travel up and down the length.

Renting a movie, or going to the movies, helps me too. Last night I watched the Adam Sandler movie, Click. A movie that has been out for sometime now, but still a really great film.

So when your depression feels at a really low point, I suggest, going outside, talking a walk, embrace the natural world around you, and when you are down, put on that tv and watch something cool.

Take care everyone!
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

What good suggestions...thanks
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Thank you, I needed especially!
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Great suggestions!! :) I love nature, like listening to the birds in the morning or the crickets at night.
  5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Nice thread, I also try and focus on the little things we take for granted when I'm feeling low. Four out of fives time it cheers me up. :)
  6. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

I remember a while back, I was at a bachelor party and as usual I was the last man standing when everyone went to sleep. I remember going outside while it was raining, and there standing in the rain I had this unbelievably overwhelming sensation of how wonderfully beautiful the world really is. I remember, standing in the rain at 4 am in the morning, looking at everything around me and trying to imagine how every blade of grass, every tree, every insect and all the animals around me came into existence. What magnificent odds they overcame just to be there, just to exist. I was seeing things clearly for the first time, and I stood there for almost an hour. I felt cold, it was uncomfortable, but I didn't care. I didn't want that feeling to end.

Naturally, as all things do, it did end and I've been chasing that feeling ever since. But its as you say, you don't really have to look that far to be inspired. Everyday life should be inspiring, its just that most of the time we can't really see it.

Thanks for the thread!
  7. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

To me, this could be a little thing or even a big thing at the same time. Because I take it that what you refer to as a little thing is something that is taken for granted. Well, in that case, for me, it would be the fact that I'm not a criminal. When somebody becomes a criminal, whether being a compulsive thief or compulsively violent, it must be Hell. Especially because they usually end up in prison where it's even worse. You see, I often watch the TV-series Lock-Up, where cameras are taken into actual prisons to show how people live there, and it's horrific. Inmates raping and assaulting each other 24/7. Horrific.

So thank heaven that I had enough of a good upbringing that I respect other people so I don't do anything criminal. As I said, to me, it's both a little thing and a big thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.