The Lottery

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Mayonaise, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mayonaise

Mayonaise Guest

I'm becoming more and more addicted(?) to buying lottery tickets . I dont have much time left on money i hafve in bank and feel as thgouhg its me getting rich or me killing myself

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

The lottery, as it's known in most countries is another means of taxation on the poor. Only a sliver of what they claim in California, U.S.A. goes to education like they claimed it would and only the poor people buy them because it seems like the only way out.

My suggestion to all is: don't buy lottery tickets. It's a government scam, even though there are a few millionaires made here and there.

And to our guest, Mayonaise, please tell us what's up? Send me a private message if you want, I'll respond.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi mayonaise, I'm not going to tell you to not buy them, because that won't help. It would be like you telling me to stop smoking. :eek:hmy:

To beat an addiction you have to get to the root of the problem and tackle it from there. Do you buy them for the thrill or to win? Or is it another reason? When you have the root cause, try and substitute it for something less addictive.

4. Mayonaise

Mayonaise Guest

It is to win that is why i buy these tickets.
    in my mind
    im at a cross roads but one leads to winning
    and one leads to committing suicide
    i have no job and only enouhg money for a little while longer

but every time i b uy a lotto ticket its like a new beginning
    because i still cant wrap my brain around being dead...i cant die i keepsaying the 'cosmos' wont allow this -im grabbing at everything i can to keep me sane i know-
    so every time i buy a ticket i know in my head that i am gonig to win
    i never do and my time is running out

i know i need to get a job but i cant for reasons i dont wish to speak
    i feel pathetic on a level ive not known prior
    i am so trapped

I feel im being too vague and hopeless for anyone to attempt advice. I guess i jsut want to talk about it even if i cant look someone in the eye in person and speak this. Im embarrassed and i apologize if i bring anyone down. i feel bad for seeking help or whatever because i dont feel i am determined enough to change this pattern. so dont devote much thought into your reply. id be stealing you

maybe this is an excuse to not consciously take credit for cchoosing suicide... i didnt choose it, me not winning the lotto chose it ..ya know? Im not saying suicide is just around the corner so dont concern yourself with hat..but im saying the corner ...is just aruond the corner.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

The lottery is a big scam...The odds are stacked against you winning..The couple of years I played The best I ever did was three numbers.. Whoo hoo a whopping 3to 5 bucks ...Most of the time I wouldn't win crap...I can find better things to spend my money on...

6. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

save your money, it's a tax on the working class. you've got more chance of finding a politician without a dodgy expenses claim.

7. dreamachine

dreamachine Active Member

i work in a gas station that sells lottery tickets and i feel so sad a lot. theres a law here that you must pay in cash and that's partially to protect like credit card/check fraud but it's also to try and stop people from depleting their accounts.

also, well yes it is mostly poor people who buy them and i feel sad in general about it but the other day a man came in with a "guaranteed to win the lottery book" and he used it to pick 200 dollars worth of ticket numbers. he asked if a lot of people buy that much and i said no, and he was like "well i was just fired and this is my last 200 dollars so i have to do it" and i felt very bad for him. i know what its like to have no money (i work in a gas station, after all) but there's so much more he could have done to stretch that 200 out. no one won the jackpot, and he could have won a few dollars here or there, but i seriously doubt he won back even his 200 worth.

and of course there is the general public who buys scratch tickets and you can tell its an addiction and i feel bad and wish i could say stop! that's enough! but it's not my place to do so, of course, but i really just feel bad about it sometimes. i guess its the same feeling i get from selling beer to people i know are alcoholics. i can't do much about it, but i still feel bad.

please dont feel as though you are "stealing" the advice we offer for this. most of us here know it's not so simple and it really is a matter of being determined to stop, but i just hope you can get to that point before youve lost too much money. money is such an issue for everyone now, and i can relate to how you feel, but there are options. talk to your bill collectors to reduce rates and balances, try to find things to cut out of your budget (lottery is the best way to start, obviously) and try to avoid buying unneccessary things. i hate feeling trapped to my debt, and i wish i could do more with the little money i do have, but just try to get through this difficult time that the whole world is facing the best you can. your life is worth it.

8. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread but I buy lotto tickets and scratchers tickets- only thing keeping me alive.

9. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

The odds of winning are about 200 million to one.

That being said, it's not a complete scam. I personally know people who have won... the big jackpot, not just the piddly little prizes. It's not a scam...

However, I must emphasize... the odds of winning are about 200 million to one. Just because you don't win, doesn't mean it's a scam... it just means that you and 199 million other people just threw your money away so that a couple people could get rich.

10. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I do the lotto every now and again just to see if my luck's in....it never is!

11. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Had a big lottery pot at stake recently. I spent money on a ticket...And that's one less dinner I will have...So far, I haven't won. The daydreaming prior to the draw is nice, though. *laughs*

12. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I don't do the lottery, but if I did and won, I would withdraw the millions from the bank all in pound coins. I would then spend every day counting them in my 'counting room' by candle light and become a toal recluse with the only goal of actually counting all my money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.