The make-up thread!!

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yeah that's the one I like. I can't justify it because I usually only wear taupe eyeshadow
I love it, but the trouble is I'm not very good at applying it. I see pictures of women with gorgeous eye make up and I can never get it to look anything like it. I also vary rarely have enough time, so I don't use it that often :(

lil_panic

The first two years of my degree were in biology and I have done a fair amount of research into make up ingredients. Most makeup is not bad for the skin, and some is actually beneficial. The ingredients that are not so great, like parabens and fragrance, are often in a lot of other products as well, including suntan lotion, body washes, body lotions etc. I've broken out from a face cream but never from makeup, not ever, and I've tried dozens of foundations over the years. But if you're worried use more natural/ mineral makeup which is not really that expensive considering how much you get in the container. Alima Pure is great (I used it for years) but there are tons of little local mineral makeup companies that are less expensive.
I just dont trust many of the big industries, knowing how this world works. Oh, and also, maybe a lot of make up is bad for me because of my skin, its a bit problematic, so it refuses, almost all foundations and some powders. I have been thinking to try the mineral ones. Tnx!

I actually don't wear makeup, and if I do, it's on verrrry rare occasions. I have eczema and so wearing anything with harsh chemicals or scented products makes me break out all over. However, I do like Rihanna's makeup brand Fenty because of how inclusive they are of all skin tones with their foundations and whatnot. I bought my friend a highlight palette from her brand and it sooooo pigmented. I admire makeup and the way it looks.

Last edited:

BlueGreen

I hope you're right. I've observed that many women who don't wear makeup also don't have the appearance issues that prompt most women to wear it - scars, pigment issues, redness/red patches, missing/scant eyebrows/eyelashes and so on. Personally I'm a bit sick of women who are self-righteous about not wearing it.

Let's face it: the world judges by appearance. Women especially. I'm going to look the best I can, and I may as well have fun doing it.
I agree, we are judged on appearances and I do feel the difference if I'm not wearing make-up. It's like my mask or barrier to the world. When I was younger my dad sometimes used to ask if I was feeling ok because I looked very pale and then I twigged that he always asked when I had no make-up on! :oops: I like the natural look even so, I used to walk to work with my mum and every morning I'd ask her if I had too much on and she'd always say 'I can't see it'! Mind you she was wearing glasses and I used to tell her if her foundation was a bit blotchy! I didn't even need mascara in those days. Oh to have lovely plump skin again!

petrapige

Awesome replies girlies :)

Can anyone recommend a foundation that won't break the bank? The last foundation I bought was very liquid-y. (cannot remember the brand)

I do like Rimmel's foundation, so that is what I would go for but if you girls have any suggestions that would be great. Preferably a make up that stays on for more than a couple of hours, good coverage and lasts a while.

I see no one mentioned highlighters (the shimmer on your cheekbones) .. that stuff is unreal, that is my favourite item in a make up bag. Love it :)
For a while I really liked Maybelline fit me foundation, because the texture was very pleasant, or I liked the rimmel wake me up, but that has a tiny bit of glitter in it so it's not for everyone. I still use the wake me up concealer and have done so for the last 3 years

I agree, we are judged on appearances and I do feel the difference if I'm not wearing make-up. It's like my mask or barrier to the world. When I was younger my dad sometimes used to ask if I was feeling ok because I looked very pale and then I twigged that he always asked when I had no make-up on! :oops: I like the natural look even so, I used to walk to work with my mum and every morning I'd ask her if I had too much on and she'd always say 'I can't see it'! Mind you she was wearing glasses and I used to tell her if her foundation was a bit blotchy! I didn't even need mascara in those days. Oh to have lovely plump skin again!
Yeah, I hear you. It totally is like a kind of armour against the world. That's one reason I like it, actually.

sanddoom

I hope you're right. I've observed that many women who don't wear makeup also don't have the appearance issues that prompt most women to wear it - scars, pigment issues, redness/red patches, missing/scant eyebrows/eyelashes and so on. Personally I'm a bit sick of women who are self-righteous about not wearing it.

Let's face it: the world judges by appearance. Women especially. I'm going to look the best I can, and I may as well have fun doing it.
My guess was absured angel was just doing a little self deprecating humor when she said lipstick on a pig, and ended with a joking goofy emoji.
I also know what she means by precious time wasted on makeup. I use to love doing my own and other's makeup. I even loved the sound the cosmetic cases made. I loved getting my haircut and cutting others hair. I loved it. I couldn't believe I was paid to do it. Now, I do none of that and I can barely be bothered to do my laundry or shower, I'm forcing myself. I certainly don't feel that other women are wasting their time applying their own makeup. I often admire other women's lipsticks or haircuts. I'm just at a point now that it's not in my energy bank. My passion and motivation is few and far between now.

sanddoom

Wow. I think I've owned only one palette in my life, and I wear makeup most days. But I think it's addictive and a lot of people are collectors. I have a friend who owns hundreds of dollars' worth of high-end makeup she never uses. I don't really get it. Honestly the most expensive item I've ever owned was the Shade + Light palette, and it was a gift (yes, from the same friend). Probably 70% of the makeup I've ever bought was from the drugstore, 20% from mineral makeup companies and 10% high end.

If I had the money to collect, I would buy:
The original Chocolate Bar Palette from Too Faced
The Modern Renaissance Palette from Anastasia
The Shade + Light eyeshadow Palette (I have the highlight and contour face one) from Kat Von D
Mineral baked sculpting Palette from Il Makiage
I have a mix of palettes I bought and some I custom made myself with Z palettes and such. I also have/had plenty of non palette items too.

Oh good grief, yes it is easily addictive. I don't miss that part. Macy's just had some really great sets on sale for drugstore prices and less, and I had to remind myself it was a ridiculous idea to buy anything. I gave away so much to a friends daughter who and I felt this strange since of happiness for the items being appreciated again.

There are lots of great items to be had from the drugstore. Off the top of my head, somethings from NYX and Milani use to have some great options at one point.
I'm not familiar with the palettes you've listed but I've loved some of Anastasia's items in the past. I have a chocolate palette and one other neutral palette from Bobbie Brown (from 10 yrs ago easy) so I never looked at more for fear of redundancy.

Last edited:
I love the look of subtle eyeliner on my lower lashline but it ALWAYS runs/smudges on me. The upper lash line isn't too bad but the lower is just ridiculous. I have tried liquid, gel, pencil, waterproof, etc, etc. It seriously smudges within 1 hour even if I use eyelid primer, set with shadow, etc, etc.

SO last week I ordered Blinc eyeliner which literally dries into a polymer (like their tubing mascara). It can only be removed with warm water and pressure. Will let you know how this goes. I've enjoyed tubing mascaras so I'm hoping the eyeliner works.

I would wear make up if it didn't make me feel like I was wearing makeup. Does that make sense? I wore lip gloss the other day (New Years Eve) and I just feel weird. I don't know how to use make up anymore--I did in my early 20s, and a little later than that, but now that I'm in my early 60s, I don't know what I want other than for the aging process to reverse itself naturally.
/grumpyoldladyrant

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
I’m way older than many of you replying here. I don’t wear a lot of make up - it just ends up in the creases of the wrinkles and looks blah. *help

For just dashing out in public I always use a touch of concealer; for times that I need to look a tad better, I add a bit of eyeshadow and mascara, plus lipstick. Very rarely, I might add some blush to my cheeks if I’m going out for the evening.

I love perfume. It might be my favourite cosmetic after concealer. *bleh *dunno

I would wear make up if it didn't make me feel like I was wearing makeup. Does that make sense? I wore lip gloss the other day (New Years Eve) and I just feel weird. I don't know how to use make up anymore--I did in my early 20s, and a little later than that, but now that I'm in my early 60s, I don't know what I want other than for the aging process to reverse itself naturally.
/grumpyoldladyrant
Actually I've always had issues with lip products and it's the one kind of makeup I don't usually wear. You might try Burt's Bees tinted lip balms as they are more natural in terms of the ingredients. If you wear sunscreen, you might try a tinted one (or a self-tanner) if you like a bit of colour. The skin loses colour as it ages, so I've always found a self-tanner makes me look younger. I should really find a good face one. I was using Clarins drops which you add to any moisturizer. I might even still have them around but I'm not sure how long they're good for. Hmmm.... Note to self: find a good self-tanner for the face for pale skin. Any recs anyone?

I’m way older than many of you replying here. I don’t wear a lot of make up - it just ends up in the creases of the wrinkles and looks blah. *help

For just dashing out in public I always use a touch of concealer; for times that I need to look a tad better, I add a bit of eyeshadow and mascara, plus lipstick. Very rarely, I might add some blush to my cheeks if I’m going out for the evening.

I love perfume. It might be my favourite cosmetic after concealer. *bleh*dunno
I love perfume but I can't wear most of it due to the chemical/synthetic fragrance. I'm thinking of getting into essential oils. I have a friend who's allergic to fragrance. I can do a few Bath and Body Works type fragrances but I buy them and just don't use them.

Actually I've always had issues with lip products and it's the one kind of makeup I don't usually wear. You might try Burt's Bees tinted lip balms as they are more natural in terms of the ingredients. If you wear sunscreen, you might try a tinted one (or a self-tanner) if you like a bit of colour. The skin loses colour as it ages, so I've always found a self-tanner makes me look younger. I should really find a good face one. I was using Clarins drops which you add to any moisturizer. I might even still have them around but I'm not sure how long they're good for. Hmmm.... Note to self: find a good self-tanner for the face for pale skin. Any recs anyone?
Thanks! I've got short upper lips and long teeth (so I've been told) and I'm self-conscious about showing my upper gums. So often, when I've worn lipstick, it gets stuck on my upper teeth. I think I will try a Burt's Bees one. I can handle lip balm much more easily.
And by now I have spots and stuff all over my face, which is sallow to begin with. Not so many wrinkles, but could use a concealer for my under eyes :)

When I was younger I tried to use make-up subtly to correct my features ( larger eyes, smaller nose, bigger lips, uneven skin, etc). I didn't dare to use bold make-up either. Sort of just wanted to look 'prettier'. Then as my mental state deteriorated and I went through phases of 'fuck you' to the world, I started to experiment more with bold colour. I went through a phase of very dark make-up even though I was told it would make my eyes look smaller, then a phase of blue eye-shadow :oops:, red eye-shadow, cat eyes and nothing but blush. Now I hate it when I try to look 'pretty'. I like to try different looks just see how I'd look when I have the energy. Sometimes having a different look to try on is the thing that helps me to get out of bed and get out of the house.
Recently though stress, bad diet, etc got the better of me and my skin has been terrible, so I switched to better quality make-up and better skincare.
P/S: Is anyone using A313 Pommade or any Retinol products here?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00