The man in the arena

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by break these chains, Sep 28, 2010.

1. I'm not one for these cheery quotes "every cloud ... theres always someone worse off ... ect" since they dont allways ring true and are not usually relevant.
    But there is one thing that I find inspiring. This is a speech by Theodore Roosevelt. To me it sums up the struggle of life that everyone must face and the truth is there is no greater achievement than surviving all that life throws at you. And this is always relevant.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Thanks it is a great speech indeed