The meaning of life

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Soldier83, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soldier83

Soldier83 Well-Known Member

When I get to the gates of St. Peter and if he asks me what I think the meaning of life was, I think I know what I'll say. "To suffer, that is the meaning of life. Because without suffering, pain, and sorrow how do we know that we even lived at all? If you are happy and content your whole life you will not reach forward into the void to see what your true potential is. I've seen people who have fallen into a sea of complacency, true they are at peace, but only until life slaps them in the face." Though I know this is a little morbid, it truly is what I believe to be.

2. MaskdeMasque

MaskdeMasque New Member

I don't think life has a meaning tbh. But i agree that you can't have the good without the bad.

3. goodbye pork pie hat

goodbye pork pie hat Active Member

You say only through some amount of suffering can we realize our potential, and I guess I agree. But doesn't that mean that OUT of that suffering comes our potential for usefulness and happiness? Isn't THAT the meaning of life, then, not the suffering itself?

Also, yeah, life inevitably slaps you in the face. But better to be happy other than those times, than not happy at all, right? I assume since you're here that it's hard for you to be happy--me too. But still, that's something to aspire to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.