The meaning of your name

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Sa Palomera, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

http://www.behindthename.com

ESTER

Usage: Scandinavian, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Finnish

Cognate of ESTHER:

ESTHER
    Usage: English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Jewish, Biblical
    Other Scripts: אֶסְתֵר (Hebrew)
    Pronounced: ES-tər (English, Dutch), es-TER (French)

Possibly means "star" in Persian. Alternatively it could be a derivative of the name of the Near Eastern goddess ISHTAR. The Book of Esther in the Old Testament tells the story of Queen Esther, the Jewish wife of the king of Persia who saved the Jews of the realm from extermination. Her original Hebrew name was Hadassah.

This name has been used in the English-speaking world since the Protestant Reformation. In America it received a boost in popularity after the birth of Esther Cleveland (1893-1980), the daughter of president Grover Cleveland.

(Funny cos when I first got the nickname "Ishtar" on forums, I didn't know it was somehow connected with my real name lol)

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

COURTNEY

Usage: English

Pronounced: KORT-nee [key]
    From an aristocratic English surname which was derived either from the French place name Courtenay (originally a derivative of the personal name Curtenus, itself derived from Latin curtus "short") or else from a Norman nickname meaning "short nose". As a feminine name in America, it first became popular during the 1970s.

3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

SARAH
    Usage: English, French, German, Jewish, Arabic, Biblical
    Other Scripts: ?????? (Hebrew), ???? (Arabic)
    Pronounced: SER-? (English), SAR-? (English), ZAH-rah (German) [key]

Means "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally ?????? (Saray), but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15). In England, Sarah came into use after the Protestant Reformation.

4. UpForAbbey

UpForAbbey Guest

ABBEY

Pronounced: AB-ee

Diminutive of ABIGAIL

ABIGAIL

Usage: English, German, Biblical

Pronounced: AB-i-gayl (English), AH-bee-giel (German) [key]
    From the Hebrew name אֲבִיגָיִל ('Avigayil) meaning "my father is joy". In the Old Testament this was the name of Nabal's wife. After Nabal's death she became the third wife of King David.

As an English name, Abigail first became common after the Protestant Reformation, and it was popular among the Puritans. Some time after the release of the play 'The Scornful Lady' (1616), which featured a character named Abigail, the name became a slang term for a servant, and it grew less common. It was revived in the 20th century.

I really like the German pronunciation of Abigail, but my real name is actually Abbey, not Abigail.

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

THERESA

Usage: English, German, Scandinavian

Pronounced: tə-REE-sə (English), tə-RAY-zə (English), te-RE-zah (German) [key]

From the Spanish and Portuguese name Teresa. It was first recorded as Therasia, being borne by the Spanish wife of Saint Paulinus of Nola in the 4th century. The meaning is uncertain, but it could be derived from Greek θερος (theros) "summer", from Greek θεριζω (therizo) "to harvest", or from the name of the Greek island of Therasia (the western island of Santorini).
    The name was mainly confined to Spain and Portugal during the Middle Ages. After the 16th century it was spread to other parts of the Christian world, due to the fame of the Spanish nun and reformer Saint Teresa of Ávila. Another famous bearer was the Austrian Habsburg queen Maria Theresa (1717-1780), who inherited the domains of her father, the Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI, beginning the War of the Austrian Succession.

6. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

SARA

Usage: Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Scandinavian, German, Dutch, Slovene, Polish, English, Arabic

Other Scripts: Σαρα (Greek), سارة (Arabic)

Pronounced: SAH-rah (Spanish, Dutch, Polish), ZAH-rah (German), SER-ə (English), SAR-ə (English

7. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

MELISSA

Usage: English, Greek Mythology, Ancient Greek

Other Scripts: Μελισσα (Ancient Greek)

Pronounced: mə-LIS-ə (English) [key]
    Means "bee" in Greek. This was the name of a nymph that cared for young Zeus in Greek mythology. It is also the name of the fairy who helps Rogero escape from the witch Alcina in Ludovico Ariosto's poem 'Orlando Furioso' (1516). As an English given name, Melissa has been used since the 18th century.

I can live with that :biggrin:

8. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

JOHN

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAHN (English) [key]
    English form of Iohannes, the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered saints. The first was John the Baptist, a Jewish ascetic who was considered the forerunner of Jesus Christ. The second was the apostle John, who was also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation.

This name was initially more common among Eastern Christians in the Byzantine Empire, but it flourished in Western Europe after the First Crusade. In England it became extremely popular: during the later Middle Ages it was given to approximately a fifth of all English boys.

9. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

AARON Gender: Masculine
    Usage: English,
    Pronounced: AR-ən (English), ER-ən (English) [key]
    From the Hebrew name אַהֲרֹן ('Aharon) which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament this name was borne by the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites. He acted as a spokesman for his brother, and carried a miraculous rod. As an English name, Aaron has been in use since the Protestant Reformation.

Hmm miraculous rod.......I think I got a new pick up line :biggrin:

10. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

RACHEL

Usage: English, Jewish, French, German, Biblical

Other Scripts: רָחֵל (Hebrew)

Pronounced: RAY-chəl (English), ra-SHEL (French) [key]

Means "ewe" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this was the name of the favourite wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin. The name was common among Jews in the Middle Ages, but it was not generally used as a Christian name in the English-speaking world until after the Protestant Reformation.

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

SARAH

Usage: English, French, German, Jewish, Arabic, Biblical

Other Scripts: שָׂרָה (Hebrew), سارة (Arabic)

Pronounced: SER-ə (English), SAR-ə (English), ZAH-rah (German) [key]

Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally שָׂרָי (Saray), but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15). In England, Sarah came into use after the Protestant Reformation.

sary, i was called that a lot at one time...

12. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

Elizabeth means consecrated one.

13. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

JESSICA

Pronounced: JES-i-kə

This name was first used in this form by Shakespeare in his play 'The Merchant of Venice' (1596), where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH which would have been spelled Jesca in his time. It was not commonly used as a given name until the middle of the 20th century.

14. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

15. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I looked my name up in the dictionary once and it said some sort of jacket. We had this thing on our wall about the history of our last name. It was something to do with someone who brews beer or something. I also read somewhere that it meant a bushel of hay. Hah.
    Anyway,

SPENCER

Pronounced: SPEN-sər [key]

From a surname which meant "dispenser of provisions" in Middle English. A famous bearer was American actor Spencer Tracy (1900-1967). It was also the surname of Princess Diana (1961-1997).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.