The mid term elections?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Kaos General, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Ok im from the UK and we have been hearing all about these mid terms on the news over here for the past 4 weeks.

What the hell are these all about? US politics confuses me, someone please explain what it means. Im sure a load of people from the UK are a bit confused as well.

2. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

It's when all 435 seats in the House of Representatives are up for election/reelection. As well as either 33 or 34 of the 100 seats in the Senate.

Basically, the big deal about it is which political party is going to have of control of Congress. Democrats had it for the past 2 years, but so far, it's gone to the Republicans.

3. Kaos General

Thats the thing what is that? im assuming its the same thing as the house of commons over here?

4. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

OK, it's a good thing we just went over all this in class this week, so I remember it all. (And by all, I mean most of it. I might get a couple details wrong, I apologize in advance!) :laugh:

So, in our country's government, we have three branches. The Executive, Judicial, and Legislative.

The Legislative Branch is our Congress. Congress has two different houses. The Senate, and House of Representatives. In the HP, there is are 435 members, and the number changes depending on the population. (For example, there are more representatives from California, then from Alaska.) It's all a matter of how many people. While in the Senate, each state has two members from each state, no matter what. They write and pass bills, budgets, and stuff like that.

The Executive branch is like the President and his cabinet. They basically enforce the laws. They make sure the budget that Congress came up with is followed, as well as all the laws. All the government agencies and stuff like that are included in the Executive branch.

The Judicial branch is like the Supreme Court, and the Supreme court justices. They interpret the laws, and make sure they're Constituitional. If they don't follow the Constituition, the law is out!

The reason our government is the way it is, it's to make sure that one branch of the government doesn't overpower the others. They keep each other in check, pretty much.

A simplified version my teacher told me:
    Legislative-Makes laws.
    Executive-Enforces laws.
    Judicial-Interprets laws.

Does that make more sense? Or did I completely confuzzle you more?

5. Kaos General

Yeah basically thats what we have here

6. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

repubs have house!!! YAY!

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Comparing the UK parliament to the US government

The main difference between the parliamentary system and the US system is that parliaments can have a minority government - Currently in Canada the PC party is in power as they got more votes than other parties, but they do not hold more than half the seats in the Commons so the governing party is in the minority. Minority governments are pretty common, and it ensures the governing party can't do anything blatantly self-serving to their party as all other parties will throw it out. It is my reason for considering the politics of the UK or Canada superior to the US system.

8. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

As long as Obama is president it doesn't matter;the goverment is crap in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.