The military

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by johnnysays, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

If you're going to kill yourself, why not join the army or something and go over to afghanistan and contribute in some way while taking chances with your life. If you get lucky, you'll come home alive with some money. if you're not so lucky, you can always kill yourself. Whether or not you think the war is right, it will immediately gain you respect from all people, regardless of their opinions. Especially from guys (they run the world; $$$$). They respect a solid pair of balls. Doesn't matter what you believe, they respect it.

You could use it as an opportunity to preach your own gospel. If you don't have friends now, you'll have friends by the time you get shipped over to the war zone. Lots of people to get to know. And you get to see other countries.

I'm not a military man. I've just been thinking about this lately. I'm not seriously consider going over there, but if I had a death wish, and I could forget everything I think about this war (it's fu**** up), I'd ship myself over there and maybe I'd get lucky, eh?

Better than sucking eggs like I normally do. And comradery/fellowship, that's a great thing for a guy who can't make friends on his own.

A lot of the guys in the military are getting overworked going in and out of action so often. Either we quit this stupid war with faceless countless hard to get terrorists, or more of us are going to have to go over there as a gesture of goodwill to our fellow man.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Some don't believe in taking the lives of others, as well as that wouldn't work for women.

Not to mention a soldier reckless with his own life will likely cause problems for the whole unit.
  3. will_1957

will_1957 Well-Known Member

That's probably not an option for a lot of people dealing with suicidal ideation. I know that if there is any reason for the military to believe that you have serious and persistent mental health issues then you simply won't make it in.

I know that even if I weren't suicidal I would have wanted to join the military, but I know that's not possible. If you have been hospitalized then that is a huge red flag for any recruiter and a background check will ensure that you won't make it in. They also look at your medical files and if there are any records of certain mental illnesses then you're not going to get in either.

You also cannot be on any medications for mental illness for a few months before you enlist and I'm sure that's simply not possible for a lot of people.

If you do get a recruiter that is hellbent on recruiting you they may be able to overlook certain things in your records but you're taking a huge risk there. If you try to hide anything in your records and the military finds out you can get in big trouble for perjury.

So it's really not as easy for individuals with mental illness to get into the military (or so I've heard).
  4. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I have to believe that if I joined up, I'd make it only as far as whenever it is that they first hand you a loaded weapon, and then...

...well, I'm sure you can imagine.

So yeah, probably not in the cards for me.
  5. Jacob1973

Jacob1973 Well-Known Member

You are more likely to get a kid next to you killed, trying to protect your rear end, then you would be at going out in a "blaze of glory".
  6. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Like will said, you probably won't get in and for good reason. Being in the military is tough enough and as I understand it 1 out of 5 people in the army will eventually develop PTSD (could be higher, I don't know). Imagine what your chances will be when you already have mental issues to deal with. I think it's basically killing off any chance you have at recovery, not to mention the numerous lives you'll put in danger..

Don't think that is such a good idea..
  7. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Movie link:

Some militaries would execute people who ran from duty - cowards/etc. Shell shock is a condition some soldiers during during/after duty relating to the stress and explosions. The military used to think it was a psychiatric illness.

Shell shock:

Not everyone who has had suicidal thoughts is on psychotropic drugs and they don't all have a history of mental illness. My thought was/is that perhaps they just need a change of environment. If the stress of life is getting to you, you always have the military to lean on as an opportunity. Some guys regret joining the fight, but it might be the only place to go for some young people who're directionless without it (drugs, suicide, etc). It teaches you how tough life can be and how to hold together when it does. It's also a lot more like school because everyone is tight and friends are easier to make. It's like a natural transition away from youth, but it's not for everyone.

Another place to go, if you're young and without direction, but can't stomach combat, is the peace corps:

I think that being directionless can lead to young people getting overly burdened and losing it later in life (and getting over medicated). Point is, when not much is happening in your life, and you don't know how to resolve it, you start to compare your accomplishments to the accomplishments of others. If you don't respond constructively to the shame you feel, it'll destroy you from the inside out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  8. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

I agree that a change of environment can be a good thing from time to time. But by a change of scenery I mean another town, another job, some new friends perhaps. Not joining the army on a whim, hoping to either be killed or using it as some kind of bizarre therapeutic tool.. Even life in the peace corps is tough I'd imagine with all the famine and heartbreaking things you experience while working, all of which I don't think is healthy for an already sick mind. I think to join either, you need to be in a relatively good place mentally. You don't need to be all sunshine and roses, but to join while your suicidal is extremely irresponsible as your not only endangering your life, but others' as well.

I don't think suicidal people need a lesson in how tough life can be to be honest.

In my opinion the only way to respond constructively is to tackle the problems you face head on, however hard that may be. Everything else are just tools to make it easier. If you don't work on your problems, a change of scenery isn't going to do you any good either. That's the problem with these things, wherever you may go your depression/problems are going to follow you. You can't get away from your brain after all, so the only solution is to work through the problems that you have.
  9. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I've strongly considered the armed forces lots of times, and I'm a girl, but not because of suicidal ideation or anything like that, or to play a game with my life, because that's dumb as I'd be playing with peoples lives as well. It was my genuine career choice, but my fantasy started when I started getting badly bullied. I always was attracted to the idea of camraderie with other people and becoming a stronger person. I was only 13, but my plan was to leave school at 16 and join the Army with just my GCSE's. Of course that never turned out to be the case, as I gained lots of weight, became depressed and started cutting and ended up thinking more about going to university instead.

I don't think I'd get in now, though. I was a psychiatric ward inpatient for 3 days (voluntarily mind you) and have numerous self-harm scars, but I'm considering giving it a shot next year when I'm a bit fitter, hopefully mentally fitter as well. I've been told they look at all cases very individually, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm just still attracted to the regimental life-style, cameraderie, etc. I'm not gonna lie I'm not some sort of "die 4 mi country" patriotic type of person, because I don't really believe in countries much. I don't have some sort of overwhelming support for the war either. It's just the lifestyle attracts me, and the stability. Sure it's a hard life with hard discipline, but it beats how I am now.
  10. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

And let's not forget that you will learn how to use all sorts of military weapons like tanks, machine guns and helicopters. :D
  11. S_P_Y_K_E

S_P_Y_K_E New Member

Hi, am new here and Ive just came across this post. Funnily enough, I've just came from the Army office this morning because I too see it as a real career route.
    My life has been a messed up one and ive been slippin in and out of depression from as far back as I can remember and I wanted to get in the Army to try and get some stability in my life. But like everything else in my life, i never works out. I gotta wait 5 years because ve got a bit of a naughty record with the police and Ive got a tattoo on the back of my neck.

But anyways, you should seriously go for it...
  12. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Well-Known Member

Being an Atheist, I don't exactly think it would be a brilliant idea to take the only lives of people who actually have something to live for.

And what would a suicidal person do if they were handed a gun?..
  13. S_P_Y_K_E

S_P_Y_K_E New Member

But it depends on the situation. I want the army life because i wont out of this life ive got now, not to go and get my hands on a gun.
    But i do see your point, but like i said. Just depends entirely on the situation...
  14. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Young men and women join a branch of the military to help them pay for further education, for training in a career/resume enhancement, out of a feeling of duty to their country or for a full career with benefits and pension. The best years of my brother's life were when he had the structure and discipline of the U.S. Marines. Today my brother is alcoholic and virtually homeless so all of the direction and training in the military didn't address the emotional problems he had all along.

If you join a military branch and are deployed in a combat zone it would only put you at tremendous risk for a permanent physical disability and almost certainly only worsen any depressive disorder you already suffer in civilian life.

There are many civilian careers that no one would consider boring- fire fighting, law enforcement...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.