The Most Important Image Ever Taken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
This is Hubble Deep Field, and is proof, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that civilization exists beyond Earth, in my opinion. Nothing has given me more self-knowledge and wide perspective than seeing this image years ago and being able to understand why it's important.

So now, I am passing it on to you, to pass along to yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

jhhop

Thanks lostlilgirl, I love storms as well. I used take alot of storm pictures years ago. When I found this one it was a perfect fit, seemed to mirror my personality so well.

nos nomed

Not difinitive proof but it is amazing. I only hope the predator race exists and they invite me to their planet as an honorary envoy!!

Axiom

Account Closed
Is that shine on you crazy dimond? .. Man I love this stuff. I agree completely with you Prinnctopher's Belt. I love looking at the stars, kinda puts all the shit into perspective. Thanks for the video

Little_me

Sorry for being stupid but why is it important?
The picture is fascinating as you look back in time. What you see in that picture is the light that was released from the first star formations ever- in the very beginning of time as we know it- more than 13 billion years ago. That light didn't reach us, Hubble's lens, until the pic was taken. We know that the speed of light is 300,000 km/sec, then imagine the distance. Nearly 14 billion years... o_o

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
Thanks for the response Little_me, certainly something to think about.

This tells a story. And people still think we matter..
The story it tells me is that space is very big, it's full of vast areas of emptiness, most of it consists of very simple elements, there's lots of dust and ice, and we're searching in vain to find even the simplest of life forms.

Yet my cat is a very complex life form and she's in my room. Now that's something really amazing.

xan

Chat Buddy
I think the idea of there being other life forms out there is very interesting, but until we find some way to jump vast distances of space it's almost useless to worry about. And yeah there are a lot of life forms still left on this planet that we've yet to discover. Though I wonder if mankind will ever look back at us now and laugh at us for being naieve or simple minded like people think of those who said the world was flat and at the centre of the universe...

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
What I think amazing about this picture is:
1) We can build a telescope to take the picture in the first place
2) We know things like the speed of light, the age of stars etc.
3) The fact that I can view the picture on the internet using a computer
4) That as well as being pretty a picture can mean different things to different people.

The fact that space is big doesn't impress me as much as the above, which is why we matter.

Though I wonder if mankind will ever look back at us now and laugh at us for being naieve or simple minded like people think of those who said the world was flat and at the centre of the universe...
As I've mentioned above I think technological progress has been amazing. The points you mention, as well as being scientific, were more philosophical and religious at the time. And when you ask those sorts of questions about life, its meaning, the way it should be lived, who's in charge etc. I don't think we've really made much progress in the last 2000 years. I find that kind of humbling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krem

Thanks for the response Little_me, certainly something to think about.

The story it tells me is that space is very big, it's full of vast areas of emptiness, most of it consists of very simple elements, there's lots of dust and ice, and we're searching in vain to find even the simplest of life forms.

Yet my cat is a very complex life form and she's in my room. Now that's something really amazing.
The point was that we are tiny.

And, no, your cat is not amazing. Aside from the fact that "life" is only defined by having a biological process, your cat is made of, just like you, atoms. With the right tools, and amount of energy, your cat could be made into, say, a copper statue. A few neutrons here, a few protons there, and some electrons for good measure, and every atom in your cat can be made into a copper atom.

However, if that makes someone feel bad, you should remember that we were made in suns, over millions of years.

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
And, no, your cat is not amazing
If they discovered cat-like creatures on the moon I'm sure most people would be very excited about it. And as you point out, copper statues are amazing too - to think that they're made up of bits of exploding stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krem

If they discovered cat-like creatures on the moon I'm sure most people would be very excited about it. And as you point out, copper statues are amazing too - to think that they're made up of bits of exploding stars.
Because nobody would expect a cat-like creature there. That's why it'd be amazing.

And, no, never said exploding stars. Just stars. Sure, they kinda need to explode for the materials to have a chance to form things, but the materials were made while the sun was 'alive'.

I don't find you bitter enough. :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00