The Mouse

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by aoeu, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Many of you have been following this: there is a mouse in my house, whom I discovered two days ago. My cat, Fred, had been trying to catch him for some time before that.

I'm moving out in a month so the mouse can't stay the winter, quietly hiding among my possessions, and I don't want it to die, so I can't trap it. Instead, I have built it a house out of a gatorade bottle and a cardboard tube, stuffed with sunflower seeds and shredded paper, to be mostly buried underground once I catch him so he can comfortably live the winter. The plan is that Fred will snatch him up and I'll resnatch him before Fred finishes him off, and then I'll keep him in a cardboard box until there's good weather (in case the mouse doesn't take to the house I made, he'll have a chance to build a new one and then store the sunflower seeds in without freezing.)

Fred appears to be the weak part of the plan. Last night the mouse entered my room and Fred leapt off the bed and ran as fast as he could towards the mouse, who slipped away under the door. In case you don't know, that's NOT how cats catch mice: they do it by stealth and ambush. My cat is embarrassingly incompetent.

I'm trying to figure out where the mouse lives now, I've set some food in the kitchen to see if that's eaten. Once I find him I may be able to flush him out for Fred to catch.

I'll post updates here, and once I catch him I'll upload the full set of pictures of the operation.
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Awww, I hope you catch him. And that if Fred snatches him, you're able to resnatch him in time!
  3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Oh my!

I'm calling the mouse..... Edgar.

4. WildCherry

Awwwwwww!! Edgar the mouse. That's cuuuute!
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

omai... someone is going to end up publishing a book based on Edgar's Chronicles. He will be the next Fievel.
    Make Don Bluth proud, little mouse! :bubble:
  6. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I like little mice i think they are sweet, glad to hear your not trying to kill it. They like bird seeds and crakers ;-)
    Bless you cat it tries its best.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Very well, he will be called Edgar.

And I do love my kitty despite his incompetence. It's not his fault, cats just aren't raised like they used to be.

I'm worried about the amount of insulation I can offer the little guy... I can't really offer him anything more than a loose covering of soil :\ (I'm pretty sure that loose packed soil will be more insulative than dense soil). But, how deep are mouse burrows in the wild? I'm not sure :(

Oh. And I killed a worm digging him his hole. If he doesn't survive two animals will have died on account of me! :( If Edgar does make it, well, it was just a worm.
  8. WildCherry

Yay he has a name!! :) There could be a cartoon, something along the lines of the Adventures of Edgar!
  9. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Edgar sounds very smart i don't think i could sleep at night knowing little Edgar was about in my house
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hmm, all of the sunflower seeds I left for him in the kitchen are still there. I'm not sure if he just didn't know they were food (since they're not common here, and the food part is hidden) or he doesn't live in the kitchen. I'll try it tonight with a carrot.

Anyhow, I can sleep safe and secure knowing that if he enters he'll be chased out by an enthusiastic-if-ineffective Fred.
  11. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Cats are useless. Get a boa or some snake... it'll catch your mousy.
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It'll EAT Edgar. Cats are critical to this on account of their cruelty in playing with their would-be food.
  13. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I'm betting $50 on Edgar.
  14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't bet, but we'll catch him. Fred managed to grab the last one, who I just deposited out the window (that was quite a while ago but I think it was still too late for him to gather enough food for the winter :( )
  15. WildCherry

Noooo snakes, Edgar wouldn't stand a chance!!
  16. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

i first read moose not mouse and i was wondering how hard it would be for a cat to catch a moose, then i thought how big of a house you have to make for a moose and then i thought how could a moose fit under a door then i cleaned my glasses.... but I would be afraid for edgar as he might have his neck snapped before u have a chance to save him as your kitty could easily bite down to hard.... so run edgar run!!!!!
  17. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

If you want to lure a mouse in use peanut butter, I put it in my live traps works pretty good,got a little mouse the other day.
  18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've had a dish of peanut butter set up in my room and one in the kitchen, I actually know that trick. No luck at either getting him in my cat's sight or attracting him to food.
  19. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

yeah... I'm not sure what city mice eat if they're locked outside for the winter, since they're so accustomed to finding bits of food on the ground everywhere they go in the warmer months.

The mice at my old apartment seemed to like english muffin bits and dried pasta.
    Could try that rather than sunflower seeds if Edgar doesn't realize that the seeds are for eating?
    Then again... if he doesn't like pasta- english muffin bits wouldnt be able to last him the whole winter.
  20. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I put out a carrot this time, but it wouldn't hurt to add some crumbs too.

Oh, no bread or anything. I put some rolled oats on the plate.

I also realised that if I can get him to go for anything I can make a trap using a bucket and a dish towel (set up so the towel is a ramp and then he drops in and can't get out.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.