The movie 'Thirteen' - opinions?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by happyville, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyville

happyville Well-Known Member

There are mixed thoughts on this particular film - it either means nothing to you, or means a lot. Some people find it unrealistic - 'thirteen year olds would never do that', 'that only happens if you live in the city', 'i nor none of my friends were ever like that' - while others relate to it on an intimate level. Maybe you were older than thirteen at the time, maybe you know people who were that young and did such things - either way, everyone's opinions are mixed. It may or may not be a good movie to you, but that isn't the point of what I'm asking.

What I'm asking is - how strongly did you relate to the film? Did you find it believable based solely on personal experience, or the experience of others? When you were young and watched the film, did you have your parents watch it because you wanted them to know your side of the story, or did you have them avoid the film because it hit too close to home and you didn't want them to know about the things you did behind the scenes? Be it self-harming via cutting, drug use, excessive partying or sleeping around.

Or did you find it completely unrealistic or over dramatic?

And one more thing - did the movie help spread more awareness on what teenagers go through or did it only serve to make parents over-cautious, worrying, and smothering?
  2. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

strongly, maybe certain things (like cutting) happened later, but either way, teenage years still. and i find it very believable, since i saw the drug and alcohol use at 13. and time even my dad showed me this film. :D ironic, really.

anyway, the movie is great, realistic, even if some scenes may look dramatic, doesnt mean it's not happening out there...out here. so i loved the movie. :)

did you?
  3. happyville

I did, yes! Very much as a teenager - although it had the negative side effect of giving me ideas (I didn't even know about huffing computer duster until the movie, and then stupidly, I tried it) - but it really meant a lot to me because I felt the girl's frustration. At the same time, I thought she was treating her mother horribly and selfishly, but a lot of us do at that age - we're hurting and we're angry and we don't know how to let them know and help us. I have a going-on-fourteen niece who is like the embodiment of the main character in this film, and I don't want the film to give her ideas, but I really want her to watch it because she'd relate so much to it - I think it would help her in the long run.

I think it's realistic because, while I wasn't a drug abuser, had moral ethics such as waiting until marriage to have sex (which I still have now, at nineteen), I felt the way the main character felt. I related strongly to her emotional angst and frustrated anger. So while I wasn't self-harming, having sex, stealing, or using drugs at thirteen, I was definitely lashing out. If I had fallen into a bad crowd (I didn't have any friends at thirteen and wasn't quite certain how to socialize yet), I definitely would have ended up doing a lot of the things that the teenagers do in this movie.
  4. Romancer

it may either prevent things from happening or it triggers them. i didn't plan on cutting either, but it could be that a piece of me wanted cause of the movie. *shrugs*
    i would recommend that you show it to her, since she probably saw some of it irl, and its good to know where these things lead.
  5. happyville

she's already a self-harmer, i know she's smoked weed (my entire family does - weed isn't a big deal to us, but it *is* a big deal when she's smoking it at thirteen, plus weed really can be a gateway drug, though it hasn't happened like that for most of us), and she's already had sex. i don't think there's much else the movie could trigger - she already steals heaps upon heaps of money right out of her mother's purse, stole her mother's car in the middle of the night to meet her boyfriend, ran away and was found in a different state three hours later having hitch-hiked (thank god something terrible didn't happen to her), etc. but i'm the only one she can confide in because i'm still young enough to remember and understand why she might be doing all of these things - so yeah, it'd probably just be a good idea to show her the movie.
  6. Romancer

huh, then yes, movie night is what you need ;) any other movies?
  7. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I kinda liked the movie. Haven't seen it in years but I would definitely watch it again. I do think it is kind of realistic. I know when I was around that age I knew some people that were the same way as it was in the movie.
  8. happyville

@romancer, i'm not sure - i don't know of any movies that are as blatantly honest as thirteen was; it didn't candy-coat anything.

@kankuro - that's cool! it really sucks to see people be so reckless but once you walk in their shoes you understand them a little more.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.