The multiverse theory is no longer a theory

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Orlando, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orlando

Orlando Member

About a week ago, scientists found evidence that the multiverse really does exists. In my opinion, this has to be the greatest news I've ever heard of, because this means that everything you can possibly think of, exists in some other universe. That meaning, all fictional characters you've seen throughout your life on TV or in a movie, are real. Also, as someone who is a strong believer in the soul/consciousness surviving physical death, these have to be the greatest news articles I have ever read, and support the idea that there is no such thing as "death". What are your opinions on this?

dailymail.co.uk (2013)

phys.org (2010)l

columbia.edu (2013)

washingtonblog.com (2010)

guardian.co.uk (2012) (String Theory evidence)

I'm not too sure about the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th website when it comes to accuracy and honesty, but I definitely trust The Guardian and The Daily Mail.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  2. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Does that mean the observers from Fringe really do exist and are going to enslave us in the not too distant future?! Eek! Where is Walter Bishop when you need him?!

Seriously though that is very cool. I'm not quite sure what it all means but I'm sure one parallel universe version of me does.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, that is not so cool. Billions of universes and we get this one! Short straw or what?!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  3. poison

poison Well-Known Member

No, sorry, it's still a theory. Theories and facts are two very distinct things. A theory is an attempt to explain something. A fact is a statement that is true of a certain state of affairs. For example, it is true that if I drop a rock, it will fall — that's a fact. The theory we use to explain this is gravity. Quite frankly, I'm unpersuaded by what you posted. I'm indifferent toward the veracity of multiverse theory, so don't take this as personal bias, but you should know how science is, especially science within lines of thought that are infantile such as this one.

How does multiverse theory support the claim that there is no such thing as permanent cessation of consciousness? IMO, it's wholly irrelevant.

4. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

"For example, it is true that if I drop a rock, it will fall — that's a fact." Not a certain fact though, you have to take into account every possibility.

5. poison

poison Well-Known Member

Under normal circumstances, it will fall every time. Now, obviously in scenarios where the rock is trying to be prevented from falling, such as there being a powerful vacuum directly above it, it will not fall. Or, say I'm dropping it near the event horizon of a black hole (it's impossible, but humor the thought experiment), then we don't really know what happens. What we do know is that under normal circumstances, it falls. How we explain that is gravity. Nitpicking my example does little to undermine my overarching point...

6. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Not nit picking just making a point in science you have to keep an open mind. Sorry if I thought the tone of your post sounded dismissive. I understand now you meant we are still in the very early stages of understanding this theory but that doesn't mean this still isn't very interesting news.

7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

This news must be heaven to multi-taskers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.