The Musician's Louge

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Ordep, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

I've been in the forums for a while now and I noticed there's a few musicians around, so I figured I'd crate a place for us to talk about our trade/hobby, share experiences, tips, knowledge and anything inbetween.

So, if you're a musician, either a pro, an amateur, a begginer or even a person interested in start to play/sing, please drop by :biggrin:

Looking foward to meet all of you. :wink:

2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

im trying to learn guitar (acoustic), and been told im a good singer... but im tone deaf. so i dont know

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have found it quite interesting that so many of us are musicians. I wonder why that is? Is there a correlation somewhere?

4. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

maybe. i did here that those intellectually and creatively gifted use different brain parts and both are prone to anger and depression, but that was a while ago, so maybe im wrong. we should do a study!

5. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Necrodude: Good to know you're trying to learn. Don't give up, it will not be easy during the first times, but as you, your hand muscles and even the skin on your fingertips gets in shape, it'll start sounding much better :wink: How long you've been learning?
    Oh and btw, about the tone deafness. Don't sweat it for now, I was also like that when I started. Once you get there, there are exercises you can do to practice your tone hearing. What's important is that you develop a partial pitch: the capability of, upon hearing a note, being able to tell how many tone it went up or down when given a second note.

gentlelady: I don't think musicians are more prone to depression. Even if creativity stimulates part of the brain that deal with that, many other activities use creativity and the people who practice those activities aren't more or less prone to suicide.
    The way I see it, I think it's the other way around. Other factors in life lead to depression and depressed persons sometimes decide to pick up an instrument. That's kinda what happened to me. Learning how to play is a slow and most of the times lonely process so the lack of a social life leaves time to practice more than the averange person, thus depressed people tend to get better at playing music and stick to it. That also explains why there are so many drug addicts in the business, most of them started doing drugs as a way to stay awake more than they usually could so they could practice.
    Another thing is that a career in the music biz is extremely stressful as you never have a fixed paycheck and most musicians earn very little, that can also lead to depression and thus suicide.
    By the way, what do you play gentlelady?

6. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I suppose I will drop by and say hi.

It sucks that I will be without my kit for 2-3 weeks.

7. Puppy

Puppy Well-Known Member

Instruments I can play a LITTLE:

Piano/keyboard
    Clarinet
    Violin

I think I'm best at playing the clarinet. But I wouldn't really call myself a musician because I haven't played any of my instruments for a while now >.<

8. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Besides playing the drums I also play various percussion instruments including;
    Xylophone,
    Vibes,
    Marimba
    Bongo's
    Congas
    Tympani

Besides percussion, I also mess around with;
    piano
    Guitar
    Bass
    violin

9. Tastelikeblood

Tastelikeblood Well-Known Member

I play guitar, but I can pretty much play anything you throw at me. Does anyone else think this is better a drunk person than someone who's in a "boogie" :boogie:?

10. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Forpetessake, that's some list! Well done you.

When I first saw this thread I thought oh I can't join in and then I remembered (lol) that I'm teaching myself to play piano, so I guess that counts. I expect those of you here who can play an instrument it must be good to just pick it up and play - it's such a therapeutic thing to be able to do. Even if I'm making a pig's ear of the piece I'm learning, it's still great to be able to sit down and actually produce something that sounds like music.

11. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Thanks Tam.

I was a percussion and Music Ed major in college. I can barely squeak by on the violin, (no pun intended). I struggle with chord changes on the guitar. But piano I have always considered a percussion instrument.

12. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

That's an interesting thought. I suppose it is really because it's hammers on strings. Well, when I play it it certainly sounds like I'm 'percussing' rather than playing, anyway.

I wonder if playing the recorder at school qualifies someone as a musician? lol.

13. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Forpetesake, what happened to your kit? You're quite the percurssionist I see, well done! Not very often one gets to see a drummer who knows his way around such a wide array of percurssion gear. Guess that's what comes with college instruction. I never pursued academic learning in music as arts schools in Portugal are few, far appart and overall more interested in classic music rather than modern. But I did spend some good years in private schools learning as much as I could so yeah, I'm well instructed also :cool:

Can't really understand why you think the piano is a percurssion intrument tough... it's so much close to the guitar/bass in sonic capabilities... care to explain?

Tam, anyone who has at least a small interest in playing music is welcomed here :) are you learning on a piano or electric keyboard? The keys are a great insturment and there'll always be something left for you to learn. There's some great songbooks for trainees out there that start with really easy songs and as you go it gets harder and harder, if you find yourself without guidance, I'd recommend picking one of those. Oh and you're totally right about playing beeing therapeutical, I've been saying that alot around here.

Hey Tastelikeblood! Well, from personal experience, being alittle touched by the booze (as in, being still able to walk traight) helps alittle since things tend to look slower around you. It also improves your stamina since alcohol masks some physical fatigue. But on the other hand, your cohordination suffers so your playing tends to get more shoddy and sluggish. I guess it really depends on the person.
    Btw, how long have you been playing?

As for me, I'm a guy who uses his fingers, guitar, bass and keys (actually, keytar, I just don't like sitting). I'm preety good at both guitar and keys and I can play along most bands, but where I really shine is in the bass. My old teacher used to say my right hand fingers have eyes on their tips as no matter how fast I played and how complex the patterns got, I'd never hit the wrong string. Currently I spend most of my playing time messing with the keys, experimenting with plugins and freaky sounds and trying to master that freaky keyboard soloing.

Recently I had some downtime from playing cause I got thendinithis (sp?) on my thumb. It's better now tough... quite a scare that was.

Still didn't see any dedicated singer around here. No sopranos, mezo-sopranos or baritones around here?

14. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I think from my perspective, I think of piano in percussion terms because of the work I did with the mallet percussion instruments, mainly the marimba. I love that instrument.
    BTW most of my percussion training came from drum and bugle corps. lol

As far at the kit goes, I have a Roland HD-1. the Hi hat trigger pedal crapped out and so that part is being sent back to Roland today and it will take 2-3 weeks to get it back.

15. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the marimba and other mallet instruments are much closer to percussion. But I can't relate my keyboarding to any sort of percussion as I'm much more interested in jazz soloing and neoclassical keyboard metal, and that stuff where you need swift fingers.

Right, I dont understand jack about drums but those V-Drums do seem to like getting their pedals screwed up. I remember how my drummer form my last band struggled with both the bass drum and the hi-hat pedals until he just replaced them alltogheter. Hope the repair isn't costy

16. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

They are under warranty still.

17. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Good for ya, that's always the best time to break stuff lol

18. Tastelikeblood

Tastelikeblood Well-Known Member

Bouts 6 years? I've got no discipline though so it's on and off practicing, I don't play every day. So basically I can't shred :/ but I would like to, I know one scale lol. Another handicap is chords, I don't know any short of guessing by randomly placing my fingers.

19. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Have u tried any dvd's for instructional purposes.

20. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think so. When I was in therapy and I was talking about music... she said it's almost like I had to do it. Like I had to get it out somehow. I mean some of the greatest musicians/poets were some of the most troubled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.