The nature of perception.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by meaningless-vessel, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

So many times I see/hear various things - that some would perceive as wrong. Socially. Legally. Morally. Intellectually. Amongst others.

But - with perceptions and perspectives being as unique as each individual person - is there actually any true right or wrong within this?

I for one, believe that there is no "wrong" perception/perspective - nor do I believe fully that anyone is stupid/lack use of brain. Some may show a lack of common sense - which is an entirely different prospect altogether.

I do understand one thing. There is a balance somewhere - between the levels of what people use their brains for. Some are more tuned in socially - and may have a lower academic intellect - but they have a higher social intellect - labelled as more sociopathic - but is that just a way of describing that they are different?

This would further be confirmed by the intellect of scientists such as Einstein - who may have been perceived to have been crazy/mad/bonkers or whatever else comes to mind at the time he was doing what he did - as it was something new/different that people may not have been ready for at that time (but now we use) - was he really socially accepted? Chances are - maybe not.

Another addition to that confirmation - is the way in which people who are more likely to be suicidal are those who are least likely to be socially accepted (not always true) - but a high contingent of people I've spoken to via this forum have had issues socially - be it lack of friends - or family lacking support - not able to get relationships that they would like etc.

I would like others to input their own perception - but be mindful that a difference of opinion on it is not necessarily wrong (although we may believe it to be from our own perspective).
  2. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

The very concept of mental illness comes from the fact that the behaviors deviate from what would be considered normal in one's society. So, it is not at all surprising that most who are suicidal would have troubles socializing. Whether this is caused by their abnormal behavior or causes their abnormal behavior is the part that is hard to figure out. I would be inclined to believe that it varies case by case. Someone with a childhood disorder that has not been diagnosed (such as, say, Asperger's) might become depressed, leading to suicidal behavior. In this case, the fact that the person could not be in an early intervention program due to lack of knowledge on their disorder would make it tough for them to live with the disorder, potentially leading to social isolation, leading to depression, leading to suicidal feelings. However, not everyone with a disorder like Asperger's becomes depressed. Those who were in early intervention programs often go on to live contented lives. So, I would not think that the behaviors associated with having Asperger's inherently cause depression or suicidal feelings on their own. However, there might be another person with major depressive disorder who cannot remember ever being happy - even when they were a child. In this case, the things might be the opposite. Regardless, lack of social support is common where mental illness is concerned. Of course, not everyone with depression, or bipolar disorder, or obsessive compulsive disorder is going to, also, have a social disorder. I'm not saying that at all! However, the stigma attached to psychological disorders alone can make it hard for us to connect to other people. We are, to put it simply, different. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

I would not agree that 'everyone' is different. I think a large part of why people choose to believe everyone is is because western nations are reared in individualistic environments. Some countries are actually raised to believe they are part of a collective whole - a group! Countries like America put emphasis on accepting responsibility for our own actions, understanding our thoughts, valuing our own opinion before everyone else's, being unique. As such, we are socialized to believe we do not conform to the norm. But I do not agree that the belief is true. We are socialized into conformity. Not conforming is what we call mental illness. In some cultures, psychosis may be the norm. In which case, someone with brief psychotic disorder would not be considered mentally ill!

I am not saying that everyone is exactly alike unless they have a psychological disorder. Not at all. We all have a separate conscious. We think differently, we are different people, we are aware differently. But on a social level, each society has its set morals, it's set expectations. And there must be a reason for this. A philosophy quote comes to mind...

Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods?

In short, philosophers have been wondering this very thing for years.

It is important to remember - always - that correlation does not equal causation. Sure, many people who are suicidal have mental illness. But not everyone who has mental illness will be suicidal. Nor is everyone who is suicidal able to be diagnosed with a psychological disorder. Likewise, sure a lot of us have weak social circles and are socially stunted. But not everyone who is a loner or shy is suicidal.

I'm rambling, and I'm not even sure what for. The very idea of socialization, suicidal feelings, and morality intrigues me. The very idea of right and wrong may be nothing more than a romantic idea at best. It is something that keeps me up at night, certainly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.