The negative sides of purging

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by LukeH, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeH

LukeH Member

loads of people are struggling with it so I thought Id be a good idea to make a reminder of why is it a bad idea. Ill start.. makes you exhausted and red on the face
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It rots all you teeth destroys your esophagus
  3. LukeH

LukeH Member

good point.
  4. Lexicon

Lexicon Well-Known Member

It gives you hormonal imbalances that make you everything from chronically depressed/suicidal to temperamental....
  5. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Throwing up just feels bad...
  6. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

you do it so often you know whats the 'best' food to purge.
  7. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

your body can become dependent on laxatives if taken too much, and you'll never have a regular bowel movement for a long long long time.
  8. Jace

Jace Active Member

Teeth start to decay and due to loss of calcium in the teeth and erosion of the tooth enamel. Gums become susceptible to disease because of constant exposure to stomach acids. Obviously, the combination of stomach acids and disease will cause halitosis as well.
  9. LukeH

LukeH Member

I didnt know half the things u said especially the hormons imbalance freaked me out :O I never made purging a habit just every now and then but this is disturbing
  10. Lexicon

Lexicon Well-Known Member

Yeah, the hormonal imbalances are a nightmare, and tend to compound the illness itself.
  11. alison

alison Well-Known Member

besides what have been mentioned, these are the ones I can think of

1. I don't know if you binge & purge, or purge normal meals.. but I binge and purge and I waste sooo much money on food that I just end up throwing up. So for me its way expensive.

2. Strain muscles - I felt like I did a weird/bad ab workout after a really forceful purge the other day.. my therapist says I probably pulled a stomach muscle.

3. Swollen glands / sore throat ALL the time

4. Strains social situations - I have trouble eating with people, because I know it will be more difficult to purge afterwards. So when my bulimia gets bad, I avoid people at all costs

5. I've heard horror stories of people clogging toilets/drains. That scares me, especially since I purge in the shower a lot.

6. It's just gross
  12. MissMisery

MissMisery Well-Known Member

It becomes too normal if u do it too often
    Electrolyte imbalances: esp low potassium, can lead to heart failure not to mention how dreadful you feel.

Sensitive teeth, lack of enamel > tooth decay, gum disease

Emptying your stomach leads to another binge and then repeat

Sore or bleeding throat

Acid reflux
    Swollen cheeks
    Low self esteem
    Lots of cleaning up

13. Ems112

Ems112 Member

Chipmunk cheeks
    Torn esophagus
    Cardiac arrest
    Ruptured stomach
    Ruptured bloodvessles
    Terrible at managing time
    Financial instability
    Anxiety (especially when you're in a situation where you can't get it out)

Just to list a few. :-\
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.