• We had a slight glitch and the forum deleted about 80 threads at random - we are restoring them currently but you may have had an alert saying your thread was deleted - please ignore this and do not be concerned. Thanks, Freya :)

The negative sides of purging

Status
Not open for further replies.
loads of people are struggling with it so I thought Id be a good idea to make a reminder of why is it a bad idea. Ill start..
1.it makes you exhausted and red on the face

Jace

Teeth start to decay and due to loss of calcium in the teeth and erosion of the tooth enamel. Gums become susceptible to disease because of constant exposure to stomach acids. Obviously, the combination of stomach acids and disease will cause halitosis as well.

I didnt know half the things u said especially the hormons imbalance freaked me out :O I never made purging a habit just every now and then but this is disturbing

alison

besides what have been mentioned, these are the ones I can think of

1. I don't know if you binge & purge, or purge normal meals.. but I binge and purge and I waste sooo much money on food that I just end up throwing up. So for me its way expensive.

2. Strain muscles - I felt like I did a weird/bad ab workout after a really forceful purge the other day.. my therapist says I probably pulled a stomach muscle.

3. Swollen glands / sore throat ALL the time

4. Strains social situations - I have trouble eating with people, because I know it will be more difficult to purge afterwards. So when my bulimia gets bad, I avoid people at all costs

5. I've heard horror stories of people clogging toilets/drains. That scares me, especially since I purge in the shower a lot.

6. It's just gross

MissMisery

It becomes too normal if u do it too often
Electrolyte imbalances: esp low potassium, can lead to heart failure not to mention how dreadful you feel.

Sensitive teeth, lack of enamel > tooth decay, gum disease

Emptying your stomach leads to another binge and then repeat

Dizziness
Tiredness
Sore or bleeding throat

Acid reflux
Swollen cheeks
Low self esteem
Lots of cleaning up

Blahhhhh

Chipmunk cheeks
Torn esophagus
Cardiac arrest
Dehydration
Ruptured stomach
Ruptured bloodvessles
Tired
Weak
Antisocial
Terrible at managing time
Financial instability
Depression
Anxiety (especially when you're in a situation where you can't get it out)

Just to list a few. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$235.00
Goal
$255.00