"the new Black"

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, May 16, 2010.

1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Does anyone think this phrase is "cool"?

Because it has always been so out and ugly to be Black, right? Black being beautiful and desirable is totally only a trend, right?

Stupid people.

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm being over sensitive here. But has this been triggered by my thread in the soapbox?

Anyways I'm confused becuase 'the new black' to me has always been a phrase used when talking about fashion. Nothing at all to do with race or colour.

If the phrase means something else where you live, then I apologise.
  3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I've also never seen it used in reference to race.

It seems a stretch to even apply it to such context.
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Agreed, I've heard the expression before but never in reference to race.
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I have. Not in those exact terms, but the thinking behind it that PB talks about, yeah. Of course.

"The acceptable black person."
  6. alle_vite

alle_vite Well-Known Member

Yeh ive heard that phrase used b4 but again it was related to fashion as in grey is the new black in cloth colours, ive never heard it used in racial terms tho!
  7. xan

xan Chat Buddy

The origin: "It was used repeatedly in the 1980s to indicate that other colors (frequently brown, navy blue, or grey) were temporarily displacing black's position in fashion or industrial design as a versatile staple that complemented all other aspects and was generally unobjectionable."

I've not thought of it as in terms of race.. and even if i did why does it have to suddenly be a negative thing? Stupid social stigmas promoting prejudism :dry:
  8. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I've always thought the term has its origin in the fashion industry...
  9. Things

Things Well-Known Member

The only time I hear this phrase used for race, was when people say "gay is the new black".

In general, I thought it just means that the color black is very popular, and that a new color is rising in popularity (black, is after all, a very popular color). I've never heard of it being used in a negative way.
  10. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

its definatly true, this phrase refers to little black dresses, therefore and thus such and such with:robin:
    i have refered to myself as being 'the new black' many times, so yes i kinda like the phrase

edit:i really dont know what origional post is refering to, so i replied anyway.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  11. Prinnctopher's Belt

(2007-8) "Black is the new white" was said by a number of commentators referring to the election of Barack Obama.

(2008) "Bitch is the new Black." Said by Tina Fey on an episode of Saturday Night Live, referring to then Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's campaign. Three weeks later, on the same show, Fey's 30 Rock co-star Tracy Morgan retorted: "Bitch may be the new black but black is the new president, bitch."

(2009) "Red is the new black" says Bliss in The Goode Family, meaning Native Americans and African Americans

You are off your rocker if you think this phrase has not been used for meaning "the new Black" as in Black Americans, or that it's cool/bad/was bad to be Black, Black president, Beyonce, etc., in addition to whatever it is you're talking about black dresses.
  12. Prinnctopher's Belt

It's triggered by the author's use of it in her article. It's not exclusive to fashion, it's all about TRENDS in general.
  13. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

2 of the 3 are from comedy shows, and it's really just light-hearted joking...

I don't know, it just seems like it's a search for racism that isn't there.
  14. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

15. Prinnctopher's Belt

The point is that it is being and has been used in the context of race. It's silly and ignorant to outright deny this.
  16. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Who's denying it?

And the better question, what is the big deal of it being used in racial context like the aforementioned examples?
  17. Prinnctopher's Belt

It's never going to be a big deal for YOU. See the original post. That's how I feel about it when it IS used in that context. I don't really care that you don't feel anything about it; you're not expected to.