The nights are the worst

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Rookie, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rookie

Rookie Active Member

Hey all, Im just lying here, staring at my ceiling, looking for something... anything that might make the nights easier to cope with... I dont sleep often and its been six days since i managed to sleep... My doctor has put me on various sleeping tablets but because of thier addictive nature, my doctor only gives me seven tablets a month... The reason i dont sleep is i cant shut my brain off, it goes at 1000mph until either i take a tablet or i pass out due to pure exhaustion... The sleep deprivation is horrible and i see why it is used in modern warfare as a non violent form of torture... I guess i just want some advice on how to get out of my head, how to relax and sleep without medication or exhaustion... or if anyone knows of a sleeeping tablet that works and isnt addictive i would greatly appreciate it.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi hun sorry you too suffer from the racing thoughts hun melatonin can be bought from pharmacy it is a natural sedative as we have it in our body already ask your doctor if it would be ok to use it in Also hun put some light music on so your brain can just listen to that ok not the noise inside it hugs
  3. I've got horrible insomnia and I take childrens Benadryl it works for me for some though it can work the opposite so try a small amount first.
  4. Much afraid

Much afraid Well-Known Member

Hi Rookie. Nights are the worst for sure and then being unable to sleep just kicks it up another level. Listening to soft music helps me - it isn't foolproof but it has helped bring the thoughts down to a dull roar. Good luck! Here's to quiet thought and restful sleep for all of us. ♥
  5. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

have you tried the usual relaxing before bed, relaxing atmosphere
    avoiding getting stressed, avoiding tea and coffee before bed etc.
  6. Rookie

Rookie Active Member

Hey guys, thanks for the help... unfortunately in the uk the only form of melatonin available is on prescription and for use in over 55's :(.
    Ive tried music before bed but i always get either the word to the song or the melody stuck in my head and that keeps me awake more... i dont drink tea or coffee past 6pm and ive tried deep relaxation techniques and meditation but nothing helps.
  7. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Try cutting out caffeine including that in soft drinks completely. Since discovering I'm hypersensitive to it I never drink coffee after midmorning and when not sleeping well cut it completely. I use audio books as well. They must not trigger but need to be absorbing so my thoughts don't stray. The voice of the reader is important for me as well. You would probably have different needs so won't recommend any particular book.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  8. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

what about reading one of the latest releases in the charts or a paperback of your favourite author thats completely off your situation and non-triggering x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.