the non-suicidal handicapped

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

In the news there was a story about a lady who stands 3 feet tall and weighs about 50 pounds. She somehow gave birth to a 1 foot baby boy, defying her doctor's prediction of dying during childbirth.

There's a commercial about a 3 year old boy with leukemia. He went through numerous radiation treatments and takes multiple medications per day. His father constantly fights to keep him alive, much to the boy's visible exhaustion.

At my school, two blind students have enrolled in the stenography curriculum. Most of the work and equipment are not blind-friendly, so the school is bending over backwards to please them and please us.

Could it be that the handicapped are so obsessed with super-achieving that they are handicapping us in our appreciation of an enjoyable, average time here on Earth? If I was a lady midget, I wouldn't even want to get pregnant! Why make things hard for yourself AND your child? And if I had leukemia at 3, I would be insane from the treatments I was getting, but horrified to die. At that age, I would have no idea what death is like. But I hope his father would be open to his son wanting to quit this torture and find peace.

However, what really made me write this post are the blind students. The curriculum is grueling enough for the sighted. I managed to thrive thanks to the instructor's attention. For that focus to be cut in half thanks to an ambitious blind person gives me mixed feelings. The school should realize it can't please everybody. It's good that there's handicapped ramps, parking spots, and railings, but I think this is just going too far. I'm impressed by the blind exploring new avenues, but from curriculum experience, I know they won't be able to do everything. Why can't they just rest at home and listen to Moby Dick on tape?

2. Joshuwah

Joshuwah Well-Known Member

Gone...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008
  3. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

you disgust me.

disabled people are people, if they are able to do something, even if it needs a bit of help to do, and they want to do they should be allowed. you've basically just said that having a physical disability makes you less of a person, yea there are disabled people out there with no motivation, but others do everything they can to be seen as equal to the able bodied and you've just shat all over their efforts

ive heard of people with terminal cancer running marathons and raising thousands for charity, but according to you they should have just sat at home and awaited the inevitable. i feel bad for the blind students in your class, they have to have a teacher who's attention is split in half by a bigot.

4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I never said the things you're claiming I did. I am not a bigot and I never wrote that having a disability makes you less of a person. So called "normal people" have limits, which mean handicapped people certainly do. Sometimes by over-achieving, they forget what effect this has on others, like the midget's child or my already overburdened and underbudgeted school.

5. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

if a person should not be allowed do what they want just because they are disabled then you are essentially saying they have less human rights than others, even if you don't say it in those words. yes we all have limits, but having a physical disability doesn't mean their limit is lower than anyone else, and if they are willing to put the effort in to push themselves to their limit, then good on them

the word you need to learn is dwarf, not "midget", and you, nor i know what kind of mother the one you have made an example of, but clearly she wanted a child badly, so lets assume she will be a good one. yes, there will be struggles, but clearly she is strong and determined, and i wouldn't be surprised if her child did fantastically in life, not to mention the fact he will have the benefit of knowing what it's like to be different, so wont shun others for theirs
    do you honestly think an interviewer who doesn't hire someone because they're physically disabled would hire someone with a history of depression?

you talk like you think you cant go so far because there are disabled people who can equal, or possibly do better than, you. don't blame them for that. they've work as hard or possibly harder than you to get where they are, and if that's what they want to do, you have no right to stop them

6. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

<3

(5 characters. :/)

7. I find it a shame that this thread has already gotten off on the wrong foot. While there are some good points made on both sides, I think the OP actually asked some quite thoughtful questions (well, except perhaps for that closing remark). Other than that, I did not find any statements or "judgements" made, and their own concerns (which were not mere "opinions") are just as valid as any other. Knee-jerk reactions and instant defensiveness (which may feel quite natural) do not help expand on the subject in any meaningful way...which, it seems to me, the OP was trying to achieve...If there are any answers/solutions to be explored, getting emo is not the way to get there.

A few days ago I had wanted to start a thread about Robert Latimer. But seeing what's already happening here, I think I'll pass...

8. Sylar

Sylar Well-Known Member

as much as people try to be emotional about this I think he got a point there

I mean what the midget woman did was immoral giving birth to a handicaped kid while she knows he will suffer and the doctors said it wont be healthy ...
    and I think instead of slowing down education of healthy people because of blind ones there should be a special school for them
    and I'm not offending handicapped people by this or disrespecting them I'm just giving a logical explanation and solution that is good for everyone
    be realistic for a while

9. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

* blinks *

I'd no doubt say you are offending handicapped and blind people by effectively saying they should be sealed off in a special school from the rest of the education system..

10. Sylar

Sylar Well-Known Member

not sealed off try to understand , man
    I special school with the special resources and material for their special needs
    making it a lot more comfortable for both sides

11. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Right on Skylar!

12. Joshuwah

I just disagree with the way a blind kid could get grades the same as me, yet he/she gets more credit because they're handicapped.

That shit gets me pissed...

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

But don't those pupils who aren't very clever slow down the education of those who are?

And aren't those pupils who misbehave slowing down the education of those who behave?

Looks like we should have special schools for them too then?

14. Sylar

Sylar Well-Known Member

no disrespect sir but I find your logic to be crappy
    those pupils ain't blind and are totally in control of their actions so they got to choose between being smart and being a pupil
    but blind people ain't got no choice and have special need so I'll say it again :
    and if you still don't get my point , I don't care

15. Joshuwah

Sylar :hug: I get your point :dance:

16. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

so now your logic is that kids who choose to misbehave should be allowed stay with those who try hard, but if people try hard and are blind they should be seperated

interesting.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Crappy logic huh? Well I'm not surprised. You should have seen the kids I had in my classes at school.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008
  18. Joshuwah

I think this thread should be locked or marked flame in the title...

19. Sylar

Sylar Well-Known Member

why do you keep on saying seperated ?
    a special school for blind people with special teachers with experience on how to deal with the blind
    and special tools and materials to teach them in the best conditions
    I mean if you don't get convinced by such solution then what is your solution ?
    sure they can keep on trying hard with teachers with no experience what so ever with blind people and keep on slowing down others progress instead of going to a school that actually HAS what it takes for their special needs

you talk to me like I hate blind people and I want them to die while I only gave a solution that is best for everyone

the healthy students that actually misbehave and interrupt other's education
    should actually get warnings and if they keep on like that they get suspended

:thanks: :hug:

20. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

why can't all teachers get experience and training to teach the blind?

school is meant to prepare you for the "real world" and the fact is that world has sighted, able bodied, people in the majority, so if the disabled are integrated from a young age it will be easier for everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.