The place I go for therapy is a cesspool :(

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Bob26003, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

but there is nowhere else :( I dunno what to do....... I need therapy. But I don't want to go back to this place...... and here is why.

any advice?

===========

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Wheeling-based Northwood Health Systems is a non-profit organization that has managed to make millions in "profits" every year -- and has transferred at least $20 million to a foundation that promotes Christianity.

These profits have allowed Northwood CEO Pete Radakovich to receive more than $480,000 in compensation in fiscal year 2008 from Northwood and the Behavioral Health Foundation.

Last month, state regulators chose not to renew Northwood's license to operate, after two clients died and investigators found evidence of abuse and humiliation.

They're allowing Northwood to stay open during negotiations. At stake are the futures of hundreds of employees and about 3,000 people with mental illness, substance abuse problems and developmental disabilities.

One woman's death occurred Aug. 30 at a crisis stabilization unit run by Mid-Valley Healthcare, which is part of Northwood.

In their investigative reports, state regulators said the center was understaffed. They said the two staff working the night the woman died did not know she was suicidal, did not watch her closely enough, and failed to properly perform CPR on her.

Money could help fix problems like this, said Clarice Hausch, director of West Virginia Advocates. She has more than 30 years' experience in mental health.

And Northwood is an unusually "profitable" non-profit. It made $6 million more than it spent in the 2008 fiscal year, according to a financial report with the state Health Care Authority.

But most of those profits aren't going to hire more Northwood employees or raise ground-level employee salaries.

Instead, Northwood transferred more than $20 million to the Behavioral Health Foundation between 2003 and 2007, according to records on file with the state Health Care Authority.

"I am troubled that Northwood can put millions into this foundation, but is still understaffing its crisis stabilization unit," Hausch said.

In all, the Behavioral Health Foundation has almost $35 million in assets, of which almost $32 million is cash and cash equivalents, according to its 2008 financial statement.

The Foundation says it is not a "related organization" to Northwood, according to a letter from lawyer James W. Thomas to the Health Care Authority.

But Northwood and the Behavioral Health Foundation have one thing in common -- their leader is Radakovich.

Radakovich made more than $390,000 in salary and other compensation from Northwood in fiscal year 2008, according to Northwood's IRS 990 form.

He made another $90,000 as head of the Behavioral Health Foundation, documents show, for a total of $480,000 in compensation.

In comparison, the head of the state's largest mental health provider, Bob Hansen of Prestera, made about $104,000.

Northwood spokesman John Culler has declined several requests for an interview, and did not respond to an e-mail inquiry about Northwood's money transfers.

Hausch said most mental health providers barely make ends meet, after they hire enough staff and pay them sufficient wages to prevent massive turnover.

"This is astounding. I have never heard of another behavioral health provider making those types of profits, except for Northwood," she said.

'A world-class provider'

Not long ago, Northwood Health Systems held itself up as a national model of how to run a mental health agency.

"Simply put, Northwood has succeeded where others have failed," said a 2006 release from Northwood's PR firm, Charles Ryan and Associates.

Radakovich "instituted changes and ideas that not only saved Northwood, but could also save other health organizations as well," the release said.

The PR offensive paid off. In May 2006, the Chronicle of Philanthropy wrote a glowing article about Radakovich.

"Today Northwood's fortunes -- and its reputation -- have turned around," the article said.

He did this by cutting staff by one-quarter. He reduced vacation days and eliminated sick days entirely. He demanded staff see more clients and increased the workweek to 50 to 55 hours a week.

In the past, Northwood credited a hard-nosed business strategy and state-of-the-art computer system for its success.

And it said a state contractor, APS Healthcare, has consistently ranked Northwood as one of the best mental health agencies in the state, based on its paperwork and interviews with Northwood staff.

But last month, regulators with the state Office of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification decided not to renew Northwood's license to operate as of Oct. 1.

The Sept. 8 order said Northwood "conducts practices that jeopardize the health, safety, welfare and clinical treatment of consumers."

State regulators were responding to two client deaths within a one-month period (a third woman has died since then), as well as reports of alleged abuse and humiliation of clients.

According to OHFLAC reports:

Continues................

http://wvgazette.com/News/200910100433

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

It is awful how people get enriched from the suffering of others.

My recommendation for interim help is to go to a Codependents Anonomous
    or Al-Anon group.

That may seem like a strange suggestion but they are broad based and are helpful for many basic problems and it helps one from being isolated.

:hug:

3. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Don't certain hospitals offer psy help?

If you feel worse going there, sure don't. I'm in a free center. But I don't if where you live they provide these aids. Or try to ask for help at the red cross. Humanitarians might be able to help you, or address you somewhere that's not shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.