The Point of SF?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Sakura, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakura

Sakura Well-Known Member

I'm not here to try to start an argument, or even to cause a fuss. I just really...truly want to know what real purpose Suicide Forums serves, when so many of the Senior Members themselves, or people who have been here for a while, and have tried so hard to help others...always seem to end up being the ones writing suicide posts eventually themselves.

I mean I fully understand that they are just regular people, like everyone else. They just have a lot of posts, or they joined earlier than others. But when I see someone who has been here for at least a year...maybe even longer...and who has hundreds of posts to their name, post a message saying that they are about to kill kind of makes me wonder "well hey...if they've been here for so long, and have tried so hard at this site, yet are still so willing to take their own life, then what has this site really done for them? Can anyone here really help anyone else?"
  2. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

..Because it's not a miracle cure.

But 'can anyone here help anyone else?' - i'd say yes, it's about having someone to turn to when there's no one around you to ask, having people understand, it can make a big difference to feel less alone...
  3. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

yeh i joined this site not looking for a cure. but just as a place to go where i wont be judged
  4. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

To talk to other people who feel suicidal also. when you say help what exactly do you mean? using words to inspire others to live?
  5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

It serves as a place for people to come and (hopefully) feel safe, and can talk with people who feel the same, or who have felt the same as they do, about issues, such as suicide, depression, self-harm etc, and it can put them on the road to recovery. It did with me - I owe my life to here.

No matter what a member's user-title (New Member, Senior Member etc), be it a new member, senior member, chat monitor, or member of staff, we all joined here for one reason: to find help in our hour of need.

Everyone has bad days, so therefore, everyone will write posts about how bad they feel, every now and again, if not to get some insight, to certainly just get it out through words, and it feels good to do that.

One may feel suicidal one day, yet much better the next - it's just the way that emotions and moods work, unfortunately. If there was a magic 'Happy' drink, I'd imagine we'd all here, take it.

I don't believe this site was ever set out as the one and only cure for suicidal feelings, or depression, more as an outlet for it.
    As it says, no-one here is trained counsellors, and this site is in no way a subsitute for professional care or treatment.

Bear in mind that a lot of a members posts may be offering a hand to others, rather than saying things about themselves.
    Equally, it could be a lot about themselves, and not a lot to others - there's nothing wrong with either.

I think, at the end of the day, this site cannot replace professional help on any level, except maybe people can lighten their loads here, by talking to other like-minded invidiuals.
    Suicidal feelings can remain for a long time - just because people have been on this site for a long time and are still posting about them, is not a bad thing: it is good, as they are reaching out.
    I'd much rather have a suicidal person post here about it, rather than them not post, and perhaps never do.

People from here certainly can help each other: I have met many many great friends here. Lifelong friendships are formed here.
    It is amazing how another person saying 'I care, I am listening', can boost someone's mood, and allow them to talk, at least partially, about what they have been holding inside them for X amount of time, or how bad their day was etc. :)

EDIT: I will also move this thread to the Uncertainty Principle, as it's more appropriate there.
  6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I completely agree with Abacus21 on this :hug:
  7. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

I agree with points made, though myself haven't really got help. And I find it even impossible as this is only forum. But writing things that bother mind sometimes helps a bit, though I mostly feel stupid whining here.
  8. Sakura

Sakura Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I had meant ^^

I apologize for having it in the wrong place ^^;

And I thank you all for your candid, and helpful answers ^^
  9. slim_to_none

slim_to_none Well-Known Member

i just wanted to say that i see this forum as somewhere that we can safely say things that most other online forums wont allow. (well, none that i am on will allow anyway).
    and having been there, been though things, we have strength that we dont know about until we're able to help others.

i know it helps me to try and help others. i try and follow the eating disorders section as i have an eating disorder myself and any education i can offer or support i can give is as good as giving that help to myself.

i think this is a really good question.
    thanks sakura.
  10. kirstyclive

kirstyclive Guest

helping others on here has actually stopped me wanting to do it! i still get my moments but nothing like they used to be because in encouraging others not to do it im kinda talking myself out of it as well in a way... so to me it has been a great help talking here on SF
  11. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I feel the same way as kirstyclive: being able to offer help and support to others gives me a reason to live and makes me feel better myself.:smile: I too still have my moments, but they are not as horrible as they used to be and are shorter in duration than they used to be. When I came here I was ready to end my life but the love and friendship and support I got from the start gave me hope.:smile:

12. Sakura

Sakura Well-Known Member

You're welcome ^^

I'm truly happy that I could at least make a slight difference somewhere, before I go ^^
  13. reborn1961

reborn1961 Guest

As with anything in life, the site is what you make of it. What you give and what you take. Most folks that want suicide do not want another person to choose that same fate. It is natural for us humans to NOT practice what we preach. I am a senior and have tried to help and made attempts. The mind varies and what keeps me up one moment can reverse the next.

No one person, place, website etc can supply answers that need to come from deep inside you when your ready. I hope you look at the site without bias. Good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.