The point of waiting? (hope)

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by TheBestInTheWorld, Sep 22, 2013.

1. TheBestInTheWorld

TheBestInTheWorld New Member

Hello,

I'm posting this here just to get opinions and input from the people that frequent this forum. I've been sitting in contemplative silence for awhile due to insomnia but I'll try to keep it neat and summarized:

I'm really confused as to what the point of living is if your life just completely sucks.

Like I know that people typically swarm at you with meaningful messages of "hope" and claims that "it will get better", but when exactly does it get better? If your life sucks the majority of the time, what is the point?

Take this one guy for example. This guy was like 45-50 years old (way passed the prime of his life...) and his life was so horrible he dropped everything he had and scrounged up money to fly to Germany and marry his soulmate that he found online. Now don't get me wrong, this is touching but after getting to know this gentleman a little here and there, his life was pretty desolate until this. It's almost like he retired from having a sucky life to have something to the life people half his age are having.

I think the point I'm trying to get across, is I don't see the point in waiting. I'm not even the type to sit around and wallow in my problems, but whenever I try to make things better for myself there's always some form of barrier to any genuine happiness in my life. What is the point in living such a hollow life? How can I possibly lie to myself "it'll get better soon" or even think "how long do I have to wait? 10, 20, 30 years??"

I'm not even like... currently depressed or suicidal (well maybe a little). It's just that I'm completely exhausted of "hope" because frankly, it's just a major let-down every time.

People either live a life of happiness or a life of meaning. Both at once can't be done. Two very different paths. I mean, to be truly happy, a man must live absolutely in the present. And with no thought of what's gone before, and no thought of what lies ahead. But, a life of meaning... A man is condemned to wallow in the past and obsess about the future."
    - Mr. Linnerman

2. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Some days are better than others. That's the only given. How you deal with the bad days are totally up to you. However, it takes courage to keep going on even though things don't seem to matter anymore or things are too overwhelming to cope with. I think everybody goes through rough times. It's how one finds the guts to keep on going is the only answer to persevere in this life. Hope something will keep encouraging you...even if only this forum will help. Please keep on trying. It's worth the effort...I believe.

3. Anon06

Anon06 Member

It's all about what do you want. What do you wish would get better? Just waiting isn't going to help much. Time can fix some things, but many others are left untoched by it. That 45-50 year old guy you mentioned, he took his life into his hands and did what he wanted at that moment. You said "It's almost like he retired from having a sucky life to have something to the life people half his age are having": is that really so? Having a soulmate is not a given, no matter your age.
    Sure, "soulmate" is a big word; perhaps after a while things won't work out and even that 50 year old guy will break up with that soulmate and his life will go back to being as shitty as ever. No matter what you do in life, there are always some risks involved. Nonetheless he tried: isn't that better than doing nothing? If you do nothing, not much will change. If you don't like the status quo, you should try to change. Humans are far from omnipotent and therefore there are things which cannot be changed by us no matter how much we try. After all the world isn't a place meant for us: if that were the case, there wouldn't be so many illness, so many dangers and obstacles to our existence. Nature is pretty much indifferent to us and no one is going to give us anything for free. There you have it: the world doesn't want you, or at best it doesn't really care whether you exist or not, whether you are happy or not. What are you going to do about it? No matter what you do, eventually everyone dies. Thus wouldn't be better to take your chances and try to achieve something you wish for, change things for the better as much as is possible? You can call it quits if you feel like it, we have that much freedom; but you can always die later, so what's the rush?

4. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

I use your exact same argument, I figure why bother trying when there are people out there who live happy lives during their youth. Yet for some reason, I am told to not die because things have an imaginarychan ce to get better. I am just as confused as you are.

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I dont have any answers. I think I was born for a reason. So I should do the best i can to find out what I am supposed to do here. Am i happy? not really. am I fulfilled, no. But what if I died and then realized that if I had just hung on things would have made sense. That I was here for a reason.

So I stay alive. I long for my death. Simply becuse I long for relief. I just feel my death should come naturally. These are just my thoughts. I do not have answers. Nor do I know anything.