The pressure to be a professional

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by LetItGo, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I don't know about you, but when I look through the listings of courses offered by universities I wonder how much of it is necessary. It was interesting to read just the other day that some of the so called "elite" uni's in the U.K are discounting many subjects studied at what must be the equivalent of high school over there, A levels etc - anything that isn't considered core, such as science, math or english is up for scrutiny.

Degree's in business, writing, some of the arts and social science courses (not talking creative arts). Hell, even the course I'm doing probably doesn't require a degree, but without it, you can't get anywhere.

Not to mention that some people still see a degree or postgrad qualifications as a necessary part of the mix in a partner. Still that status symbol associated with it, although I think that has substantially diminished over the years.

The world has become too specialized and the education sector makes a mint from this obsession industry and society has with turning every little activity into a degree. Any takers for a Masters in Farting? Keep in mind you'll need solid average in the Bachelor of Farting before even applying, so if you don't have that, don't even bother! Oh, did I mention it will cost you thousands of dollars and is unlikely to provide you with a single cent in return, but thats cool, cause jeebuz, you'll be farting like a champion!
  2. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I totally agree
    i know some one who has a degree in cleaning. I cant remember what he called it but its still cleaning. Experience and safety training yes but a degree? He gets paid twice as much as me though so good on him.
    I will always value experience as better, at least then you know some one can actually do what is required instead of just knowing what should be done.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

almost 30 yrears experiance in my field yet they choose a new grad because of the degree masters batchelors yet when they hit the fileld pratical skills are no where to be seen they choose a title over experiance i feel sad for the people who are under the care because without the experiance worker showing these new degrees people what to do they haven't a clue.
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Their is a job shortage, university is cheap as hell now and you don't have to be of a high intelligence to get on most courses, why would employers want to set anyone on without a degree when the universities are churning out hundreds of thousands every year?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  5. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

MJ :D

I do a business degree and if I am honest I've learnt hardly anything, common sense, what I have learnt I could have done on the job, learnt more and faster, learnt more through observation than reading.

But the catch being without this degree I cant get that job.

I am also worried about not doing well enough on the course. I'm just trying to forget about that though.
  6. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

See thats the silliness of it right there. You know yourself you could learn just as much on the job without spending the thousands of dollars on a degree. The cheapest subjects here run about $900 each, so we are talking $20k for a piece of paper that quite often isn't really required. It just seems like a vast ripoff to me. But like you say, without it, your stuck on minimum income for life unless you go into business and succeed at that. Pretty tough these days when something like 80% of small businesses fail in the first 3 years.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  7. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

It's the effects of trying to make the transition into a modern financial based nation instead of industrial.

They used to call the children of the 70s and 80s the "lost generation" because they'd leave school and have nothing to go into. But that was because industry was declining, docks and mines closing, businesses went abroad because it was cheaper.

So the supposed solution was to force everyone into further education. Keep people in school for longer so that they arnt unemployed. So many people get degrees now that if you dont have one you look like the minority.

We're seeing the effects of too many graduates. Not enough people get a job in their degree field, they arnt available. There are people with degrees in engineering who end up working in a supermarket.

To get a job its no longer about what you know, its about who you know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.