The Price of Self-Medicating...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by TooShyToScream, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TooShyToScream

TooShyToScream Well-Known Member

So, I'm on my way to school this morning on the train, and I notice that I suddenly feel extremely nauseous from the Suboxone I've been taking 2 days in a row for no specific medical reason other than to feel numb. My fiance takes it for opiate addiction and I bug him sometimes to give me some because it makes me feel good. Well, I didn't feel too good a half hour or so ago, that's for sure. I thought I could tolerate it until I got to my stop and then go to the bathroom and throw up, but I had to get off about 2 stops earlier before I vomited all over all of the passengers. Not that that wouldn't be funny (for me), but it'd also be pretty embarrassing, so...anyway, I had to get off early to throw up. That's how bad I felt. I guess I got what was coming...theoretically, this should teach me a lesson, but I'm sure I'll still keep doing it.
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

STOP doing it NOW!!!!
    You have had a warning take heed!
    If you need to feel numb then there's a reason, find out what it is and deal with it, but don't put harmful substances into your body!
  3. TooShyToScream

Actually, now that I think about it, it's been 3 days in a row even.

I know that stopping is the obvious answer...but it's not that easy. I can deal with a few side effects in return for it subsiding my depression.
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Go see your doc, get the correct treatment for your depression!
  5. TooShyToScream

I've done that. The correct treatment for my depression doesn't provide any temporary relief.
  6. Arthur523

Arthur523 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same exact boat as you TooShy! The meds I'm prescribed now honestly don't do much of anything for me, and next time I go see my doctor I'm going to try and get a script for xanax or something... Just something that I can take to instantly lower my anxiety/depression. I self-medicate with oxycodone and other "downers," but I would quit the illegal drugs if I could get something professionally prescribed. I feel like I would benefit very much from a PRN to go alongside my other meds (anti-depressants).

Still do your best to regulate your intake of suboxen and like-drugs. You don't want to get dependent. And definitely stay away from harder stuff like heroin, and needles... that can only bring bad news. Unless of course you don't mind going through heroin addiction and withdrawals and living in a drug rehab.. whatever floats your boat I guess! :)
  7. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Your still going to school? Never realised you were so young and I'm a bit shocked your using this drug which is used for heroin withdrawal and pain management.

I do get a painkiller, codeine, which is an opioid. This is for pain management but I've noticed long ago that opioids do tackle depression albeit for a short period. Luckily I've never got to the point were I've used up all my pills before the prescription is due up.

There have been times I've used my daily allocation just for the evening. That said its only 240mg per day which is nothing for anyone abusing it. Its still enough to knock the average person for 6.

The danger is that you use daily and use increasingly higher doses of the opioid of your choice. I use daily, but I'm lucky in that my enzymes which process opioids seem to be satisfied with the prescribed daily limit. For 20 years or more its been the same. I suppose anyone using pain killers, prescribed of course, can take comfort in that you can use them and not become addicted.

I take the odd day or two off just to clear the system.

As for heroin, I know I'd love that drug and have seen countless people addicted to it.

If you are very rich, heroin is not that much of an issue. In fact you can just find a doctor who will prescribe it to you and you'll live a normal life, apart from maybe having to needle up in the morning, afternoon and night. Like a diabetic.

Pure heroin is way less harmful than cigarettes if prescribed by a doctor.

If you are not very very rich - then heroin is a nightmare. Illegal street heroin can contain anything from faeces, urine (do you think the people dealing in it wash their hands?) and an array of substances added to bulk up the weight. Even Anthrax is found in batches of heroin. People have died in the UK - a dozen of more I think.

If you like opioids, then trust me, stay the **** away from heroin. It is a drug which will make you ill the first time - but if you have enough left over then the second time is usually the one that hooks you. Third time your an expert and can really appreciate feeling as good as you have felt since you last fell in love and walked home at dawn thinking 'Life is great'.

I've never touched heroin.

I guess anyone who is depressed ought to really be very careful. Heroin will cure that depression, but your using a drug that only offers a small window of opportunity before the bars go up - literally in many cases.

Being addicted to prescription medications can often lead people to be curious about heroin. Best stick to the prescribed medications as they are at least pure, you know what your using and how much you ingest. You can get help easier also and will not be arrested if your carrying prescribed drugs, which are prescribed to you of course.

Be careful.
  8. TooShyToScream

I'm in my second year of college. I call it "school" but I don't mean high school or anything. Haven't been in that boat for 4 years now, thank god.

Suboxone is not for pain management it's for opiate and alcohol addiction. My fiance uses it for opiate addiction. He's a heroin addict...which is a good reason for me not to try it - I've seen what it can do, and I don't want to trigger him by any means. Nothing would be worth ruining his life. I stick to the "legal" stuff that's more easily obtainable for me and doesn't risk his health.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  9. TooShyToScream

Yeah, same with me. I have random panic episodes and anger outbursts that cause me to want to harm myself, so I got Lorazepam (Ativan) from my doctor. Unfortunately, it doesn't really help either unless I take like 5-7mg of it...Unless I take it with weed, an opiate, or alcohol. But the point is that they're supposed to help without all those things, so I've decided to ask for Xanax next time I go too. It's supposed to be stronger. Maybe it'll work better so that I don't have to OD or do all that other stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.