• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Practical Advice The problem of procrastination

johnDoen

Well, there are necessary works I need to get done but somehow I keep procrastinating, like distracting myself with almost anything possible. The same is applied to one of my hobby: drawing, since I have been skipping for weeks now. It's like my mind hate the idea of working, or exercising, or anything that is about learning a new set of skills.
I'm going nowhere if I keep procrastinating. I need help.

MisterBGone

o O Oo oO oOo O ooo..!;)~
SF Supporter
I usually in situations such as these, try to take the power away from the thought, so as to give it less importance, and then that way I don't have to "care," or "worry," about it (quite) so much. Then also understanding this, the first step is the hardest. So, that's all you've generally got to do - is to get started... & then before you know it, you're up & running! :) It can be a bit of a 'trap,' if you start to fall into the cycle of putting it off. Just in terms of the psychology of it all. The longer you wait, the worse it gets. It is vicious the way it feeds off itself and can be 'paralyzing,' at times. Particularly when it becomes something of a, "self-fulfilling prophecy." But all is not lost--as I said, you can't win the marathon if you don't take the first step; or stride! (;

extraterrestrialone

assembled words vs disjointed thought
SF Supporter
Well, there are necessary works I need to get done but somehow I keep procrastinating, like distracting myself with almost anything possible. The same is applied to one of my hobby: drawing, since I have been skipping for weeks now. It's like my mind hate the idea of working, or exercising, or anything that is about learning a new set of skills.
I'm going nowhere if I keep procrastinating. I need help.
Hy jDn,
try visualizing what you want to do. what do you draw? think of doing that with a visual image. do your best to think of that image as being a real thing. you can also try thinking of a phrase that includes the positivity of doing the act of drawing that you are visualizing. this sets the stage for the actual reality of it. when you do things that you already actually do, those images and thoughts already do exist in your mind. you will be creating a new set of visual & thought (for drawing) which make the real doing much easier to accomplish. you will have to keep after this. just thinking once or twice probably won’t do the trick but if you make the thought habitual, that helps greatly.

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$305.00
Goal
$255.00