The problem with asking for help

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Repeat Offender, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a small group I have to meet with 9 hours out of the week and finally decided to let my counselor know what is going on (voices, tactile hallucinations, suicidal thoughts). I know how I would do it if I tried to end it again, but I don't currently have a plan to do so. To me it makes sense that instead of trying suicide again I could turn back to various self harm methods which used to always make me feel better. The problem with even mentioning that is that medical people seem to immediately want to call some sort of lock-down facility unless I say I am not going to hurt myself. I really don't see what the problem with it is because it is not causing any permanent damage and it wouldn't even be visible to anybody else and on top of that it makes me feel a lot better!

I did what she told me to and made a psych appt and everything but now I don't feel like I can talk about it again so I just have to pretend it's not going on. Any advice is welcome, and I know I am not the only one to have had this going on so if anybody wants to talk about something that is going on I will. Helps get me out of my own head for a bit.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

the only way you will get the proper help is to be honest with the doctor the problem with self harm is it get worse not better
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi and welcome, what is it that you do with the group 9 hours a week? Is it some sort of support group? I'm sorry just a little confused. I hope things get better for you though, joining here was a good idea, also if you do not mind me asking why the screen name repeat offender?

Best of luck to you!!!
  4. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

I understand completely about being honest to a professional. Those mandatory reporters are a pain in the .....

I'd tell your psych your fears about being locked up first before you mention self harm but I think you should be honest.

(I'm really big on 'do as I say, not as I do'). Stick around-this place is pretty cool.
  5. Thank you for the welcome. The group I meet in is an intensive out-patient program which was the step down from in-patient rehab which I went to for drug addiction. I am still clean, and maybe for my situation it is just a matter of time before these other issues get better but in the mean time I figured talking about them can't hurt and thought I might even talk to someone on here where we can be beneficial to each other.

As far as the screen name I am not entirely sure what was going through my head at the time. Maybe because I have relapsed so many times now. I only have 1 misdemeanor on my record and it is from 10 years ago so I don't have any current legal issues.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello again!

Well done for staying clean for this long, it cannot be easy! One day at a time :)
    I am sure you will find a lot of support here, we all try and pitch in and help each other and as you can see it works out very well.

Oh phew about the misdemeanor, I thought you were someone going back to prison based on your username! lol

Sounds like you are doing on and on the right track, keep it up :)
  7. smwhorses

smwhorses Well-Known Member

So far in my life I only reach the point one time where self harm helped. I am so lost on this topic i am not sure how to word anything... :(
    I felt so out of control it seemed to help right then to have some control over something.
    I look back and can rationalize i had no control but I was involved with a partner who was very adept at control and I was in so much mental pain.

I hope you keep drug free and survive!
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

How long do you have left in the Outpatient program
  9. I'll explain how I rationalize the self-harm that at least makes sense to me whenever I come to that decision. Any time I have suicidal thoughts there is always a wide range of emotions going on at the same time. I guess it's pretty overwhelming and to feel physical pain just kind of trumps whatever is going on in my head so it's sort of calming for a while. I am not promoting it of course, I realize it is not a good solution but most of the time when it has come down to which of the 2 to pick I have gone with self-harm.

Fish - I don't have much longer in the outpatient program but that's kind of up to the counselor. Since I brought up the issues she already said she is extending it so probably at least a couple more weeks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.