The (Racist) Harvard incident

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Some black professor gets eyed by cops as a potential burglar. Obama calls the prying fuzz stupid. All of a sudden cops across America are up in arms. They want an apology. As far as I'm concerned, Obama has nothing to apologize for. Cops ARE stupid. You can tell a dog to fetch a bone just like you can order a cop to enforce a law. What do you think?

2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

First off obama said he did not know all of the facts and then goes on and calls the cambridge police dept idiots... this is outright disrespectful without knowing the whole situation no matter what your view of the police is. Many people who do not know the facts will immediately believe the dept to be in the wrong as the president gave his uninformed opinion on the matter.

Also before making a judgement read the full police report regarding the matter, the 911 recordings will also be out shortly. From what I have read it looks like the cop could have handled it a little better but the harvard professor was completely out of line and sounded like a self entitled jackass. Both parties should apologize.

3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

I think the cop was wrong to arrest the professor.This is about personal rights and as Obama said..cooler heads should have prevailed.Cops DO go on power trips,and it gets out of line all the time.The facts are quite simple.Gates did nothing wrong,was on his own property and the cop should have politely left and end of story.But the cop was annoyed that Gates spewed accusations of racism ,etc so he decides to teach Gates a lesson.Big mistake.Now everyone knows a white cop arrests a black man in his own home for being angry that there is a white cop in his house for NO reason.
    Look.Skin color aside...Gates did nothing wrong and the cop should have bowed out when he saw Gates was agitated....after all he was in Gates house.You can't arrest a person in their own home just because you are put off by their expression of their personal rights :unsure:
    As far as Obama is concerned,really who cares.Gates is Obama's friend and Gates was arrested for no reason ...at least Obama was civil enough to invite them both for beer.I can see that Obama is genuine in this invite and really just wants them all to move on.
    and Obama said the cops acted stupidly in arresting Gates..he did NOT call anyone an idiot.You cannot carry on a debate based on false premises..it loses credibility. having said that..how about a beer? seriously..lol..i love to debate but it is never personal!! remember where we are (at sf).

4. Mikeintx

The cop asked gates to stop yelling at him multiple times as he continued to, he had every right to arrest him as it was causing a scene and he was clearly disobeying a police officer which, despite how you may feel about it, is illegal. Gates own neighbor called the police because they saw gates breaking in, so the police had every right to show up. Gates had to right to pull the racist card the second the cop showed up as he had a valid reason to be there.

Stupidly, idiot, he had no right to make an opinion without knowing the facts beforehand either way.

And yes, please pass the beer, thanks.

5. Mikeintx

I made it personal?

6. ashes_away

sigh.No you didnt.Neither did I or anyone.Nobody did anything and everything just fine. I was just letting you know that although I disagree I am amiable and not at all being personal when debating.I have seen too many debates go wrong and thought it would help to lighten it up beforehand just in case.

oh..beer..bud lite or Guiness? lol

7. ashes_away

about the disobeying the cop when Gates was angry..I think that will become the point of debate over anything else.It raises a question that has nothing to do with race at all and should be interesting to see how that unfolds.

8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, I've been hassled by cops for no reason other than simply existing (and I'm white) and have personally seen racist cops go after black people for nothing. As far as I'm concerned, I don't really care if the police are offended. Too many of them have stuck up for bad apples in the various police departments when they knew damn well the cops were in the wrong. Let them be upset and offended. If the cop wasn't in the wrong, he can just take one for the team, so to speak.

Cops are so abused and mistreated, donchaknow. Cry me a freaking river!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2009
  9. Mikeintx

I think if you went on a ride along with one your opinion may change pretty quickly. Despite how many stories we hear of abuse of power, they have an incredibly tough job and many put their lives on the line everyday.

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Don't care. That's no excuse. Most people have hard jobs and 98% of us don't get away with the slightest thing we do wrong. I'm not some kid who knows nothing about the world. I know what they deal with. They chose to be cops.

11. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

If the professor wasn't black you wouldn't even have heard about it.

12. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

You meant to say that:

If he wasn't a Harvard Prof. you wouldn't even have heard about it.

If he was just a regular Black dude, he would still be locked up

It is well known that Blacks do more time for the same crimes.............

13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

What was Obama doing getting involved in a local dispute anyway? Shouldn't he have higher things on his priority list to be doing?

14. XXXXX

XXXXX Antiquities Friend

I don't see this incident as a "Race" issue, more one of "Class".

A member of the elite (Harvard Prof & freind of the Prez) simply thinking that he was above having to deal with the little people with respect, including this low ranking public official. And he forgot that this public official represented something fundamentally important in society - the law..........Plus anyone with the other sort of class :tongue: could have got through the incident without raising his voice, let alone using insults whilst still letting the officer know his displeasure.

Given that the Officer entered the home for both legal and well intentioned reasons in circumstances that were open to misinterpretation, the occupant should have cut him some slack, and IMO should have been grateful for the quick police response.

Raising yer voice and acting disorderly towards a Police Officer is never a good idea (for Black or White) - I guess the Prof miissed that Class at Harvard :biggrin: - not only does it raise the potential for human conflict it also challenges the law - which IMO is worthy of arrest, as the civilised live in a land of laws that apply to all equally, not excepting some - including those who play the Racism, Harvard or President card.

15. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Ok... police officers are people too. When they become police officers they dont get these personality & behaviors from the book. They bring their own personality and code of behavior to the table. So honestly calling all police officers idiots is like saying all teenagers are trouble makers or all seniors drive crazy...its stereotyping.

My father and cousin are police officers. My dad has stopped countless suicides & assaults among many other things. I watched him talk a man off the train tracks, and he was so good to the young man. I wish the officers that dealt with me...or any person who dealt with me was that good.

It all depends on what that police officer, that human being, brings to the table.

16. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

There are some very bad cops out there very mean abuses their power and authority and are ignorant to mental illness. I hope to god they get back what they did to my twin. They are there to protect not to inflict verbal and physical abuse on someone who just wanted help. Im sorry i truly beleive that i would never ask a cop to help me never never never not after what ive seen.

17. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm with "X" on this one. I think the blame lies with the professor, if only because he took it all too far. In the past he also displayed a history of inciting racial victimization (you can find some of his lectures on YouTube), which doesn't help his case.

However I admit it's difficult to asess given how it's become one's word versus the other.

18. just.me

just.me Account Closed

Well cops maybe are stupid
    but it is a fact that most criminals in USA are black
    and most of those black criminals are so called cheap criminals
    they only steal stuff and sell drugs

Now if i was a cop, and lived in another country
    and then received an invitation to work in USA
    after checking those statistics obviously ill be much more suspicious about black people then white
    not because i am racist, but because i am following statistics

Now im not saying those cops are right
    but you shouldn't interfere with heir jobs as they know much more they you do

19. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

Now tell me... Does all that "positive discrimination" stuff in USA apply only to AfroAmerican or also to EastEuroAmericans? Should I hurry to the green card lottery? :biggrin:

20. Mikeintx

Correct, he is a racist himself and immediately started harassing the cop outright... obama is also a racist. Also it is not one word versus another as there was quite a few witnesses at the scene. Either way this is rediculous...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.