The Riddle Thread

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by }{Feather Pen}{, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, boys and girls, it's now time for some riddles. Mind you, it's no fun if you look the answers up on the internet. Try and figure them out yourself with no outside help.

#1 You have a three gallon bucket and a five gallon bucket. How do you use both buckets to measure exactly four gallons. (Mind you that the buckets have no markings on them of any kind)(And anyone who has watched Die Hard 3 will probably know this.)

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

Fill the 5 gallon bucket and pour it into the 3 gallon one, leaving 2 gallons in the 5 gallon bucket. Empty the 3 gallon backet. Pour the 2 gallons into the 3G bucket. Fill the 5G bucket and top up the 3G one, leaving 4 gallons in the 5 gallon bucket. I think :laugh:

3. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

:goodone: well done Mal!!

4. Well done, indeed.

#2 A snail is at the bottom of a thirty foot dry well. In his attempt to get out, he climbs three feet a day, but at night, while he's sleeping, he slides down two feet. How many days in all would it take him to get out?

5. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

30 days?? :huh:

6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

That hurt my head.

7. Sorry, try again. :tongue:

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

28? :unsure:

9. philio

philio Well-Known Member

oooo.... its 28 days.... when he gets out he wont fall down again... me thinks anyway

btw xxx_cutter_xxx... your picture is adorbale:laugh: ... whatever the hell it is :tongue:

10. lol, good job.

Okay, this next one is a huge play on words, so they answer may not be what you expect.

#3 You're in a room with no windows or doors. It's a solid room. (Like, say, it was built around you.) There's nothing in there but you, a mirror, and a table. How do you escape?

11. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

I'll give it a try, but it's been a few years since I said this one right.

You look in the mirror, and see what you saw.

You use the saw to cut the table in half. You put the two halves together - two halves make a whole.

You shout down the hole till you make yourself hoarse.

You then jump down the hole, onto the horse and ride away.

12. Wow, you were more right than my answer was. I've only heard it, "You look in the mirror, see what you say, take the saw, cut the table in half, two halves make a whole, crawl through the hole."

VERY well done.

#4 A horse is tied to a ten foot length of rope. It's food is fifteen feet away, yet he can still reach it to eat. How is this possible?

13. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

the other end of the rope is not tied to anything

14. Good job. Well done.

#5 If the ten o' clock train is traveling East at a hundred miles an hour with the wind blowing West at twenty miles an hour. At this rate, what time will the train arrive at the station?

15. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

If it's a british train, it won't be on time, that's for sure :laugh:

16. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the ten o'clock train arrive at the station at ten o'clock, all going to plan? As your question does not specify the distance the train has to travel, it is, to my understanding, completely impossible to calculate the time the journey would take. The question is, in effect, illogical captain.

17. One who listens..

One who listens.. Well-Known Member

Agreeing with A.M on that one.

Considering we don't know distance to station, it would be safe to guess tat it will arrive at ten oclock.

18. It WOULD be ten o' clock, because it's the ten o' clock train. Sorry, I was trying to state that riddle from memory so I might not have included all the details I needed to.

#5 Who is more likely to be discriminated against: The Black Man, The Hispanic Man, or The White Man?

19. philio

philio Well-Known Member

Think I already heard this one....

You saw something in the mirror.

You take the saw and cut the table in half.

You combine the two halfs to make a whole.

Then you use the hole on the wall and climb out.

20. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I have one!

You are on a shore with a rowboat and a cabbage, a sheep and a wolf. You need to get all three to the other side and the boat will only hold you and one other item. If you take the cabbage across first, the wolf will eat the sheep, and if you take the wolf across first the sheep will eat the cabbage. You could take the sheep across first, leaving the wolf with the cabbage, but if you take the wolf next, he will eat the sheep while you are on your way back to get the cabbage, and if you take the cabbage next the sheep will eat it while you are on your way back to get the wolf. How do you get all three across intact?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.