The road to ECT

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by catecholamine, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I attempted, again, and nearly succeeded, again. It involved pills, but of a certain prescription that are actually lethal when taken in excess because it builds up in your blood and upsets the balance of your sodium and electrolytes, among other things. I rented a hotel room, took a bunch of them along with some stuff to help with vomiting (to keep me from it). Then I threw up a lot, despite the meds. Next thing I know, the police were knocking at my hotel door because my case manager called them and they'd been searching the whole town for me.
    I was in the hospital several days. Then I was sent to a large, university mental hospital. The doctor suggested I have Electro-Convulsive Therapy (aka shock therapy). So I have been. I did several times inpatient and I go tomorrow morning for it again.
    I can't remember shit. Wish I was dead.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hun i hope ECT helps you hun the memory loss it happens but it can be just temporary I do hope you start feeling better soon h un hugs
  3. Goofy17

Goofy17 Member

I have a psych advance directive and have in there that I never recieve ECT they can never perform ECT on me not even in court order because i was sane when I wrote it.! check it out when you are out of the hospital and not on any court orders.
  4. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing and I agree.

people are too willing to support barbaric practices just because 'a doctor said so'

they dont really know much about peoples emotional situation

im sorry you had to deal with this OP
  5. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

It wasn't a court order. I did it because they suggested it. Right now I'm in a bad spot. Got a cold, in a lot of pain due to my teeth and needing, at minimum, 3 root canals. I want out :( Haven't seen a therapist in like 2 months and my case manager in 2 weeks. Feeling pretty lonely. All my friends are having babies and here I am, pathetic. My brother's wife had a baby not long ago. My cousin had a baby last week. My childhood friend is having a baby in 6 weeks. One of my best friends just had a baby at 2pm yesterday.

There's no reason to keep living.
  6. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

ECT is not a barbaric practice any more. You are put under anesthesia, with a paralytic and the amount of electricity used is miniscule. I have ECT and I know how it is done. Yes, there can be some memory loss. Mine is minimal and I usually can recall once reminded. It disturbs me when people are so down on ECT who have not had it done. ECT helps 80% of the people who have it while any one antidepressant is effective on about 33% of the people who try it. ECT is an effective, humane treatment. It is not as it is portrayed in old movies.
  7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Anneinside is right hun ECT is not barbaric is has helped many to get out of that depression they are in and it is not painful and not invasive either I hope it helped you hun
  8. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard ECT is not a barbaric or bad place, and Total Eclipse is right they do help many people get out of depression that they're in. It's not painful or invasive either I've had a few friends who've been there and done that. I hope you get help; remember were here for you :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.