the royal wedding

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by hollowvoice, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

ok im bored so i thought id start a thread;

how do you feel about the royal wedding ?

.... do you care?

..some want the right to protest against it,is that right?

...will you watch it?

...some people have suggested its racist to be proud of the english flag

any opinion matters
  2. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Great Fun that will bring billions of pounds to Britain

Its a huge event and as such you should care

yes as long as they dont disrupt it and spoil the pleasure of billions of people around the world

Rubish, England is part of GB but your still English
  3. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

I think the royal wedding is a good thing.
    The Windsors have responded well to breeding in captivity and as such they should be rewarded.

The royals are a species in decline,they have all but disappeared the wild.
    But on the up side,they cost less to keep than a Panda....apart from Prince Phillip who should have been put to sleep years ago. :)
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I don't know i think it is great to see how the pPince is much like his mother caring and down to earth. I probably won't watch it but see reruns maybe i don't see any harm in it at all
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

As long as it's not on the public's dime, more power to them.

Not so much.

Democracy guarantees the right to free speech, even if it throws off some rich people.

6. burnseasonxD

burnseasonxD Member

I don't really care, but it would be fun, yes. You should be allowed to protest against it and, as far as I know, you can - if it isn't in certain areas. I might flick over to it if I watch TV. Pfft. How can it be racist to be proud? No, that's rubbish.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, you can be proud of hating Jews or proud of the Nazi flag... That's pretty racist by being proud.

I hope I didn't come off as a dick here. I'm just saying, pride can be racist - but England, being the number one intaker (er... you know what I mean) of immigrants in the world (IIRC), doesn't exactly scream "racism".
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
  8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Nothing wrong with the wedding. I'll be watching, have it marked on my calendar. A good distraction from the hellish wars and unfair politics.
  9. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

i wouldnt cross the street to see it. in person.
  10. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

i probly wont bother watching it. but I guess I wont have much choice, it'll be the only fucking thing on TV for like 3 days...(you know tv programs, they want to flog the living shit out of any story that comes by).
  11. the_only_one

the_only_one Well-Known Member

hey guys,
    im american and im just curious why the queens and such are such huge deals. they dont have any power, and this isnt supposed to offensive just curious. are they just someone to look up to?
  12. nolonger

they used to be in power, before church and state separated.

its really just an ego thing. Imagine having the title of King <insert your name> or Queen, etc etc. Royalty is usually associated with wealth, and wealth is generally 'power', therefor you are powerful. But these days the monarchy is just like any other brit out there. Only the King/Queen has ties to commonwealth countries through their constitutions(ie. australia).

it'd be a pain in the arse to be royalty, you'd be getting harrassed all the time. have to act a certain way...fuck that, lmao. its kinda like politics, when something bad happens somewhere, you have to go tour it and 'talk to the people'. it might be my anxiety speaking but having to go out and talk to random people about crap i probly dont even care about would be repulsive. kinda like wen Julia Gillard(the Aus pm) went and toured some of japan because of the tsunamis etc. she looked like such a dick from my point of view. politicians are just like preachers, they're all actors :p
  13. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

lol are you sure you live in england? Hollowvoice is right, we are seen as being racist by being proud of our national flag because it is deemed to be offensive to ethnic minorities. Its the same as the school play/panto at christmas, a hell of a lot of schools banned it because it was deemed as offensive to muslim children.

Someone in a post on here said something about protesters? Yeah their is going to be a protest but they will all get arrested because on the day of the wedding, unless they have gotten permission of the police then its a criminal offence of some kind. But their is going to be a huge riot though because their is a planned march by Muslims Against the Crusades and also the English Defence league will also be in attendance, and anyone who lives in the UK know by know that those 2 groups always love a good tear up.

As for the original point, i unfortunately wont need to watch it on TV, i live in london. Their are 400,000 people to see this crap for some unknown reason. I mean the royal family are as much use as syphillis. For everyone in the UK who thinks this is a good idea just remember one thing, we are paying for this wedding. When people are struggling to afford the exorbitant fee of £1.37 a litre for petrol is this something we really need?
  14. nolonger

but didnt you hear? they apparently are doing a budget version of a royal wedding for a mere 50 000 000 dollars :)

15. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Queen Liz herself couldn't pay me enough to give so much as the tiniest of shits about the royal wedding.

As far as the protesters, I don't see any problem with it as long as they're not disruptive. I do think it's pretty funny that that's how they've decided to waste a perfectly good afternoon, but hey, whatever.
  16. Seems_Perfect

Seems_Perfect Well-Known Member

I've never been to England but I have worked alongside Brits in varying capacities in the U.S. and abroad. Personally, and speaking as an American, I think the royal family is pretty cool from a historical standpoint (Example: How Church of England came to exist). Besides, their very presence generates a significant amount of revenue annually and a BBC report estimated cost per taxpayer at just 61p. Here in the U.S. I am confident we spend more than that on the egregious pork that gets inserted into otherwise decent legislation time and time and time again. At least the Brits are getting a very pretty new

EDIT: One thing is certain, the royal aspect certainly has not dampened the military fighting spirit of their military - those guys have proven themselves to be VERY brave and for that I love the Brits.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
  17. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

couldn't give a **** about the wedding..
    watched Dianas' and look what was happening there behind the scenes
    turned me right off the royals.
  18. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Don't really care for the royal wedding myself but I won't ruin it for those who do want to celebrate. Personally, I just don't see why the world has to stop for the wedding but there ya go, I'm just a grumpy little sod :tongue:
  19. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

My mother in law would not let me watch Charles and Diana get married so I'm definitely going to watch this one. It's exciting because this is not make believe. I think a break from the excessive difficulties being experienced throughout the world is in order.
  20. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the wedding. Prince William and Harry are lovely boys and their mother would be so proud of the way they have undertaken the work especially the charity work they they do here and abroad.

The money coming into the Uk from this event is astronomical. It will be wonderful to see so many people out in London celebrating and we have a day off for it - something to be happy about for a change and I dont begrude William and Katherine their special day.

God bless them both.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.