The samaritans

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Kaos General, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Ok im tired of people going on and on about how shit the samaritans are. Ya know what people are entitled to their opinions but remember one thing, the samritans are a group of volunteers. They are not a crisis team, they do not paid for what they do. I happen to answer emails for them and know first hand exactly what kind of training they go through so please dont assume they are not trained. They are their to listen and offer helpful advice, not to stop you from doing whatever, thats not their job. Thats the crisis teams job.

2. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Damn, all day you have to listen to people in the most terrible pain and sadness.
    You do it for free.
    Then you come on a website and hear people slagging off volunteers who give their time, soul and caring for nothing other than to help people and save lives.
    That would piss me off too Wayne.

3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I know and it really really bugs the hell out of me. I mean people are assuming the samaritans are the crisis team when its not the case. If someone wants to be talked out of suicide and wants help the by all means call the crisis team

4. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

There is nothing I value more than having the samaritans there at the other end of phone or email when I need them. Having said that, I have had experiences (only via email) with people who engage and ask the right questions, and those who make you feel unheard. For sure it's an extremely tough job, I used to do something similar in my country of origin. And it doesn't deserve people's disrespect, and if the training program is anything like I went through, then there's no way those people are untrained. Some may not handle it as well as others, but at the end of the day, if you don't get what you need from them, get it somewhere else. And I hope people do recognise that they are volunteers, and if we didn't have them, we wouldn't have a service to slag off (joke) in the first place. :)

5. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

i am greatful for your guy's help, but you are right; we are entitle to your opinions. I appriciate the time and training you put in, but sometimes it feels like we are talking to a robot. its kind that you have the hearts to help us in your free time, and i must thank you and the rest of the samaritans

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i've emailed samaritans and had a great response. i thank you for your volunteer hours! maybe you even answered me. it was a long time ago. i emialed the "jo" email account.

7. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Fair play to you wayne for doing this of yoru own will.

The samaritains in Ireland, by my experience, are pretty bad. Got turned away in person, twice, got in and she didnt do anything, suggest nothing, and sent me away when i had stated i was going to end everything.
    and on the phone I just got silence.

But again, thats just my experiences. its not a generalisation.
    I still think your great for doing what you do

8. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

As someone who's been on both sides of the samaritan fence, as a caller and listener - people have to realise samaritans is NOT strictly an advice line. It is a listening line, the idea being that with the right words - you'll be able to find your own way and work it out for yourself. That is also why Samaritans is NOT pro-life - it is pro-self-determination. The advice only comes ultimately from the dialogue between caller and listener.

I really don't understand why people slag them off, it's a completely voluntary organisation that never blows its own trumpet and who many members would never tell you they worked for.

9. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

Wayne... You Rock... to be as caring and unselfish to give of your time and support those in their darkest hours.

I have emailed and rung Samaritans before and they got me through some of my darkest moments. the one time I was phoning as a last bid to leaving and the guy just let me talk, even when crying he just patiently waited and listened non judgementally until the panic subsided and I decided to end call.

People like you and other volunteers are our unsung heroes, thank you for all you are and all you do...

Hugs
    Ditsy x

10. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

for me ive spoke with ,emailed and visited the samaritans the calls and emails were good for me but the visit just wasnt my way of doing things plus i got flea bites from her dog lol

but your right people are expecting too much from someone whos aim is to listen in the hope it helps

its kinda like on here the last few days nice people trying to help others and getting told f*** off
    its a support group just like the samaritans

11. herenow

herenow Well-Known Member

For me they are really helpful...helped me out of some suicidal feelings a few times. Tbh honest they are better than the phone-in suicide lines in my area from other organizations. Like the ones in my area once criticized me for living at home etc, it was just odd (not the samaritains). I used to think I wanted to volunteer for them, but I think in my condition it's probably not the best thing to do...

12. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Just want to say, I wasnt slagging them, I was only stating my experiences with them and how it did nothing to help me, and they just sent me off.
    I am aware they dont give you teh answers, but i still think it was useless for my needs at the time

13. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

i actually started another thread a while ago about the samaritans, and i have nothing but gratitude that they are there...i would rather phone the samaritans than crisis line (partly because i dont want to end up back in hospital) and apart from once, i have spoken to people with the utmost compassion. no, they dont talk you out of anything, but they listen and make the appropriate soothing sounds without being patronising and sounding fed up as if they have heard the same story 10 times that night. i have opened up more to samaritans than my psych and never felt uncomfortable, and they have rang me back when they said they would (more than my community mental health worker has done) so i will always support the samaritans..maybe others just expect too much or dont understand their role. pass on my thanks to them Angerfist...brilliant job they do :hug:

14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I've had good and bad experiences with the samaritans but overall I applaud their work and what they do. Great post Wayne.