The scars are almost gone

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by undercoverlover, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

But it's hard to keep myself from wanting to cut myself. I also have a friend who makes fun of people who use other methods of self harm besides cutting. I do other methods along with cutting (I hit myself). It really hurts my feelings...makes me want to self harm even more. What's something I can do to avoid it?

2. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I would have to say something to my friend. Does s/he know that you self-harm? It seems so insensitive to me to make fun of such things, even if you don't know whether someone does it or not.

I'm not sure how you can avoid it, although the distraction techniques in one of the sticky threads in this forum are pretty good, so I'd try those. Remind yourself that you don't want to add to those scars.

Mim

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

The way I started to reduce my SH was by giving my feelings a voice and expressing what was going on for me...in this way, I felt like I existed...J

4. Oloriel

Oloriel Well-Known Member

My scars are fading too, and it scares me, like the cutting was a part of me and if I go too long without doing it, I'm losing who I am. I can't even say that it's because I stopped cutting - I have been doing it less often, but I just moved from my wrists to my ankles in the hopes that people won't notice those. My wrist scars are almost gone, and I don't know why, but it terrifies me.

I hit myself too, or rather I slam my head on hard surfaces, and I also choke myself. I guess I just wanted to let you know that I know how you are feeling. It's hard to stop cutting - I've never really successfully done it.

My favorite method for avoiding cutting is to write on myself. Some people write encouraging things or little drawings. It helps me sometimes. Maybe you could try that. Anyway, I am here to talk if you want. I almost didn't post this - I don't really feel like anyone wants to hear from me. But if I can show just a little support for someone who needs it, I guess that's something, right?

5. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Of course it is, it's a big something. Never feel that we don't want to hear from you, your contributions are valuable. It's good to hear that writing on yourself helps you, I've thought about trying it, but it seemed a bit silly to me. Because I have frequent dermatology appointments, I've not been able to cut for months, and never know what to do when the urge is overwhelming, so I think I'll try this. Thank you.

Mim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.