The Secret (book and movie)

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by lifeisashedog, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I keep bumping into this thing..what the hell is it..fact or fiction?:unsure:

3. ItThing

ItThing Well-Known Member

Whose opinion are you asking? Because everyone seems to believe it by I could ramble for hours on why it's complete bullshit.

4. lifeisashedog

http://www.thescreed.info/

We are not alone, comrade. :thumbup:

5. ItThing

This is a very important issue that more than anyone else the members of this forum will want to talk about. I for one believe the 'Secret' phenomena may lead to much waste and pain on this site, and feel obliged to speak out against it, unless anyone strongly objects? Also I looove debates of this kind, if anyone feels the opposite, bring it on! :fence: :wootrock:

6. lifeisashedog

There has appeared in our time a particular class of books and articles which I sincerely and solemnly think may be called the silliest ever known among men. They are much more wild than the wildest romances of chivalry and much more dull than the dullest religious tract. Moreover, the romances of chivalry were at least about chivalry; the religious tracts are about religion. But these things are about nothing; they are about what is called Success. On every bookstall, in every magazine, you may find works telling people how to succeed. They are books showing men how to succeed in everything; they are written by men who cannot even succeed in writing books. To begin with, of course, there is no such thing as Success. Or, if you like to put it so, there is nothing that is not successful. That a thing is successful merely means that it is; a millionaire is successful in being a millionaire and a donkey in being a donkey. Any live man has succeeded in living; any dead man may have succeeded in committing suicide. But, passing over the bad logic and bad philosophy in the phrase, we may take it, as these writers do, in the ordinary sense of success in obtaining money or worldly position. These writers profess to tell the ordinary man how he may succeed in his trade or speculation--how, if he is a builder, he may succeed as a builder; how, if he is a stockbroker, he may succeed as a stockbroker. They profess to show him how, if he is a grocer, he may become a sporting yachtsman; how, if he is a tenth-rate journalist, he may become a peer; and how, if he is a German Jew, he may become an Anglo-Saxon. This is a definite and business-like proposal, and I really think that the people who buy these books (if any people do buy them) have a moral, if not a legal, right to ask for their money back. Nobody would dare to publish a book about electricity which literally told one nothing about electricity; no one would dare publish an article on botany which showed that the writer did not know which end of a plant grew in the earth. Yet our modern world is full of books about Success and successful people which literally contain no kind of idea, and scarcely and kind of verbal sense. It is perfectly obvious that in any decent occupation (such as bricklaying or writing books) there are only two ways (in any special sense) of succeeding. One is by doing very good work, the other is by cheating. Both are much too simple to require any literary explanation. If you are in for the high jump, either jump higher than any one else, or manage somehow to pretend that you have done so. If you want to succeed at whist, either be a good whist-player, or play with marked cards. You may want a book about jumping; you may want a book about whist; you may want a book about cheating at whist. But you cannot want a book about Success. Especially you cannot want a book about Success such as those which you can now find scattered by the hundred about the book-market.

(Gilbert Keith Chesterton, The Fallacy of Success, 1909)

7. lifeisashedog

You shoot, I pass the ammo! :patriot:

8. ItThing

Okay. So there's this woman Rhoda Byrne, and she wrote a book claiming to have the key to acheiving... well anything you want basically. The book 'The Secret' talks about a law called 'the law of attraction' which is repetitively explained as the law that says 'like attracts like'. The aspect of this law that the book deals with is how your thoughts and feelings attract that which you think/feel about. Example, if you think your life sucks - it sucks, and if you think your life is great - it's great. Byrne claims that all the great people in history knew about it (einstein, lincoln, shakespeare (only western history cause she white)). She read it in a book that she does not name and that no one else seems to have read. So basically, if you concentrate on a successful and peaceful life, your wishes come true. All our lives suck because we think about it that way. There is very little else I know about this secret business. All I can say is:
    If we want something it will come true? Nope, not every prisoner can escape from jail even if they want to.
    If we believe something will it come true? Nope, anorexic people see themselves as fat all the while dying of starvation.
    If you think about something it will come true? If this were true I would have lost my virginity many years ago.
    You are not trying hard enough? Well who can measure that? People go CRAZY beleiving inherently false things, wanting impossible things, thinking about pointless stuff. Besides the point of the secret is it works for everyone, the only requirement is belief.
    I have a few stumpers for ye god fearers:
    Neitzche said a stroll through an insane asylum shows belief proves nothing.
    I say, we all come into this world with QUESTIONS... How did you CHOSE your answers?
    Whatever, this is just too stupid... I could keep going but I have no idea why one would believe this, if you do, we can talk then...

9. lifeisashedog

I read some of those success books (when I was 16). When you read them they indeed give you that sweet I-can-do-everything rush... until next morning when you try to put the ideas into reality and experience a painful success hangover. I luckily didn't take them too seriously but some folks get really addicted and have full shelves of them. I think there should be special rehab groups for such (like SuccessBookReaders Anonymous). And their writers should be persecuted like drug dealers :police:

10. ItThing

Follow that thought and you get to 'ban forums, they're addictive and harmful'. Success books don't kill you, leave them be; I just wish everyone had the same definition/standard of 'sense' so the stupidity of the success ideas would not have to be debated.

awwwesome quote:
    Faith is man's way of keeping the facts from getting in the way of the truth.

11. lifeisashedog

one more quote:

There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce.
    (Mark Twain)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.