The SF AA Thread

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Terry, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Someone mentioned AA can be funny about anyone using their name..so disclaimer :

This thread has no connection with Alcoholics Anonymous and is just a support for members of this site.

Could all members without an alcohol problem please not post in this thread as it's basically going to be an AA meeting.
    Thanks and :hug:

To kick off the proceedings I found this site :

http://www.drugfree.org/Intervention/WhereStart/You_Are_Not_Alone

Remember you are not alone.
    Here you can be honest even if that means you are drinking..everyone will understand :hug:

Here's to a dry week :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

here here! :smile:

3. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

I guess I will start. My name is E, and I am an addict. My 'drugs of choice' are alcohol and crystal meth. I have been completely sober now for two weeks.
    I mix crystal meth and alcohol to level out the high. It turns me into a psychotic monster.
    I feel like shit and I want to drink because I hate my job.

4. babygaara92

babygaara92 Member

I am Maya. I'm fifteen and i'm addicted to being high. seriusly.. anything that will get me high. I promised my boyfriend i wouldn't do it and i tried my best but when all else lets me down its something i can count on to help me not feel suicidal. nothing else is as reliable. people could hurt me and then when i'm in a crisis i can't talk to them, games can bore me, sometimes i can draw, but no matter the situation i can always smoke some weed, take some tabs or eat some caps... if i had nothing else and i was really really depressed, i'd snort coke no matter how much i said i wouldnt. (thats from experience.)

5. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

It's been a while since i've turned to my old friends Johnny, Jack or Jamison. I mean, I love 'em, I do. I miss them too. Shit nothing feels more real then when you're drunk. Nothing. Everything is important, everything matters.

It is insipid to write this shit. I'm sorry for wasting time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  6. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

You aren't wasting time by writing this, it isn't boring either.You are being honest with yourself and with a group of your peers about your addiction. Don't be sorry.

Hey Maya! It's nice to meet you. Do you think that feeling let down is a trigger for your using or is it just the coping mechanism for your suicidal tendencies?
    Do you feel that part of you wants to stop, or do you only want to stop because your boyfriend doesn't want you to?

7. sandalwood

sandalwood Well-Known Member

hey everyone, i believe i may have a problem with drinking. i cannot remember the last day i didn't drink. i think the main reason is it lessens my suicidal feelings. i am also dependent upon it to interact with people comfortably most of the time and am frequently drunk at work on long shifts to help me get by. consequently i'm worried i will lose my job which i absolutely cannot afford to do. i need to get out of this rut. hoping this thread will help me figure things out, and i intend to try my best go sober starting today with the rest of you who decided to. :smile:

8. Terry

Well my house has no booze and tho I can still take it or leave it..not having it in the house seems to cause anxiety :blink:
    Am planning to keep as busy as possible, drink lots of green tea and just ignore the little voice in the back of my head.

Anyone else have a part of their brain plotting a shopping trip?

9. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I guess it's luck that I'm completely destitute as I can't buy any wine. I am now 15 days sober and feeling very good about it. I am staying sober partly due to Fear! I am so afraid that if I relapse I may not be able to get back to sobriety. And I'm terrified to end up the way I used to be: drunk or hungover and a misery to myself and my kids.:sad:

One suggestion to those trying to get and stay clean and sober: depending on your use frequency and amount, it may be wise to consult a doctor to detox safely. Suddenly stopping alcohol and/or drug use can be very dangerous. Please be safe when getting clean and sober.

For those having a hard time dealing with withdrawal symptoms, it helps to drink LOTS of water and fruit juice. Also taking B vitamins can help as alcohol depletes B vitamins. The various herbs and supplements, such as chamomile, valerian, and others can help with the anxiety that comes with withdrawal. I also took Evening Primrose Oil (in gel caps) to help soothe the withdrawal and it helped me a lot.

Please be safe when detoxing. It helps to have a trusted friend or family member with you for the first few days in case you need emergency medical treatment. And for those of us who have/had a real hard time stopping alcohol and/or drug use, inpatient treatment centers can be a good solution.

The key to getting and staying clean and sober is wanting to be clean and sober MORE than wanting to drink and use.

My best wishes to anyone trying to break free of the demons of drug and alcohol use. If I can do it, so can you!!:smile:

:hug:

10. silo

silo Well-Known Member

i finished off all of the hard alcohol last night, but there are still about 10 beers in the fridge. i'm going to see if my brother and sister will take them off my hands. i'm just going to try to stay as busy as possible, but i'm really starting to panic. my heart is racing like mad! this is the one time where i'm resenting the availability of alcohol in las vegas. :sad:

11. sandalwood

been a difficult first day for me. my mood has been all over the place and work was really difficult without my usual 2 glasses of wine prior. i made it though. and now that the stores have closed i'm in no danger of caving. brrn drinking a lot of tea and i've got my nytol capsule ready to take so sleep is easier. well done everyone. we can do it!

12. Terry

Well done all :biggrin: I managed to not go shopping (pats self on back)
    Well done Sandalwood work can be a big reason to drink and HOLY SHIT Silo that's willpower when u have booze in the fridge :eek:hmy:

13. silo

silo Well-Known Member

thank you terry, but will power seems to have failed embarrassingly soon.:sad:
    today was a very bad day
    i don't want to sound like i'm making excuses though, so i'll leave it at that.
    goodluck to the rest of you, i'm crossing my fingers for everyone :smile:

14. sandalwood

don't worry silo. now you have rid yourself of it surely you can give it another go? i think if i hadn't managed to get rid of everything i would have been in exactly the same situation.

15. Terry

Silo hun :hug: that sounded like you were leaving the thread :sad:

TBH if no one reports a slip up I'd begin to think whats the point of the thread.
    As I put at the beginning this is about being honest, people have an addiction; you don't get over that in a second and I'm sure we all know there will be set backs, binges and shame being posted by at least half of those posting.
    Am hoping the beers have gone and today is a fresh start..but remember NO ONE is expecting you to do it all in one day :hug:

ps: I nearly nicked my sons' cider it was sort of sitting there singing at me :blink:

16. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Today is my 16th day sober!! I consider it nothing short of a miracle I have been able to stay sober so long. But I feel very confident I can continue my sobriety.

17. Terry

:wootrock: Well done Least :biggrin: :hug:

18. GrimJim

GrimJim Guest

Well done to all of you!

silo, that includes you! Don't get discouraged by a slip. As Terry says, slips happen. We've all had them, with the best of intentions. Being honest with yourself is a key thing here- and by posting publicly that you slipped means that you still want to stop! Otherwise, why post anything, or why not pretend that you're still sober. So you're doing the right thing by staying here.

This isn't a competition to see who stays sober longest. I know full well, that 2 years 9 months into sobriety, I could fall again tomorrow. When I take my son to lifesaving practice tonight... there's a bar in the clubhouse. Instead of driving home and then coming back later to fetch him, why not spend an hour watching the bigscreen over a few beers? It's crossed my mind, believe me.

But I know, believe me I KNOW, that although life's not exactly a bowl of cherries right now, if I start drinking again, It'll only get worse.

19. sarahg

sarahg Well-Known Member

well done all.Im on 3rd week of a home detox thro dr and psychiatric help. 1 slip up myself. 1st week was hell and drank so my tea i swear i cried milk and 2 sugars lol.The team that work with me are sending me lots of websites which i will post so hope it may help u all too.
    Be strong all and ty for this thread
    xxx

20. sandalwood

congrats everyone. today was really much harder for me, but i made it. i've been having stomach cramps and terrible headaches all day. took some painkillers and it seems to have calmed down somewhat. stores are clsoed again so i'm okay for now. hoping not to suffer any more tomorrow. i'm a little worried it may be making me ill....

oh, and stay strong terry! i hope your son has rid the temptation :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.