The "Stand Your Ground" Law

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Lovecraft, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

So Florida has a law that more or less says assault and battery is perfectly fine when committed in defence. (Many places have a legal allowance for self-defence, particularly if one can reasonably assume their life is in danger.) The Florida law, unlike many places, however has been successfully used to get a boy off of 2nd degree murder charges after stabbing a bully 12 times in retaliation for a punch.

I'm particularly interested to see what the response to that is on this forum - one on which many people have been subject to fairly strong bullying.

Do you think that it's ever justified to stab someone in retaliation for a punch? (Even when no intention to kill exists?) Do you think that a kid that stabs someone 12 times - even if in retaliation for a long-time bully picking on him - should be let off entirely?

Personally I think that the kid shouldn't be held accountable for a murder but definitely needs to have a psychological evaluation and receive therapy if he's willing to stab someone *12 times*. If just brandished the knife or maybe even if he gave one stab it could be called defence but 12 times is a reckless, angry rampage.

2. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

my opinion is pretty much the same as the end of your post, also I dont really subscribe to the whole 'criminals are evil' and 'the law is god' type ideology that many people who like harsh punishment do. many people would be screaming for this kid to rot in jail for 20 years if he were 18 years old. the majority of crimes, even murder (except for really sick serial murder) can be committed by the majority of people in 'fringe' situations (when they get pushed way too far). people, especially conservatives, dont like to believe that and have this BS where they're immune to that and a 'better person'. also given the way that 'mental health' treatment is practiced this kid would probably just end up in juvy, but clearly he has some problems.

rehabilitation and a reasonable prison/removal environment that is geared towards separation rather than punishment is ideal and more effective for most criminals if done right, adult or kid. cons scream how this is being some kind of 'liberal pussy' because criminals are again supposedly 'evil scum' and compassion towards anyone but their little clique is strongly frowned upon. the current system promotes re-offense because it turns smaller offenders into monsters via a really quite terrible atmosphere. adults ultimately should be held responsible for their actions in a 'practical' sense, but in an 'actual' sense theyre not that psychologically different than children on a fundamental level, the mental change from kid ---> adult is more progressive and 'evolving' than actually being completely 'different'. the majority of adults, like kids, are subject to environmental forces which shape their thoughts and actions. they may have more resistance to certain ones but its the same thing.

ultimately the prison and punishment system as it stands is for the comfort of OTHERS, not for any practical purpose really...excessive punishment on the order of 30 years in prison is no better than murdering someone in principle...even if the 'do the crime do the time' idiots squawk otherwise

a little off topic but my thoughts on the matter i guess

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Post the facts of the case darling. We don't know anything about said child with regard to history or state of mind to adequately judge the situation much less make a generalized statement based on a single circumstance we know little about. Need more info.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

You might be interested in this one, Lovecraft, maybe. Although not related to "stand your ground," these kids in this Florida crime are being charged.

updated 2 hours 29 minutes ago
    Print Font:

OCALA, Fla. — A judge has placed seven central Fla. teens on home detention after they were charged with punching and kicking a 13-year-old girl until she was unconscious.

During Saturday's hearing, State Attorney John Zaleskie asked the judge to detain the youths until arraignment because of "extreme violence" and injuries suffered by the victim. The teens had no prior arrests.

The Ocala Star Banner (http://lb.vg/9Xy4k ) reports the teens were appointed public defenders and cannot have contact with each other or the victim while on home detention. Their parents declined comment.

The youths were charged with battery and disorderly conduct Friday after allegedly forming a circle around another girl on the school bus and hitting and kicking her repeatedly. The victim told deputies it was her first day riding the bus and no one would let her sit down. She suffered a concussion.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45910897/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TwoMdtTwvX5

5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with it. If someone punches me, I'm making a fight out of it. You treat a fight as life or death. If you've got a weapon and you die because you didn't use it, then you deserve to be removed from the gene pool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.