The state of the world saddens me

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by SAVE_ME, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Just been sat at home watching the news. They air one story about anti-racism. "Oh, we've got to stop racism! Brothers! Sisters! Come together!"...and then the next story? About...wait for it...war. Does anyone else here get as depressed as I do seeing how messed up the world is? Sometimes, I think World War 3 is just around the corner. It's only a matter of time. And then we'll be forced to fight their pointless war or get thrown in jail for being a "coward". To quote Light Yagami from 'Death Note': "This world is...rotten!"
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

The world has always been like this. Think back to ancient Egypt and/or Rome. The state of the world is something we probably, as individuals, never can change and indeed there will be more global bad times ahead that we cannot avoid. What I like to do in light of all this, though, is to try to do my own part in my own small part of the world (my community where I live) to change, enhance, help, contribute, and mold for the better. I try to focus on a smaller zone, where my input can make a difference. If we all try doing this, then just like a puzzle... good things will come together for a larger whole. Volunteer, help worthwhile fund raisers, take part in community planning and town meetings, support local politics where there exists policies that are good, be kind to our friends and neighbors, and hope that all the small things total up to equal something big and positively astounding.
  3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi, I do agree with pickwithaustin. I think it is very important to focus on what is good. There is a theory that what we focus on we create more of in our lives. I agree with it. things right now are very out of balance. AND there is more balance. Both are happening. I was very scared in Nov. About the upcoming election. My kid ( who I used to teach :D told me that if I focused on the fear that was going to add to the well of fear. But if I wanted to send light and positive thoughts it would actually do some good. Damn, i knew she was right !! So that is what I did.

The woman in my community who was considered the mother of the peace movement used to always be working to correct imbalances. I asked her how she could do this work and still stay positve. She said she would not be able to do the work otherwise.

So be the light and balance you want to see in the world. This will add droplets in the well of the collective consciousness, if you know what i mean. Violunteer if you want, at a place doing positive work. I do not recommend becoming part of a community that fights for something. But thats my own personal opinion.

I have always been very progressive politically. Much more than most people. But I try my hardest to have hope. And to not fight the good fight which I consder to be an oxymoron. Work for positive programs that help. If you are able to. And by all means make sure that positive people are in the program. Because I do believe this is how we are going to evolve to the love and acceptance that you so rightfully long for !! btw, I do think things will get better. eventually
  4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Oh, now here's a thread I can get behind! I hate the world. I hate human beings. I hate what they are capable of.

The government seems to run a "protect the rich, attack the poor" policy. The justice system is flawed. Animals are not only killed for food, they are beaten and frightened and tortured - and there are some who actully find that funny or entertaining. UK MP's use tax money to literally fund their second homes whilst people live on the streets or struggle to afford food and rent - yet still they think their actions are justified. Footballers get paid more than firefighters, and the people who go out on the life boats are all unpaid volunteers. The government is forever talking about immigration measures that are in place, so how is it that wanted criminals are managing to get into the country and continue their crimes? Bullies get away with their nastiness, rapists and thieves get away with their crimes. There are people who choose to live on benefits - who spend that money on alcohol and such, people who don't even try to get jobs, whilst others who have been injured in war struggle to claim benefits, and sick people get their benefits cut. Young people - the chav generation - vandalise monuments, christianity is being stamped out of schools so others aren't offended, whilst religious extremists stand outside the funerals of gay people with signs that say homosexuals are going to Hell. Other religions, or at least the extremist fractions, believe it's OK to stone a woman to death for being raped. There are Christians who believe it's OK to kill non-believers, gay people - people who are sinners in their eyes. There are people who honestly don't give a crap about their own children and beat them until they die. There are people who attack the elderly in their own homes.

It's hard to look on the brighter side when it's so dark. I don't think my faith in humanity will ever be restored. I hate this world. Humans have destroyed it with their cruelty, and the people in power have destroyed it with their selfishness.
  5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Again. When I hear that people are upset with the state of the world, I question what each of us are doing individually to help bring about or to inspire change for the good. As long as everyone sits back and allows the "bad" to run in control, things will never change. We must each do our part to bring in some goodness... and maybe then we will drown out the bad?
  6. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I agree with you in the sense that we can all do something about what we do not like in this world. It begins with us. We have a choice to be a living example to those around us. Make a stand for righteousness. It's worth it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.