The suffering of others

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by swtwcmhm, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swtwcmhm

swtwcmhm New Member

I've had my struggles in life. I've been depressed since being a teenager, but it's never caused me to attempt self harm. As daunting as what I'm up against seems, I've realized as I've grown older there are a lot of people worse off than me who I would not want to trade places with. This is not comforting to me. In fact, really being aware of the suffering in my city and throughout the world, is what is driving me to despair.

I'm isolated right now and don't even really know anyone who is suffering badly. There is too much misery in the world, and I don't want to be part of it anymore for that reason.

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Maybe you could try to ease the misery and suffering of others. Maybe you could volunteer to help at like homeless shelters, or abroad building villages or water systems, or anything like that.

Maybe it might give you a purpose, and also allow you to know you are doing your bit to help those in need. It would be a way to turn your negative depair into positive energy and proactive help.

3. Diseased88

Diseased88 Active Member

agreed^ noone ever got better by people feeling sorry for them. It's good you still have a heart for those struggling in life. Believe it or not thats a very rare quality. I for one am a pretty heartless person. It's good to know that people like you are out there thow, so i would suggest volunteering for your local EMS squad or at a homeless shelter. *warning though, you WILL see some depressing stuff there though, but if you really want to do something, you will have to expose yourself to some rough stuff*

I recommend the book "Out of the Comfort Zone" by Ray Comfort. Its about this guy who moves all the way from NZ to LA to reach out *yes religious* to the needy, very touching but gives you a good insight on how badly these people need help.

Good luck

4. swtwcmhm

swtwcmhm New Member

Well thanks, but I'm limited in what I can do for people in real life because of my neurological condition, but I do have a job that in a way helps provide care for other people, not directly though.

It's sad but to keep on living you kind of need to desensitize yourself to pain you know others are going through each day.

5. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

I understand what you're saying, swtwcmhm :)blink: ). I try and try to help, but sometimes I just stop and feel so overwhelmed by all the suffering all around, in my family, friends on the internet, and so many people I don't know personally and it's just like there's nothing I can do, nothing that will be enough. Losing faith in the world, God and humanity. And it may be corny but I don't care, I like this story:

A woman was walking along a beach filled with starfish.

As she walked, she would stoop down, pick one up at random, and throw it back into the ocean. A man came upon her and asked why she was bothering with throwing some back when there were so many - how could it possibly make a difference?

She picked up another starfish, threw it back into the ocean, and said, "It made a difference to that one."

I think I confused myself, and forgot what else I was gonna say, so um don't mind me.

6. Flow

Flow Member

Thinking about suffering of others will make me even more depressed coz I feel like I am quite fortunate and better off than those people but I'm still depressed. Makes me feel guilty. But then, I think my problem is quite big too, at least big for me. :tongue: So...

7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It's good that you recognise that you are doing good from your job.

I obviously don't know what your condition is, but could you maybe volunteer on support lines or something like that, being there for people when they are in crisis.

Or maybe, if there is a charity involved in your condition, could you volunteer to help them somehow. You sound so caring, I bet that loads of people could benefit from your knowledge, expertise and experience about your illness.

Hang in there

8. whynot

whynot Active Member

I know what you mean. I feel this way constantly. Not so much the suffering of people who have health/family/issues but the fact that we're all mortal creatures not far removed from animals. There's no one person who has the answers, nothing is perfect, human beings are inherently flawed by nature. What's more depressing is that there are people who don't realize these sorts of things and act out like true animals, looking for dominance over others, looking at things on surface value without caring about deeper meanings. Society needs to be cleansed in many ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.