The Swine Flu...Again?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I thought it was over, but just heard it's flaring up in Hong Kong and the world health org. is thinking of calling it a 'pandemic' again.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The stuff I previously read indicated that most expected it to flare up much larger in autumn, as that... 195x pandemic did.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:eek:hmy: I hope not. :(

4. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Yep, I heard that about the fall thing too. :eek:hmy::unsure:

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I am kind of excited. If it were to get so bad as to wipe out like a third or half the population, we would be apart of history. We would be living in a time to be remembered! A time with something that happened. I want to be a part of something. As strange as that sounds, I want this to happen! It could just be that I'm suicidal and have a lot of hate as well.

6. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

if you're in a poor country with poor health care and not much money then i'd be worried, otherwise this is nothing but a nuisance. Well that is my perspective from Britain anyway as our health care is too good for people to die from this.

I guess it is different for the US bordering Mexico, but for western europe, Australia and Japan people wont die.

If it is in Hong Kong then the risk for the poverty struck areas of China is pretty big.

7. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

It all depends on if they can get the vaccine in time.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

9. flowerpot

flowerpot Well-Known Member

It sure as hell is not over here :| it's getting worse each day

10. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

Just like last time and the time before and the time before, this will come to nothing. This kind of thing sells papers, that is all

LOL the way she says 'the world is now in the beginning of the 2009 influenza pandemic' is like it's the world cup or something. I felt like cheering

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Pad, you have no idea what's going to happen. That's the point. This isn't about the newspapers or any other big business.

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best". This is the first time a level 6 pandemic has struck since 1968.

The 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic was seen as relatively harmless when it struck in the spring, but the next fall/winter killed tens of millions. http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/2009/t090526.htm

I'd say it's worth raising awareness ASAP.

12. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

How did the Swine Flu #1 work out? #2 will be no worse, enough said.

13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That's pretty poor logic, given that there's a specific precedent of wave 1 being mild/moderate and wave 2 killing 8% of humanity, and indeed most flu pandemics get worse the second time around - question is how much worse.

14. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

True I don't know whats going to happen, but I can see where this is probably going.The flu kills thousand worldwide already and spreads like wildfire yet it hardly gets a mention. Why? Because it's not new or big news.

15. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I keep getting papers in school about how to prevent swine flu.

It's getting annoying. :mad:

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Because governments have responses ready in advance [and it doesn't spread nearly as fast as this can]. Every year, at least in Canada, we're reminded for several months to have our seasonal flu shots...

17. Emerald

Emerald Active Member

They handed out a paper on it on the week before school got out and I felt it was common sense to wash your hands... :rolleyes:

18. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I'm not worried at all. If you live in a developed country, then your'e most likely to be well. This will pass, it's probably exactly like the Hong Kong flu in the 60's (it was like a normal flu, just slightly more bad, nothing else). In average, not many more people will die from this kind of flu than ordinary flus.
    Media (evening press) wants to sell single copies too so they so they see this as scoop, remember that.
    Take care!

19. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

However inconvenient or unecessary the precautions (and hyped the reactions) history has shown that it's well worth it and certainly better to be safe than sorry. The much evoked flu epidemic of 1918 started off in much the same way before claiming 100 million lives, most of them young, healthy adults. This flu is also part of the same family strain as well.

Might I note that most of those currently infected (30,000 confirmed) are also young, healthy adults. The theory is that the flu had been around long enough to allow most of the older generation immunity, but whatever the case the parallels are there. Keep in mind that there's also a lot more migration and traveling going on at this time then ever before, so the threat is certainly more credible.

It's not just the Spanish flu either. A similar pandemic in 1968 killed a good million or more as well, with, once again, a similar start. Frankly, sensationalist reporting and obnoxious precautions are a small price to pay for averting a pandemic, especially in these more interconnected times.

20. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

It's a pandemic in Australia.

But hey, swine flu isn't that that bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.