The System Sucks at Times - You want to talk about suicidal thoughts but if you do???

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by downunder, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

My counsellor says if you are having suicidal thoughts ring or talk to someone. But if you do you could end up in psych ward. I once mentioned it to someone and I ended up being dobbed in to the CAT team.

So it makes it hard you want to talk about your thoughts and get it off your chest, but then you know if you do, there could be consequences. I think I prefer speaking to someone I know and who knows my situation.

Then you might try and ring a crisis line and they are constantly busy.

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Re: The System Sucks at Times - You want to talk about suicidal thoughts but if you d

I don't know how the hospitals are there. The one here that I go to is pretty helpful. you are better off admitting your seif versus being Baker Acted. if you come in that way you have to go in front of a judge who determins if you are a danger to yourself or others.
    If you are in bad shape when you see him you run the risk of being sent to the state hospital.Never been there and I don't want to. The last time I was in there they wanted me to let them do electric shock therapy. I told them no thanks, noone is going to zap my brain and have me come out a veggie.
    I hope you find the help you need. Everyone here are there for you to talk to and give you options you might not have thought about. Stay Safe and Stay Strong...:chopper:

3. GaiaMischief

GaiaMischief Well-Known Member

Re: The System Sucks at Times - You want to talk about suicidal thoughts but if you d

Ditto. I'm afraid to ever mention the word suicide when I'm with my therapist. They have an obligation to intervene if you show any intention to go through with a suicide attempt. I can't say I blame them, but it really makes talking with a professional hard.

4. florizel

florizel Member

I've always hated therapist. Never trusted them. Most of the time they're just pretending that they're listening to us, but who knows what's going on inside of their heads? And the way they're treating us by the book!

Confront your moments of insanity. Depending on other people to make you feel better is just weak. You're the only person you can rely on, I always say.

And as to telling people about committing a suicide... well, don't. No one will ever support the idea. But telling them about your past attempts is sometimes okay. It won't really worry them, knowing that you must be a complete failure when it comes to killing yourself.

5. downunder

I am not meaning to say that you are going to do it. But you might want to discuss your triggers etc, your low moments, that you felt like doing it etc. Of course people are not going to support the idea.

6. Yana

Yana Active Member

I agree and I think it is wrong, but we live in a society where risk management and back covering come above all other considerations it seems. I've made a decision to never let anyone know when I feel suicidal or even to talk about it. It feels too unsafe. i think its sad that the issue cant even be discussed without complete overreaction.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I recently got a new shrink because the one I was seeing retired. This new guy kept asking me the same questions. I felt like tearing his face off!! I told him what is going on with myself and he freaked when I told him I am always suicidal I just haven't acted upon it. He wants to change all my meds. I told him it took a couple years of trial and error to get the combination I'm on now.
    He wants me to bring my sister with me for the next visit. I am not very comfortable with that. I love my sister it's just that she can't keep it to herself she has to share it with her friends. Then when there hear at the house visiting I feel like they are staring at me and judging me.
    I don't have a problem with my therapist. She has gotten me to come out of my room for a little while. She speaks her mind, if you are doing something she doesn't like she will come right out and tell you off. She doesn't pull any punches!! We have made some progress and I am grateful for that. I don't forsee me living a life style that is considered normal. I just don't trust anyone. It took a life time to just telling myself thatI am useless and I'm a failure. So how do you set a timline where you will be normal again? Oh well thats enough said...:chopper:

8. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

It's a quandary - how much can I say; to whom can I talk; how will they react; will they respect my feelings; will they believe that I just want to talk about it without thinking I'm going out the door and shooting myself?

My first admission was at the insistence of my primary care doctor, but this was after I had talked with him a number of times, and then he could sense that I wasn't safe any longer. I agreed to go voluntarily.

My counselor ordered me to admit myself the second time because I told her I didn't feel safe.

Over the past two years, I've talked about my suicidal ideation with a counselor, a psychotherapist, a psychiatrist, a new pcp and a few close friends. I've talked with each one about my true feelings with no talk of hospital. My psychotherapist has asked me a number of times as I walked out the door of his office if I was safe or okay. I've been surprised at how much trust the doctors have put in my word.

I hope you can find a therapist or counselor you can talk with openly without fear of being put in the hospital. Just let them know you want to understand what's going on in your head and want to talk about it, and you're not at immediate risk of death.

9. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

about 3 years ago, when i lived in Israel
    I used some sort of local Israeli forum for people with Depression.
    Once i wrote a short post about how i feel with few "suicide" words.
    5 Hours after that 2 cops, 2 social workers, and 2 volentiers came to my house
    it was in the middle of the night, and thay woke up the whole house.
    That how my parents found up about me beeing suicidial.

But the saddest thing about all this is the fact that my parents
    dont do shit about it, thay dont help me, and thay talk to me
    like i am some sort of a lazy guy who depressed just a bit!
    With years it become wors, now my mom say i dont even have a depression...

Ow, and the people who came to my house, just checked that im alive
    and then thay left...

10. downunder

I tried ringing Lifeline last night and was surprised to get through but I didn't like the sound of the lady's voice and got too scared to say anything, I didn't know where to start so hung up.

11. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

downunder, you could always start with "i don't know where to start".... that's more or less what i said when i called the hotline here in ireland. i have found it really helpful to call the hotline and talk about how i am feeling. could you try another hotline or another time when the shifts change?

congrats on making that phone call, it was a big step. i hope you can stay on the line a little longer next time.

12. ari

ari Staff Alumni

I spotted this post, and went on and read it once, then went on to re-read it again. To be able to talk about what you are really feeling and suicidal ideations is a very delicate subject. I have been to many therapists in my time. What I have found is that many people even in their most sincere want to help are not very comfortable dealing with ideations. Dealing with the subject of suicide is very delicate. There has to be a strong bond of trust with the person that you are talking with. The therapist that I am now working with is excellant. We have been working together for a very long time now, and the trust has grown over the years. Trust is my bridge to be able to talk about serious things. Every session the subject of ideation comes up. She doesnt often ask me anymore if I have a plan unless it is very apparent with mood and affect that I am struggling. Then she takes it from there, asking the severity, if I am safe. If I am not feeling very safe, but can keep myself somewhat safe, we both come up with a safety plan. More often than not it has worked. I have worked with this therapist for 6 years now and only three times when I have been seriously depressed and in danger has she taken my treatment out of my hands. It takes alot to find a good therapist. I have found that you can find them. It seems to me that you sort of have to interview them to see you and they will be able to work together. Therapy is much like a dance, and a job. We dance around being able to trust someone with our most intimate thoughts and feelings, we dance around what they will do with them and how they will treat us. In the end it is my opinion that person is working for you, make them dance for you.
    I dont know if anything that I said helped.
    ari

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.