The Taliban Will Have Nukes, THIS YEAR!!!!!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Godsdrummer, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

2. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

If this happens, I predict the USA, Isreal, and other western countries will be nuked before this year is over. :sad:
  3. Jehuty

Jehuty Senior Member

That... really doesn't make me happy. :(
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It makes me happy. I'm ready for some disasters, some chaos, and some death (hopefully mine).
  5. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

And pigs might fly. :dry:
  6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

What you forget is Pakistans nuke silos are guarded by Pakistani loyalists and Allied Soliders. They're fucking bunkers.
    Not to mention that India would roll right over the country beforehand because they would be the first to suffer, and lets not forget the hundreds of thousands of troops waiting in Afghanistan next door already.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:sad: :hug:
  8. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

It would be nigh on impossible for the so called Pakistani Taliban (as opposed to the Afghan) to take over the country and it's nukes.....the people of Pakistan don't want the Taliban, they want democracy (with a little bit of Islam).
  9. Brikka

Brikka Member

i feel the same way.
  10. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Provided they somehow actually got nukes, they probably wouldn't get them far before we shot them down.
  11. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

If that happened India would invade. But expect the Paki. government to start strongly cracking down on the extremists.
  12. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

This Taliban (Tehrik- e -Taliban Pakistan) is not the same as the one in Afghanistan. As a matter of fact, both these groups are sworn enemies. Some defense experts in Pakistan believe that this group is being funded by India, Israel and America to destabilize Pakistan and destroy their nuclear program. India has also been aiding separatist movements in NWFP, Balochistan and Sindh.
  13. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I dont know about them hating each other, but here's what I found out.

Pakistan Movement or Tehrik-e-Pakistan (Urdu: تحریک پاکستان) was the struggle carried out by the Muslims of British India to create a separate homeland in fear of losing their identity, culture and liberty to the dominant Indian culture of South Asia and the Hindu majority state. This struggle was led by the Muslim League and resulted in the partition of the British Empire in India. The movement was led by Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, along with such leaders asAllama Iqbal, Liaqat Ali Khan, Fatima Jinnah, Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy, A.K. Fazlul Huq, and Sardar Abdur Rab Nishtar among the many others.

History of the movement

Muslim League Working Committee at the Lahore sessionThe idea of a separate state was first introduced by Allama Iqbal in 1930[1]. Subsequently, the name Pakistan was proposed by Choudhary Rahmat Ali in his Pakistan Declaration in 1933.[2]. However, Muhammad Ali Jinnah and other leaders maintained their belief in religious unity.[3] It was only after, the volatile political climate and emerging religious hostilities between Hindus and Muslims that gave the idea a stronger backing.[4] 1937 election results was a major shift in Indian politics. congress succeeded in 7 provinces while in four provinces congress was defeated. among the four non congress provinces The Punjab and Bengal had not only power but also had resources( both human and physical). in Bengal Muslim league shared government with A.K.Fazlul haq Kirisk Parja party while The Punjab was neither with congress nor with Muslim league but under unionists, a secular party working under leadership of eminent man sir Fazl-e-Hussain. After Fazl-e-Hussain, sir Sikindar Hayat took leadership. in 1938, Punjab decided to select Jinah her bargaining agent in center and did an agreement Jinah-sikandar pact. so in a period of less then 15 months, with the tremendous support of Punjab and Bengal Jinaah made historic Lahore resolution. In 1940, at the occasion of its general session in Lahore, Muslim League passed the Lahore Resolution (also known as Pakistan Resolution) that became the main objective of struggle for independence. Soon after World War II, United states pressurize both Britain and France to abolish colonization. Britishers tried to develop a consensus among political players in India through Cripps mission and cabinet mission but due to the strictness of congress they finally divided it.. By 1947, British India was divided into a Muslim majority Pakistan and a Hindu majority India.
  14. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I've been doing research on Pakistan as per both personal interest and my international relations degree and I can safely say tha the Taliban, as resurgent as it is, is far form taking over the country. They represnt a lunatic fringe that is overwhelmingly outnumbered by the far-less conservative Muslim majority of the country (a majority that dominates the Army, which is commanded by mostly secular and anti-Taliban leaders).

They've maintaiend their strength mostly as a blessing of their local geography, which makes fighting them--as well as administering and developing the area--incredibly difficult, even for forces as advanced as ours. Now they may certainly take over all of that region (as they already have for the most part) but fighting through the large, mostly secular army to reach those well fortified nukes is a different story.

Besides, nukes aren't as easy to operate or launch as popular culture percieves. The Pakistanis have always dealt with these groups, even before Pakistan was created, and they're certainly not oblivious to the security dangers.

Very good topic to bring up by the way.
  15. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Pakistan sends troops to area grabbed by Taliban

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistani authorities on Thursday deployed paramilitary troops to a district, only 96 kilometers (60 miles) from the capital, where Taliban militants appeared to be consolidating control after this week's land-grab.

Pakistan has deployed paramilitary troops to a district taken over by the Taliban.

1 of 2 Militants locked up courthouses and seized court documents in the district of Buner, said police Superintendent Arsala Khan.

However, a highly placed Buner official said the judges left voluntarily after meeting with Taliban leaders.

A van carrying Frontier Corps paramilitary troops through the district came under fire Thursday. One police official was killed and another wounded, authorities said.

The troops were sent to protect civilians and properties, said Maj. Gen Athar Abbas, spokesman for Pakistan's military.

He said the government was monitoring the situation closely, and talks were under way among community elders, the civilian administration and the Taliban.

"Taliban is only in control of 25 percent of Buner district," Abbas said. "The Taliban will either move out or they'll be thrown out, one way or another."

The militant group's leaders met with community elders and the civilian administration Thursday and agreed that its members will not move about openly with guns nor will they disturb police, courts, schools, hospitals or non-governmental organizations.

The takeover of Buner brings the Taliban closer to the capital, Islamabad, than it has been since the insurgency started.

The Taliban commander in Buner, Mowlana Mohammed Khalil, gave a statement before Pakistani television cameras Wednesday, appearing with his face hidden behind a cloth mask.

"We came here only to preach Islam," Khalil said. He added that his fighters were carrying weapons only because they were an important symbol for Muslims.

The militants said they took control of the Buner district to ensure that Islamic law, or sharia, was properly imposed. The Pakistani government called the advance into the district a breach of a recently signed peace agreement.

Residents of Buner said the militants had set up checkpoints and were patrolling streets throughout the district.

"This is an open violation," Babik said. He said it was the government's duty to re-assert its authority in the region, and added that troops were being mustered to resist the Taliban.

"We are collecting from different parts of the province," he said.

A few hours' drive away, in the Pakistani capital, salesmen hawking Urdu newspapers in morning traffic on Thursday called out headlines over the din of car engines. IReport:Should the U.S. interfere in Pakistan?

"Taliban has entered Islamabad," a newsboy yelled.

On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Pakistan was in danger of falling into terrorist hands because of failed government policies, and called on Pakistani citizens and expatriates to voice more concern.

"I think that we cannot underscore the seriousness of the existential threat posed to the state of Pakistan by continuing advances, now within hours of Islamabad, that are being made by a loosely confederated group of terrorists and others who are seeking the overthrow of the Pakistani state, a nuclear-armed state," Clinton told the House Foreign Affairs Committee in her first appearance before Congress since being confirmed.

"I don't hear that kind of outrage and concern coming from enough people that would reverberate back within the highest echelons of the civilian and military leadership of Pakistan."

Mike Mullen, U.S. chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, was in Islamabad on Wednesday to meet with Pakistani officials.

Taliban militants implemented Islamic law in Pakistan's violence-plagued Swat Valley last week, before taking control of the neighboring Buner district. But Pakistan's ambassador to the United States, Husain Haqqani, told CNN on Wednesday that the situation was not as dire as Clinton described.

"Yes, we have a challenge," Haqqani said. "But, no, we do not have a situation in which the government or the country of Pakistan is about to fall to the Taliban."

Taliban fighters moved into the Swat Valley as part of a peace deal with the government that has come under fire from U.S. observers. But Haqqani compared it to the deals U.S. commanders in Iraq made to peel insurgents away from Islamic jihadists blamed for the worst attacks on civilians there.

Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani said at a news briefing Thursday: "I want to explain to the West and Hillary Clinton about the agreement. ... The agreement is actually a very good thing. ... It brings two parties to an agreement based on mutual understanding."

"We have to establish control of government in Malakand division," which includes Swat, he said. "If peace is not restored in that area [Malakand], certainly we have to review our policy."

"If there is an effort of Taliban-ization, we have the right to review our policy."
  16. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Someone has to condemn then, like we can trust a militant psychopath terrorist country with nuclear explosives. Fuck that.
  17. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It's a highly precarious situation and there really is no telling what will happen. While I don't think the Taliban will 'win,' they'll certainly be an active problem for some time...
  18. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

This story isn't getting much coverage in Sweden. Likely because the corporate and politically motivated media in the US are exaggerating it. I think what is more worrying is how the US government likely soon is going to respond to it.
  19. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Does anyone know if the Taliban's religious beliefs are so ingrained that they are willing to basically have a world "makeover"? Even if they could get their hands on some or even one nuke or "dirty bomb" and start the shit, they must realize that it's an all-or-nothing resolution. They surely can't believe that they would be spared.
  20. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Well, they do get 72 raisins when they die. Maybe they are eager to bake something.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.