The temptation doesn't really seem to totally go away

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by TaraJo, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

I haven't cut myself for several months but I am strongly tempted right now.

More in depth: I've been in a stable, healthy relationship with someone I've really gotten attached to. However, lately, she's gotten back into her video game addiction. Her days off are Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I spent Sunday with her and we went to temple and the Hong Kong Mall together. But, when we got back to her place, she proceded to spend the rest of the evening playing World of Warcraft. I wound up going to bed around eleven and hoped/expected her to follow before that much longer. Instead, she didn't come to bed until nearly 1am. Next day, she spent the entire freakin day playing that game, taking brief breaks to eat, and wound up going to bed around 2am!

It frustrates me; I don't want to be runner up to a video game to her. And, the more I think about it, the more upset I get. And the more upset I get, the more I want to cut myself again. I have to admit, if I cut, she would have a hell of a time ignoring me then.

For now, I'm fighting the temptation, but I can't say for sure how long I can hold off. I just really hate that stupid game right now.

2. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is an addict to video games - the feeling that you are second to a bunch of pixels is incredibly painful, and there's only so much you can do for them.

3. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Have you told her how you feel?? I can understand how it must be frustrating for you, maybe a few words with her would make her rethink. :hug:

4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I have not harmed in years and let me tell you the temptation never fully goes away 100% but it eases up incredibly and only very rarely does my mind wander to that option. So please know Tarajo it does get better.
    It really helps to get support too so keep posting...as you see we care.
    Bambi

5. TaraJo

TaraJo Banned Member

Well, I talked to her about how I feel and she didn't take it well. I put my foot down and told her that I won't be in a relationship with someone who chooses a video game over me, so as of now, we seem to be broken up. It needed to be done, but it still hurts and I'm still depressed.

Surprisingly, though, it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would and the desire to cut isn't really there, either. I'm starting to learn that, for me, the best coping mechanism is to just wait it out and the desire to cut will go away.

6. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

That is great Tarajo and so glad you are strong about standing up for what you want in this relationship...I am not the best at doing that so really admire you.
    Bambi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.