"The Tillman Story" & the F'ng U.S. Military

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I recently saw this documentary and I strongly suggest that anyone and everyone who has an opportunity to see it to do so.

Pat Tillman was an individual who exemplified the best in human qualities and was used by the U.S. military to further the unjust wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and who, in doing so, exemplify the worst!

There are no words really to describe the sheer disgust which one will experience after seeing this movie. The story has been leaked out bit by bit over the last few years as the Tillman family began to uncover the truth about how Pat died and how he was used by the military and the upper echelon of the government...all the way to the top, i.e. George Bush.

This link sums up the documentary and the story:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/movies/20tillman.html

For those that don't have the time to read the link, the short version would be as follows:

Pat Tillman was a professional football player who was on the verge of garnering a multi-million dollar National Football League contract. But he gave it all up to enlist right after the towers fell on 9-11-01. He was killed by "friendly fire" and not only was this covered up, but the military and the government used him as a "poster boy" to further their recruitment by making him out to be a hero, which he was...but not in the manner in which he was made out to be.

I thought I had seen, heard or read it all concerning the U.S. military bullshit in Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Kuwait, covert wars in Central and South America, ad infinitum.

BUT THIS IS TRULY BEYOND BELIEF!!!!!

2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I've read a lot about this, most recently in TIME (which also covered the film). It really is disturbing, and it makes me wonder how many other incidents like this have occurred. It's also interesting to note that Tillman's personal life was very much downplayed - the fact that we was leftist, atheist, intellectual, and even privately against the war didn't suit the Army's preferred image of a soldier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.