The Truth about Online Anorexia, 9pm ITV1

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Heavenly Star, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavenly Star

Heavenly Star Well-Known Member

ITV1 are showing a documentary about the world of pro-ana websites. It's hosted by Fearne Cotton and should be interesting.

Just to let you know

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I sky + it & I'm watching it now.

Instead of me thinking that all that's wrong I'm thinking why do I not have the motivation & drive to be like that?

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I can kinda imagine how this would be....the 'truth' being told on ITV that is. :mellow:

4. Moosey

Moosey Member

My response would have been a year ago to this a whole heartedly aggressive: Get rid of those sites.

However, my daughter has really changed my view of things, as has reading all that I have read and trying so hard to understand everything there is. Of course I haven't come close.

Not my fault, nor anyone else's. It's a very difficult topic to understand, and much like other such controversial topics, unless you have gone through it yourself, you will never completely understand it or grasp the struggle.

Awareness? I don't disagree with awareness, although I do agree that it will more likely have resulted in increased traffic to the addressed web sites than create backlash against them.

Why? Going back to that year ago, well, unforunately more parents are comfortable with denying anything is wrong than actually standing up and supporting their kids. I for one am at least comforted in knowing that my daughter can find someone who knows exactly the struggle she is going through, unlike me; and who is also quite capable of giving her advice, which she is more likely to take because said person is a true peer to her in the struggle, that will help her.

Now, I don't agree with any website, person, or action which in any way represents advocation to the progression of an ED. I never will. I accept, though, that there are people who just are not ready for the road to recovery. It is probably better for them to feel like there is a place for them to go, then for them to feel completely alone and without options.

During that time they might just meet someone who will inspire them, and change their minds; even if only to a small degree. I agree that the opportunity for harm to be done is there, but so to it the opportunity for help to be received.

Now, television reality shows are notoriously focused on the negative aspects of anything. Somehow, the majority of people tune in more to hear about the bad and get all agitated by it than anything else. Sad, but true.

However, as with anything else you are likely to discuss in life, the ideology and process of each website varies. So, not all websites are the same; not all of them are necessarily harmful; but not all of them necessarily advocate recovery either.

If I had to choose a "Pro-" standpoint right this moment, I couldn't, I'm afraid I just don't understand all of this well enough to say anything other than my own feelings on the matter.

I sincerely hope I haven't upset anyone, but all I have done is express my views on this, if you cannot handle that... you probably should have stopped reading before you got here, huh?

5. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I HATE pro-ana websites. They almost killed me.. I don't use them anymore, because my doctor found out where I got my "inspiration". Now I feel really, really bad about them, I was too sick to understand what the sites did to me and my family when I used them! They are dangerous! :(

6. xChristina

xChristina Active Member

I find them somewhat interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.