The United Nations

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Jul 26, 2009.

?

What's your general view of the UN?

1. Positive

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Negative

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Mixed

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Not Sure/Ambigious/Don't Know Enough

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I was curious as to what my peers felt about my possible future employer (though my career path may take me to other places, namely the State Department or some NGO or something). For the record, I plan to be field diplomat or humanitarian worker, not a pencil pusher (though I may need to intern in that capacity first).

Please be as honest, but civil, as possible. I look forward to everyone's opinions :)

2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

When I worked under a contract for the DoS(answering phones so it was nothing impressive lol) I always wanted to someday work at an embassy... it was pretty cool hearing about the stuff they did, so I would say go for the state dept :)

3. Zurkhardo

Thanks for that :) I've been leaning to it as well, especially after gathering some info on it (including a collection of various accounts by embassy employees around the world).

4. scorpio63

scorpio63 New Member & Antiquities Friend

The UN is a good idea, but most of their sanctions have no teeth.
    ie: the north korean ship being watched for nuclear/military materials but the UN wasn't able to board and search it.

5. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Positive. It was made to prevent a major conflict between powers of the world after WWII and some how thus far the UN has managed to do just that.

6. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

My view of the United Nations is limited and biased, that being due to what I have read or seen on TV. I feel it is a large and slow bureaucratic white elephant. Money vanishes into the bureaucracy and it takes too long for anything to change. My biggest concern is that UN Peacekeepers, if and when they are sent into dodgy locations are often sent with disastrously limited mandates (not to engage hostiles), which have resulted in the peace keeping force being totally ineffectual in countries such as Rwanda, Somalia, Lebanon and Bosnia, which resulted in Hutu's v Tutsi genocide and the massacre in Srbrenica. Also if popular press is to be believed, UN peacekeepers also have been involved in several scandals, such as the prostitution in Cambodia, the killing spree scandal in Haiti and the rape, child abuse and human trafficking in Congo.

That said, I am sure the vast majority of workers within the UN have nothing but good intentions, and with the case of most large organisations, it isn't the people who are rotten, it is the culture and complacency which needs addressing.

7. Zurkhardo

Thank you guys, I appreciate all that input. You were all right on the money in my book.

8. just.me

just.me Account Closed

I think the very core behind the UN is to make an army strong
    enough to stand against the west if necessary
    sure Europe and USA are ally's
    but during war there are lots of back stubs

so today we have 3 major military super powers
    USA, Europe (UN), and China
    with some "sub military" country, like Israel, Russia, UK, and North Korea

9. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

The UN is good.

The problem is, nobody listens to them.............. nobody cares.

ie the iraq war, israels continued brutal occupation and targeting of civilians.

10. Zurkhardo

All very true sadly. There are good intentions behind it but without solid backing - and with the fractionalized politicization of the involved countries - it's role is dire indeed.

However there has been much to show that the uptick in Peacekeeping missions and diplomacy has reduced the scope and frequency of conflict (though other factors contributed as well).

11. Zurkhardo

I'm surprised I've heard no mention of any One World Government conspiracies and such. I usually do when I bring this topic up elsewhere XD

12. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I could care less about the America or the world anymore so I really could give a shit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.