the vehicles that run on air

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by LostMyMind, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

http://zeropollutionmotors.us/

There are videos about them here..
    http://zeropollutionmotors.us/?page_id=46

They are to be released in 2010 in USA.

What do you think about these, would you drive one? The price tag isn't too bad, between $15,000-$20,000. If I can get one I would, I don't really dig the style of them much but I would still love to have one. Particularly the truck or small car.

2. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe I'm being naive - but I'm very interested in purchasing an alternative fuel vehicle at some point, and MDI Air Car is one of the options I've been considering. In fact, this car and I seem to have a lot in common. The car requires air to function - so do I. The car is lightweight - ditto. It's environmentally friendly - I aim to be as well. It's funny looking - I'm... hey, shut up!

It's safe to say that the next few years are going to be very exciting for automotive technology industries and budget conscious, green-minded consumers. I would guess I'd rather start out with an electric or electric-hybrid vehicle since there are many more models of those available, and some might be better suited for certain situations. It all depends on what will fit my transportation needs at that time.

Eventually though, as more technologies (some of which are listed here) advance and more models prove trustworthy and viable, I'll be ready to transition from an electric vehicle to something like compressed-air, or maybe some form of fuel-cell, or who knows what else. Here's an example of a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. The large power plants supplying electricity are what will make the important difference in terms of environment, and I have confidence we'll succeed in making the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy. As awesome as it would be to have one's own convenient solar, wind, or water energy source to replenish vehicles at home, the majority of consumers will continue relying on public energy grids.

There's plenty of time to decide, but I'd like to personally test drive one of these air cars once they're available here in the U.S. I remain skeptical on the safety, maneuverability, and advertised speed, but I'm very much impressed by the affordability, low maintenance/ fuel costs, mileage, and range estimations. I noticed this listed under vehicle specifications: "Co2 - 0.141 lbs/mile (at speeds >35mph; zero emissions at <35mph)" - so there is some output of carbon dioxide in most commuting scenarios, but remarkably less than most vehicles. The EPA's "Emission Facts" report, published in April of 2000 provides data for national passenger car emissions. Page 2 of the report states that an average passenger car emits 0.916 lbs/mile of CO2.

I'm mainly trying to imagine just how much money could be saved without having to rely on the pump with today's rising gas prices in mind. I'm not sure on the costs involved in recharging electric cars, but I doubt it would be very much. The air car has the potential to be one of the cheapest vehicles yet, assuming they can truly back up everything being advertised and produce these on schedule. I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see.

3. LostMyMind

4. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Small efficient cars.... America has some big changes to make.

5. One of the things that is rather constantly overlooked by us, the consumers, is the "true cost" of anything. Everything that goes on before (which is just about infinite - and which very much always affects the environment). We only ever think in terms of the finished product - our entire focus is on WYSIWYG. And the manufacturers are entirely focused on their "bottom line".

Looking for instance at the "first oil crisis" in the early 70's - and how all other technology has expanded *exponentially* (other than full, deliberate and determined expansion of renewable resources - which was indeed available), it's not merely sad, but downright disgusting and infuriating.

The true "bottom line" as far as the earth is concerned, is that we generally all live unsustainably. And until that changes (which I don't actually hold out any hope for) - it doesn't much matter what "small" changes we make...We simply don't/won't give anything up. And even when we do (or think we have), we fully expect - and even demand - 'a replacement' so that we won't be inconvenienced...:dry:

6. LostMyMind

7. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I'll believe in this stuff when I see it function, not before. Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like it all to work, but some of the stuff at that ZPG site looks kind of goofy to me, as with a 75 HP engine pushing a 1,900 pound vehicle up to 96 MPH.

Even companies with a somewhat proven technology that have been around a while seem to be having trouble. Ballard Power, a fuel cell company I'm sort of familiar with seems to be one of those companies with the next big thing on the horizon. Only problem is that's where it stays.

8. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Called up my one and only gearhead friend about this and he laughed at me. There're motorcycles out there w/75 HP that'll top 200 mph. There're also apparently some tweaked vehicles w/75 HP engines (some older European sports sedans) that will easily do 120.

In sum, my bad. This isn't all that unreasonable. Last time I pretend, even to myself, that I know anything about cars. :laugh:

9. I sure hope that these vehicles get made and sold before the gas price crisis gets much worse. $4 per gallon is just horrible and wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.