The Waiting Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConfusedSilence

I hate that phrase. The waiting "game". It's not a game, it's a life choice that nobody chooses. I'm not even sure what I'm waiting for. I know a few things. I'm waiting for somebody to spend more than five minutes thinking about how I might feel. I want them to get me help. I actually really want help so that I don't cry whenever someone blames anything on me, or so that I'm able to say that I had a nice day. I have nothing against psychiatrists if they can help me not hate myself and everyone around me. I just need somebody to show that they think that I'm worth the effort it takes to tell a doctor. It was my birthday yesterday. I've been waiting for four years now.

Here's hoping that I win the game.

GoldenPsych

Have you looked in to why you feel like you do. Meds are all well and good but they will not deal with the reasons why you feel like you do. Just make the feeling better. Yeh so while it's a waiting game for meds to work etc, there is other stuff you can do in the mean time.

Have you been to the doc about it. If not please make an appointment and get the help you deserve. No one should go through it on their own without support.

xxx

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
Belated happy birthday...have you told ppl in your life what you want? if there is someone you trust and care about, maybe you can say that you want _____________ from him/her...often times we do not get what we want because we do not express it...also, others blaming things on you should be met with limits...you can be your own advocate and only allow the appropriate blame to be placed on you...again, happy birthday, and if you want, please PM me...J

solutions

Meds are all well and good but they will not deal with the reasons why you feel like you do.xxx
Well, if it's a cooperatively treatable underlying mental disorder causing the problem, they will. That's assuming the TC sees a psychiatrist but not a therapist right away. But I don't think that's a good idea, anyway--this is a bit of a judgment call. Therapy can alleviate mild to moderate depressions, but if the depression is severe, therapy is pretty much useless. If you just want to talk to someone for any reason, someone who will listen without judgment and offer any advice you specifically ask for, start with a therapist. If you're not interested in talking to someone about your problems (like me--I only use my therapist to help me get into other programs), then go for a psychiatrist first. And make sure it's a good one. If you meet this guy/girl and they seem totally incompetent, which isn't uncommon, find another one. (I had a friend whose psychiatrist prescribed a combination of meds that was almost fatal, the reason being because she was on heavy dosages of a benzodiazepine, an addictive drug, and was told to stop them cold turkey, causing a slew of extremely serious side effects.)

And yes, the "waiting game" is no fun.

ConfusedSilence

I'm not on any meds (I've never seen a psych before), and I don't know if I could trust myself near any drugs at all. I told my friends how I felt when my feelings started to crush me, and it hasn't got me anywhere, so I don't talk about it. It isn't fair to dump my problems on them, but I can't go to a doctor by myself. What if they say that the way I'm feeling is completely normal or "it's just a phase". I can't keep feeling like this and not be able to do anything about it. That might push me over the edge.

I'll try to go to a doctor. I think it's what I want to do, but it's difficult.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, it really means a lot.

if you aren't sure what to say write it down in a letter and give it to them to read. you can say how long you've felt this way and that it's not a phase. get it all down so you don't forget anything. you can post it here for feedback if you like. or you could print out this thread and take it with you. don't be shy about asking for help. i did the same thing 3 years ago and it's the best thing i ever did. i got more help than i imagined possible.

ConfusedSilence

It's not what I'd say. That I've rehearsed in my head a million times. It's getting the courage to go there in the first place. I can think of so many reasons for them to ignore me. They can say that it's just part of being a teenager, the blues, exam stress. It's almost easier to believe that I'll be ignored than to go and be proven right? No, it's definately easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00