The wish to fight and destroy God - is it so uniq?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Summer.Rain, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

You know guys, in my 23 years old misreble life i actualy never saw
    anyone who wanted to destroy god. i saw people who said they hate god
    i saw people who dont beliave in god, i read about battles between
    angels and demons and so on.. but i never actualy met anyone with my ideas.
    I beliave that after we die we meet some sort of a beeing that got full controll
    over us in there (the so called after life). Now usally people accept it
    i guess they like the idea of beeing controlled by others and to follow thair rules.
    I guess many will say that one cant fight god, or destroy him
    but history teaches us the one can do anything if he really want to
    and add to this the fact that after death there are no limits...
    And ofcourse anything can be eventualy destroyed.
    There were one angel that actualy went against god, today he got his
    own place with his own rules (hell), i want such place for myself as well!
    Anyways what you guys think?
    Do you accept the fact you are under controll by some sort of creature that says he is god?
    Oh and one more thing, in the encient egipt people though they cant
    kill thair god as well (even though he was human just like they are)
    today we know they did it... and i bet many said its impossible.

2. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

why did they do it? how do we know they did .. and also which god.. the egyptians had many and there are many different gods if you look at diff religions. i know people who still work with egyptian gods so how can they be dead? is there one god but different names or several? if god is omnipotent how can god be destroyed unless god destroys itself?

3. Summer.Rain

well lets say it that way, when ill die, if there is this big glowing beein
    out there that will talk to me and tell me how good or bad i was...
    i will destroy it or at least try my best to do so.
    About other ways to detroy god... you can destroy religion and eraze
    the idea of god, inforse a law against spirituality and so on.
    Well surely i cant really do it, but if we look at christianity, islam, jewdisem
    the all beliave in this 1 spiritual beeing that created everything and controlling it, if it is in fact over there, then i do got something to fight

4. soliloquise

i don't believe in any being who will judge no.. i believe that it is me who will judge me.. if you know what i mean. but i do believe in god.. just not a christian one. the whole concept of judgement in the biblical sense is crap imo and creates much fear in people, but then that is its purpose.
    i dont see how by destroying religion you would destroy god. in fact destroying religion imo would be a good thing, it causes so much pain esp christianity.
    yes christians, jews and muslims do worship the same god... but there are many religions that worship differently named gods or goddesses.

5. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, first, you're going to have to tell me where he is. I don't see how you can destroy something that isn't there.

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I don't think the one true God can be destroyed, hurt, damaged, or offended in any way. I think God only sees your inhernet worth and goodness. He will never judge you. But as for beings that may judge you in the after life, I'm with you. Fuck them. Fuck anyone who judges you. You are your own judge. If hell is where you wish to be, be there.
    God does not control you. He only wishes to share his love with you. You have free will, and control yourself. You can curse God all you want and he will still love you. :hug: :heart:

7. soliloquise

saying there is one true god is only opinion...
    there are many gods many names, no religion is the right one or only one. it is about what is right for the individual ultimately.
    no path is better than another

8. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

by Sybil Fawlty from Torquay, special subject the bleedin obvious...

if there really is a God, THE God...you can't win. if there really isn't a God, as in The God Of Abraham and all that, then....what is the bloody point?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Why do people hate God?

If I said I don't give a damn about you then you don't care at all. But if God said he doesn't give a damn about you then you get all upset about it. So is that God's problem or the expectations you have about God?

10. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Summer.Rain: Such a thing is impossible based on the Christian belief system. However, if you look at the Gnostic text "On the origins of the world" you will see that one theory about the creator god is that he is not the creator god, but rather the child of something called Pistis (which means Wisdom apparently), begotten of chaos and a fundamentally flawed being. However, having glanced through the rest of the Nag Hamaddi texts, the Goetia, Crowley's books and even wiccan books I own, I've not found anything like your suggesting.

I suggest you read a comic book series called Preacher, which touches upon the issues you raise. Plus its awesome.

11. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Man created god and as such can destroy him.

12. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

This is half true in certain offshoots of evangelical christianity, which still believe in God as the supreme being, but believe in "becoming one" with God, therefore themselves becoming beings of equal power (so, if one were so inclined, assuming the accended into Heaven after life, it would be a bit like Godzilla Vs Mothra)

For the idea that Man created God, I find no evidence of this in the creation stories of the Bible, the Koran, the Torah or the Book of Mormon. Even most Gnostic scriptures, especially those not concerned with the acts of the apostles, acnowledge that God/Pistis/Chaos existed before Man.

Going back to non Christian/Judaic belief systems, The Iraquois believe in the existence of a sky man and sky woman, who gave birth to twins, one called sapling (who gave rise to humanity). The greeks (and by cultural osmosis, the Romans) believed that Promethius, on the orders of Zeus, created Man. Similar stories run with the Egyptians, Sumarians and Aboriginies. I can't think of a single belief system that actually believes that man created God.

(I know, complete geek, right? I've got a massive stack of books on this stuff)

13. UndeddMonkey

UndeddMonkey Member

Summer.Rain, your desire is not entirely unique. I've met a couple people in life who conduct ceremonial practices in order to remove power from God and eventually destroy him/her. Of course a theological belief system that allows for this would be a prerequisite. For instance, as mentioned before the beliefs of Christians dictate that God cannot be harmed or destroyed by humans so if you believe that then it would be a pointless effort.

14. saint6

saint6 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt mind fighting god if he was real, he seems like a real dick to me :dry:

15. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

St Thomas Aquinas actually had something interesting to say on that subject. In Cato Theologicus, he says (to paraphrase):

"Such is the goodness of God, that he allows bad things to happen, so that his love can be shown"

Its a pretty crappy, egotistical way of looking at things, but there is a certain sence to it.

16. Summer.Rain

Yeah sure lets start a nuclear war just so that we will end it and show
    everyone how good we are :dry:

17. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Way to take that out of context :rolleyes:

18. Ziggy

That's all well and good as long as God's love can be seen, but there's little evidence of it.

19. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

hence me writing
    By the term "certain sence", I was of course refering to things like David, who had Goliath put in his way, defeated him and rose to be King of Israel. This is the key arguement of charismatic preachers such as Benny Hinn and Joel Osteen, who's arguments are things like "whatever worked to your disadvantage, God will turn it around and use it to your advantage" (source: Joel Osteen: its time to begin again Nov 2008)

I don't believe this, of course, but viewed in this context, the above passage by Aquinas can be interpreted in an easily understood (and hence, easily manipulated) way. In other words, Im agreeing with you Ziggy, I just thought it was an interesting point.

20. Ziggy

Good things happen to all people, all people can triumph over adversity, or get a lucky break, but for some people God has to take the credit for this. How people try to justify this I don't really understand.

I find it amusing that people said "God created the heavens" when they thought the heavens were fixed and eternal. When they realised the universe was going to wipe itself out we resorted to science. Again we said "God created nature" when we thought nature was beautiful and sweet. But then we realised just how ruthless and brutal nature was, so we put it down to science again. We give God the credit for all the good stuff, but then we eventually discover it's not as good as we thought it was.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.