The World is Depressing

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by MrBill, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBill

MrBill Active Member

Does watching the news ever get you depressed? I'm sort of a news junkie, and like to keep up to date on what's going on in the world. From our economy going down the toilet, to the moron in the White House keeping tensions high in the mideast and with threats to Iran and those he doesn't like, the disaster in Iran. SOmetimes it's enough to make you nutty. I guess I still have a trace of hope within me that once the current dumbass in chief leaves the white house and hopefully someone competent takes over, that things will start to turn around. That's a long way off however, and Bush can still do a lot of damage. Whoever takes over in 2009 will really have thier hands full. I just hope it's not a Republican, or we're finished. Just my thoughts!!!!:rolleyes:

2. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Can't you Americans impeach your president or something? You should really consider it!!!! Show the world all americans are not sheep.

3. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well-Known Member

Impeach our president and replace him with someone equally retarded? :rolleyes:
    I can't believe that people are actually behind this war with Iran thing.... HOW MANY CAUCASIANS need to die to defend Israel?! EVEN IF Iran got weapons of mass destruction they have no ICBM'S. The solution would be to kick all arabs out of the country, and then we would have nothing to fear, other than Israel meeting its maker.

4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Yes. The news is most depressing. Especially being American and knowing the whole world thinks I'm completely stupid because of the idiot running things here. We could do better than Clinton but we could do a lot worse, too. And the last 6 years is proof.

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

For crying out loud. Yes, Bush has been a disappointment (and I'm a freaking Republican!), but let's settle down here. The world is what it is. We really need to settle down and stop being a 2 party system in the US! No-one with any vision has a fucking chance. Democrats and Republicans...blah blah blah...they're all the same except on certain issues which are rarely if ever addressed. No real policy change ever happens regardless of who is the president, because this 2-party system is designed to cater to the status quo. It's all bullshit. What we need is real competition between qualified individuals who actually care about something other than their reputation and financial gain. Nothing will ever get done at this rate.

6. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

It's for a good reason thet I avoid watching the news. It just makes me depressed.

7. Whitewolf

Wow, I completely agree. :blink: I didn't expect you to say something like that, good job! :biggrin:

8. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

I agree with what Anastasia said. Aside from my declarations of Bush and others bringing the apocalypse, which most would say are not well-founded.

Both of the U.S.'s main parties make me sick to be honest. I identify myself as a Republican but more and more I'm thinking Libertarian/Independent. To think, I used to support George W. because I believed he was a well-meaning man of values. Ah, naivety. I'm old enough to vote now, but I don't know which way I'm going to go if I'm around come next election.

I do avoid watching the news, and TV in general with the exception of a few shows. My mom says I should know these things that are happening, both serious and not, but I don't see myself changing my ways any time soon. I should keep myself better-informed, though. Perhaps I will watch news in small doses.

9. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

Hmm... interesting read.

Yes, this is an awfully depressing world. People are out there killing one another and making advancements in weaponry to do more of the same while I sit on my fat ass in front of the computer all day drinking Coke Zero.

10. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Bring back Bill Clinton! I'de rather your president be a liar about sleeping with another woman than a liar about things that actually matter to the world. And he plays the saxaphone and smokes cigars, he's way to criminal to be bad.

11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

:laugh: A disappointment? The understatement of the last two decades. Bush has been a disaster. No. Not a disaster. Katrina was a disaster. Nobody causes the weather. Bush has been more than a disaster. He's a self inflicted wound.

Well, you have people with vision and then you have people with vision. Castro had vision. Stalin had vision. Hitler had vision. Careful what you wish for. Most of us just want a president with a brain. I don't trust the Republicans anymore because not only did they thrust Bush upon us, but they marched in lockstep with him and rubber stamped everything he wanted to do for as long as they had control of Congress and the Senate.

Some of the Democrats have been two-faced as well (just so you don't think I'm letting them off the hook). I don't really trust Hillary but what choice is there? Rudy? No thanks. Ron Paul? Not a chance. Obama is probably the most sensible alternative but I don't think he's going to get the nomination.

You have a minor point. However, you're not taking into consideration the real power of the president. The next president will, almost certainly, heavily influence at least two more Supreme Court justices. And also the next attorney general. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not a Republican and I don't want to see a Republican dominated Supreme Court for the next 30 years. Alito and Roberts were actually (surprisingly) halfway sensible choices but I don't like Alito's stance on presidential signing statements and expanding the power of the president. Roberts strikes me as a bit more of a moderate but I'm not too sure about him. I know who nominated him. I'd rather err on the side of caution and have a liberal SC any day.

Well, politicians have to care about their reputations. They put all that time in energy into fundraising and campaigning. If you want to get reelected, you don't do things that are unpopular. Anyone who has the balls to do what needs to be done won't be reelected.

12. Whitewolf

WOW, you couldn't of described me better than that! :blink: 100% agree, 100% similiar circumstances.

13. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Agreed, just seems hopeless. Never any really good news. It's like humans aren't doing much to progress. We are wasting time on stupid things that don't matter(much). The united states has been hijacked, by people who use it for their own power gain and agenda. Think about how many wars and bombings the United States has done over the last 60 years. Less power to the government and president and more power to the people I say. They aren't suppose to control us like sheep are suppose to control them. That is what democracy is about, being able to choose . I seen a statistic, about bush, said 70 percent of americans want him impeached, but for what ever reasons no one can do it. How many fucking terrorist attackes have we had since 9/11? 0? and how many new unconstitutional laws have been passed for "security" a lot. Doing what ever they want in the disguise of security. Bush has done more damage to our contry than any terrorist organizations have. If we put things below us like being superficial and greedy and apathetic, intolerant etcetera, we could focus and more important things. Like making the world better by ending poverty, advancing science and medicine, education and society. We are moving slower in our evolution that we should be imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.