The "You gotta love a guinea pig" Thread

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Terry, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I love guineas and have had a fair few in life.

The first one we had was called weet weet (cos of the noise he made).
    He loved my father to death and would follow him everywhere.
    One winter, he got out and tried to follow him to work, ended up frozen solid in the snow.
    Dad rushed back with frozen guinea, stuffed him in a sock and shoved him in the oven :eek:hmy:
    Pulled him out and threw whisky down his throat..............low and behold one drunk guinea running round the kitchen :laugh:

The next guinea to grace my life was actually bought as a pressie for my son.
    This was the guinea to end all guineas.
    Even though we went on to have Scrooge, Humbug, Marley and Bumble, this guinea was the best!
    We named him weet weet after the original guinea, but somehow he ended up being called Dolly Schmoff (don't ask :laugh: ).
    Dolly decided that I was the love of his life and spent a lot of his time in the sleeve of my dressing gown, preferably when I was wearing it.
    When he died I. buried him in that dressing gown, even though it had cost a small fortune.

When we first got him, we didnt realise he needed his food bowl with him and had him running free in the front room.
    Some hours had passed and I just made me and son a rice pudding for dessert.
    Came in with my delicious bowl of rice pudding, got spoon, went to take first bite, when Dolly leapt into the bowl and proceeded to eat my rice pud!
    I love rice pudding :mad: but I guess I loved that guinea more :laugh:
    He went everywhere with us, so holidayed all over the UK, much to the amusement of the locals.
    He ate the Christmas tree.
    He left little pressies all over the house (they make a pinging noise when vaccuumed up) and I miss him to this day. :sad:

What's your guinea pig stories?

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I went to see my pdoc one day. There was a ton of noise coming from his talk room...and I'm not talking talk.

I heard squeaks, squawks, funny whistles...and then some grunts. :eek:hmy: After a few minutes, I heard some mumbles and then a "snap".
    When the door opened, a huge man holding two or three animal carrying cases came out. I heard a rush of funny noises again, and got a
    peek at the guineas inside. I didn't know until that day that guineas made noises. I have found them cute and fascinating ever since.

I guess I'll never know why they all needed to see a pdoc. :dunno:

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

lol that is funny

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

When I was six, my best friend, Steven had two guinea pigs which squeeked like rubber toys, and bit like little painful clamps...so much fun! I did feel envious as I had small turtles and it is hard to hug a turtle

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Lol Acy! A guinea pig shrink whatever next?!

I'd send you one J if I ever work out how to get round our animal shipping laws :blink:

6. octopod

octopod Active Member

I luvved my guinea pig. And he luvved lettuce. During a strike by California workers, lettuce was in short supply for a while. (Lived in a high rise, so no garden.) When I went to the grocery store to get my usual box of cast-off lettuce leaves, I had to do some fancy talking to convince the produce guy that I really did want the lettuce for a pet and not for me. Never could sleep late on weekends because Widge would bang his salt spool against the cage when he wanted breakfast. And I couldn't open the fridge door ANYTIME without a reminder from him that it must be snack time. He was a long-hair guy, orange and white, with a punk cowlick hairdo. Died from pneumonia. Never had another. But dang he was cute.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.